Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:11:27 PM EDT
I am in the process of choosing an AR for myself and I am perplexed by the choice that lay before me. I have decided that I will purchase the M4 version with a 16 inch barrel. As a U.S. Marine I was issued one of the original A2’s to see service back in the 80’s of which all were Colts. Later I heard that some Armalite A2’s were being issued though I never saw one. So now here in 2005 I am wondering what to buy. I always liked my Colt. It was very accurate and not finicky like my A1 had been. (Which I hated by the way!)

So how about some advice? I was at a gun show today and held a Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Colt, Armalite and Olympic Arms. All were visibly almost identical save for very small details. My question is, are any of them superior and why? Please give real world advice. Today a self-professing expert told me not to buy an Olympic because it was not the rifle an Armalite was. When I asked what he meant he got very confused and started talking out of his very prodigious ass. It really boiled down to the fact that he sold Armalite and not Olympic Arms and he new little or nothing more.

Below are the furniture and extras that I intend to add. Any input on that would be welcome as well. So lets hear what ya got.
Thanks a bunch,
WilhtA.R.M.S. Scope mount and Cantilever Spacer
Yankee Hill folding front sight
A.R.M.S. folding rear sight
Magpul Stock
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The Colt Bushmaster are the two most often selected, and are very similar

differences include, but are not limited to:

Colt 1/7 barrel and 1/9 for BM.
The 1/7 allows a wider range of ammo including the heavier (more accurate ) stuff

The Colt has MP tested bolts and barrels, and the BM only randomly sampled -advantage Colt

M4 feed ramps on the Colts - Not sure about BM, I think not. More reliable feeding of ammo

Colt has double heat shield, large oval hand-guards, the BM has singles with CAR sized guards

Colt lifetime warranty. BM does not

The models for Colt are LE6920, 6721, and run $1,000- $1,350

and Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine runs $875 - $1,100

I would definitely go with a flat top (A3)  to keep options open (Like your Aimpoint plans)

Even though Rock River has great stuff. The 2 above are the most popular choices

Good luck, hermes.......,welcome aboard and Happy New Year!!

ETA: Popular discussion including one of the industry's most renowned authority
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Colt Bushmaster are the two most often selected, and are very similar

differences include, but are not limited to:

Colt 1/7 barrel and 1/9 for BM.
The 1/7 allows a wider range of ammo including the heavier (more accurate ) stuff

The Colt has MP tested bolts and barrels, and the BM only randomly sampled -advantage Colt

M4 feed ramps on the Colts - Not sure about BM, I think not. More reliable feeding of ammo

Colt has double heat shield, large oval hand-guards, the BM has singles with CAR sized guards

Colt lifetime warranty. BM does not

The models for Colt are LE6920, 6721, and run $1,000- $1,350

and Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolman's Carbine runs $875 - $1,100

I would definitely go with a flat top (A3)  to keep options open (Like your Aimpoint plans)

Even though Rock River has great stuff. The 2 above are the most popular choices

Good luck, hermes.......,welcome aboard and Happy New Year!!

+1 That hit the nail right on the head, couldn’t of said it any better myself
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The A3 option is already on my radar. I should have included that but forgot. It was easy to see the logic behind that instantly. Thanks for the input. Very helpful.
Happy New Year!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster rifles can be had with the 1/7 barrel as well. It's a special order. Colt enthusiasts often fail to mention this. I myself would love to have a Colt as I've always been fond of their handguns but for the price of the Colt you could buy a Bushmaster with a 1/7 barrel and almost buy all the accesories you want. If money is no object by all means get the Colt. If you want high quality at a better price think Bushmaster.My Bushmaster A3 carbine was around 650 new. The Colt I saw was over 1000.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Only have one thing to add to this. Colt uses non standard large pins for it's fire control. While this makes no difference to most people, it bugs the hell out of me.
Pat
0-1-25
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top