Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 8:49:34 AM EDT
Going to build a new yote gun and wanted some input and some ideas of where to look for the items I need.
Looking to buy a 300 wisper upper for my ar but dont know where to find one except SSK. 1100.00 is way to high . Any one got any ideas.
Also going to get a can, this is to be used to hunt yotes. Is this a good idea or would I better to sink my cash in something else
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 Sales and Olympic arms make 300x221 fireball uppers with the 1 in 8" twist barrel (good for stabilizing subsonic bullets).  I believe J&T makes it with a 1 in 10" twist that is supposed to fine for supersonic bullets.  Take a look at www.quarterbore.net for the most info on this caliber - I don't have one yet, but it apparently is able to do the job on feral hogs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
For Coyotes?  I think I'd be inclined just to go .223, assuming you don't already have one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 223 but they are known to let a few yotes  run off and was thinking about the 300 wisper plus adding a can later on
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
That would make sense.  As an alternative, have you thought about a 6.8 upper?  I imagine that would be a great round for heartier coyotes.  I think .300/221 is a neat round, though.  If you're looking for an excuse to buy one, I would go ahead and do it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a SSK so I can't comment on the others. It is incredible. I shoot corbon subsonic 220s. I just shot it the other day and we took turns going down range and listening to it at 50-200m, it is no louder than a bug going by.

If I did it again I would just buy a barrel and gas system from SSK and put it on my own upper.

I have friends that have shot a bunch od deer and four elk with the 220 subsonic and had great results.

Outside of 100 you bettter have range markers or a laser range finder. I don't know if it's the best for coyotes in regard to needing to shoot fast. i don't know what your situation is. But if you have time to lay down and laz everything and build a range card you should be able to hit to 300 if you have time to dail it up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Noveske can also make one in 300 whisper.  We are working with them and jet on an LW 300 whisper piston gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Just finished building a 300 Whisper from a barrel from Model 1 Sales.  It is a 3/4 inch shooter with the 220 grainers from Sierra.  It is about the most fun of anything that I have shot in years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible to get the 300 wisper in a barrel longer than 16 inches. I was thinking I would like one more like 20 inches.
I have fired the 300 whisper in the TC contender pistol and rcoil was very light, but what am I looking at in recoil with the AR and its recoil operation. I want to be able to watch as the bullet strikes its target and maybe be able to hit multible yotes on the run.
Next
What about stock configeration, I have a six position calapsable stock. Would  I be better off to get a standard stock for the 300 whisper set up.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]

I don't think you need more than 16" This is my gun, pre-paint and with a thrown on ACOG. I'm going to put a Hourus on it. The gun with suppressor is over 10 pounds and you are shooting a little more than a .45ACP. I'd rather fill the buttstock and grip with lead if I want a heavier gun as oppossed to making it longer. If you going to use a can other than the SSK than your gun is longer still than mine, and mine is long enough.

The gun really does not move. I should go shoot it beside my DPMS 22lr AR, I'd bet they are similiar. I'll try to get out this week with it and get back to you. As far as watching the bullet strike, no problem.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I should have mentioned, I haven't tried it yet but I bet. on two targets at the same range, I could probably get my second shot off before the first hits, or as it is hitting. For reference, my split times are about A to M class IPSC.

The noise of the bullet hitting is going to be the only issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
my next delimma
After visiting my Local Class 3 dealer
Now do I buy my upper 300 fireball and then purchase a surpressor. That way I can play with the upper and get a nice load worked up for it,
Or do I get the 300 fireball/whisper upper with intergrated surppressor. Seems going intergrated I can save about 200.00 to go towards optics or other gadgets for my new project.
I hate it when someone puts a new idea into my head and complicates things.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to reference my FAQ in the Variants board.

Tom  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Outside of 100 you bettter have range markers or a laser range finder.

+1
With subsonic bullets, the .300 Whisper has a rainbow trajectory.  It's not a problem as long as you know your distances and the amount of drop to compensate for.  

I have a mil dot scope that I use with my .300 whisper barrel, but I haven't settled on a load for it just yet.  

Quoted:
do I get the 300 fireball/whisper upper with intergrated surppressor. Seems going intergrated I can save about 200.00

Do you plan on traveling with the gun?  If you have an intergral can, you loose the option of taking the gun (without the can) to a non-NFA state.  Also, would you ever want to move the can to another rifle?  I kind of like the flexability that a thread-on can offers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]
/www.trosusa.com/ makes an integrally suppressed Remington 700 in 300 Wisper, a little pricy though. Click on Remington 700 on the web site.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top