Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 1:10:36 PM EDT
i have a 1-9 twist bm h-bar how heavy of proj. can i shoot?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
69 grains will certainly stabilize.  If it is a true 1-9, not 1-9.5 or so, it will also stabilize 75 to 77 grain bullets.  Only way to know for sure is to try some.  If they go into the target straight, they're good to go.

Some barrels end up being a little slower or faster than the advertised twist due to mfg tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer:  It depends.

I have a 1:9 barrel and 68 Gr  Hornady boat-tail hollow points fly straight and don't  seem to have any hint of keyhole at 500yds.  

Geek answer: Stability will depend on more than weight, but the specific way that's distributed over the length of the bullet you select, to wit, it's shape.  There's not a lot of variation in that, though for quality bullets.  Also, your barrel's particular imperfections and tolerances will have some influence.

Shoot lots, see what works best for you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top