Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:23:06 PM EDT
What do you think of this model?  Whats your experiences?  I know that its expensive and I could save some money if I just peice it out.  I figure that is has pretty much everything I want.  Do you think the additional aftermarket peices are good quality and are there any problems with them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site!

i would guess that RRA's govt model is just like any one of their  other models--top quality

cant go wrong with em
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What do you think of this model?  Whats your experiences?  I know that its expensive and I could save some money if I just peice it out.  I figure that is has pretty much everything I want.  Do you think the additional aftermarket peices are good quality and are there any problems with them?

Build your own. It will be cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one when the ban ended.  I had been a 308 guy for a while and wanted to switch to a 5.56.  The ban pissed me off and I found myself wanting an AR so when it expired (which I hardly believed happened) I decided to snap one up before a new ban came along.
I didn’t have time to learn much about ARs (I joined the site to help with this decision) but I did some reading and the torture test the DEA and FBI FTU put the RRA through sounded impressive.  I figured they were in a better position than me to evaluate an AR so I went with it.
Since then I have hummed and hawed about getting a superlight upper and sometimes thought perhaps I should have got a superlight from the get-go.
Last week I tried out my awesome Beta-C mag and ripping off lots of rounds quickly makes me happy about the Hbar so I don’t care any more.
I am really happy with my Gov’t model.  It has been flawless so far feeding, firing and ejecting everything I have run through it.  It shoots where I point it.  It came with pretty much everything I wanted except for a few minor add-ons (Tango Down VFG, rail protectors).
If I had to do it again I would go with the same AR.  It is an awesome package ands there are MANY other purchases I am less comfortable with having made than this one.

You might be able to piece one together cheaper but I don’t think you’d regret the Gov’t model.

And welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard, M998

The Gov't model is a good AR15, but you would be better off buying a top end base AR15 like the Colt, Bushmaster, or RRA and add a couple of accessories important to you

The $2,000+ would get you a lot more gun IMHO.

Check out the RRA Entry model, Colt LE 6920, or Bushmaster M4A3 and go from there

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was goin to buy one I was goin to get the RRA Entry Tactical.  But then I start to look at the Govt model.  I started to really like it.  The packaging is just about perfect for me.  Has everything I want and plus I dont have to track down all the extra peices.  I did find a site that is selling for $1999.  I feel the price isnt too bad, thats the cheapest I've found online.   Who knows I'm still trying to figure out what options I want.

thanks for welcome.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
They are killin you on the price with the Eotech, Surefire Quad rail, Surefire M951, and the flip up rear site.  You are paying top dollar.

If you were to buy the Tactical or Entry Tactical, you could add the above mentioned items for a lot less.  Your cost would be lower about $500 if you shop around.

Brownells offers some great discounts for LE.  You can pick up an Eotech 552 from Greensupply for $340 and the 512 for $289.  

Good luck on your descision.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a RRA Tactical CAR A4 back before the ban ended, and ended up evilifying it until I pretty much had the Government Model.  The stock rifle was about $835 or so.  Let's do a little math shall we?

(Some of these prices were government discounts, but you could probably do better with a little shopping around on the EE.)

Eotech 552 - $335 or so
Arms #40L flipup BUIS - $100 (this one is more compact than whatever they have on there, and more expensive than the standard #40
Surefire M73 Quad Rail - $200

I bought a Surefire G2 and an Vltor scout mount for my lighting needs along with a VFG, but let's just say you wanted to buy the M951 light they have on there.  On Surefire's website the better model runs for $445.  Add $50 or so for a chrome lined barrel on the Tactical CAR A4 (which mine doesn't have), and you're hitting $1965 for what you see there.

That leaves you some money to buy some nifty extras like more mags, a VFG, or a better stock than the one they have on there.  (I bought an LMT SOPMOD, and it's ridiculously comfortable to shoot and is rock solid.)

Of course, sometimes it's worth the premium to have everything put on there right the first time, and not have to wait for all the pieces.  It's up to you.

It's a great gun, whatever you decide.  My RRA has had zero problems for me.  

Anyway, now you have some quantification.  hnot flush with the top rail of the receiver, which may cause you issues depending on how you want your sighting gear set up.  If you wanted to mount an EOTech with one of those nifty magnifier thingies in front of it that I've been hearing about lately, you may run into difficulties.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Eaglefirearms.net has them on sale for 1999, 200 dollars off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
You can definitely build one yourself for cheaper.   BTW, you can't touch a 552 for less than $399.  EOTech prohibits dealers from advertising any lower.  If you notice, the rock bottom prices you'll find anywhere are all the same (511s are $299, 512s and 551s are $332, and 552s are $399).  Also, EOTech's prices just increased for 2006, so grab one at the 2005 price while you still can.  Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a good rifle, but you can build one much cheaper than buying the complete thing from RRA.  Piece it out and you will spend a lot less.  You pay near MSRP for that stuff they put on the rifle.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Build one yourself.  You can do it cheaper and you will learn a ton about the rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotta ask, M998 refers to the HMMWV?  Why did you pick that?  63B by any chance?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also, EOTech's prices just increased for 2006, so grab one at the 2005 price while you still can.

5% increase IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]
All I would suggest is look at EVERYTHING!!! I have used AR's @ work for the last decade but got out of personal ownership for a while. Now i'm back with a vengence. The RRA DEA got me interested again, so I bought a Bushy changed everything on it then sold it...loosing money in the process. AR's are the one avenue that allows you to build piece by piece and have it come out equal or less than if you bought a complete gun. Think about every part you want your gun to have and get it right the first time, you wont be disappointed.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can definitely build one yourself for cheaper.   BTW, you can't touch a 552 for less than $399.  EOTech prohibits dealers from advertising any lower.  If you notice, the rock bottom prices you'll find anywhere are all the same (511s are $299, 512s and 551s are $332, and 552s are $399).  Also, EOTech's prices just increased for 2006, so grab one at the 2005 price while you still can.  Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Eotech 552 = $345.00 at www.greensupply.com if you are a member/dealer
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmm.  I wonder how I got my 552 rev. f  for $350?  Answer:  Dealers don't always charge advertised price.

Quoted:
BTW, you can't touch a 552 for less than $399.  EOTech prohibits dealers from advertising any lower.  If you notice, the rock bottom prices you'll find anywhere are all the same (511s are $299, 512s and 551s are $332, and 552s are $399).  Also, EOTech's prices just increased for 2006, so grab one at the 2005 price while you still can.  Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top