BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:28:05 AM EDT
who all is going  to let some blanks go at midnight?  is that still classified as discharging a firearm?  I have a 20 round mag loaded with blanks and my BFA on and ready to go.  i dont want to get in any heat though,  im in the city limits.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure you're gonna catch some shit for that. Don't quote me on that though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it isone of those things you have to determine for yourself.  It is safe but the consequences could be bad if a neighbor sees it and freaks out.  My opinion is that it is safer than fireworks but could be really scary to an uninformed observer. Proceede at your own risk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Invite your next door neighbors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't be like the third world Idiots who shoot guns up in the air, even if it is blanks...........
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool!!!

Just like they did in that move "Jarhead" when they found out GWI was over!!

That will be so cool, it will roxxor!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#6]
one to the side is a preacher and might think its the end of the world.  the others a crack head, and the one to the back will probly be over with a fith of jack.  im sure its better than firing off my black powder mortar.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont.
Just dont.

I had a bad experience that wasnt even my fault.
Advice, on a sheeple holiday, when alcohol might be involved, and the police are already stressed, throwing a firearm into the mix is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't do it.

Max
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]
OK OK.  I got the drift.  the BFA is off.  Now i have to go to the fireworks stand and get a bunch of firecrackers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Much better.
When we do it, the neighbors dont even get pissed if you work in Roman candles and cool colored things 'for the kids'  This way you can start with some noise makers, and after you have thier attention, go for the crowd pleasers.  This also helps ensure that 5-0 dont visit.
Happy New Years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Do it in a dark corner, not highly visible, and shoot it into the ground as fast as you can
pull the trigger!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
who all is going  to let some blanks go at midnight?  is that still classified as discharging a firearm?  I have a 20 round mag loaded with blanks and my BFA on and ready to go.  i dont want to get in any heat though,  im in the city limits.  

Yes, that is still discharge of a firearm, and against the law.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]
When I lived up in the woods shotguns loaded with birdshot was the call for New Years. Now I'm in the city so fireworks are in order.

HAPPY NEW YEARS !!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Be careful with firecrackers.  

For most municipalities, these are against the law as well.

Even outside the city limits, many counties in N. Texas have outlawed all, or some types, of fireworks as well, because of the dry and windy conditions, the burn bans, and the wildfires we have already seen.

How about just watching the apple fall this year, and clapping really loud?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK OK.  I got the drift.  the BFA is off.  Now i have to go to the fireworks stand and get a bunch of firecrackers.

Not sure what part of TX you are in, but around the DFW and several surrounding counties, there is a burn ban on and they have already jailed some folks for setting off fireworks. And it doesn't matter even if you are on your own property.

If you don't know about all the fires we are having for a bunch of reasons (including fireworks), your cave must be real deep.  If you live around these parts and set that stuff off, you better have a real good lawyer lined up and real good insurance because you are held liable any damages that result from any fire that is started.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow you guys stay up past midnight?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Past midnight? not a chance. I was out back today unwinding in several calibers. I recorded the whole session and now I have it out on the patio with a timer set to go off @ 12:00
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#18]
You don't  wanna discharge a firearm on public or common property, what goes up must come down and those lead bullets drop at terminal velocity maybe not killing someone but putting a welt on some child's head or a dent in someone's car....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]
A bullet drops from the sky and hits you in the head, you will be dead.

Discharging a blank is still discharging a firearm, hence illegal. Not to mention you shouldnt be suprised when the cops show up and try to take your gun away.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't be like the third world Idiots who shoot guns up in the air, even if it is blanks...........

They do that shit in East LA,Compton,Bellflower etc..I don't think those qualify as 3rd world countries........wait a second,maybe they do.

Quoted:

A few people have died from this shit in Compton,Bellflower etc...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Please post a video if you do it.

It is worth it if you post a video
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#22]
If you do do it, dress up in a robe, throw some rags on your head and dance in the middle of the street shooting your rifle into the air, while screaming "HAA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Yet another example of a stupid thing to do that'll give gunowners a bad name.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
oh god that makes me think of the ghetto where my friend useto live, come new year and you get some fools driveing around dischargeing firearms in the air...

try to not scare you neighbors unless you really dislike them
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Use a pot and pan
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#26]
We're not in Russia, do whatever you want!!!    
Ok, seriously.

Do it!!!!                              
JUST KIDDING.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazing.  The replies run the gamut from "Cool, do it." to "Don't give gun owners a bad name."  to "Don't be like gangbangers."

I'm waiting to see if someone writes, "I'm gonna tell.  Nya nya nya nya nya."

Personally, I think you should reload and fire at the crackhead neighbor.  

Even here in the mountains it will be quiet.  Just the reason I left the Big Apple.

Happy New Year, what ever you decide.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
haha no problem here.  I live on my own land in the boonies. I have have a box  of blanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, HAPPY NEW YEAR ..bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,...bang! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
haha no problem here.  I live on my own land in the boonies. I have have a box  of blanks.

Never found a reason to own blanks.  

I guess reenactors could use them, but I figure if you're gonna shoot something, shoot it right.  

That's why God made USGI surplus ammo, right?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yet another example of a stupid thing to do that'll give gunowners a bad name.

+ eleventybillion

Travis
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
is that still classified as discharging a firearm?  

Think about your question.  You are taking a real weapon, and firing real ammo.  Unless your city has a clause that excempts blanks out of a real weapon, it would be a violation.

If you want to fire your AR15 in your backyard, move farther away from people so you don't have the same laws as the city folk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Have fun with the local Police's response to the "Man with a Gun" call.  We can only hope you received a full rectal exam to ring in the new year.

PS - It's not a fucking toy - it's a weapon.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Hell it is all ready starting to sound like a war zone here. I was at the graveyard today fishing and some IDIOTS in the houses near buy were capping some rounds of in the damn day light.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#35]
On a side note, are you familiar with how many drive by shootings are goign to take place tonight?

Its something to think about if and when the police show up, they are going to be amped.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Philadelphia is Police geared  up in Sectors  for gunfire.
Doubtful anyone is going to take to time to ask if you are shooting blanks as you lower your weapon an muzzle points in someones direction.
Shot a bullet in the air where it landed I know not where.
Stay safe and alive to enjoy the New Year or a least the one second extra from the old year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Pick the neighbor most likly to call cops, then when the cops show up say "yeah, occifer, I heard some machine gun fire, I think it came from that dudes house" (point to pre-determined neighbors house) " I allways knew he had a lot of problems, he allways talks about killing cops and stuff".
Don't forget to mention that he is a Muslim and how he went to the middle east last year to visit the "mother land".

This is another good "line", "no, officer, I don't even own a gun, I'm scared of guns".

Then sit back and watch the "fireworks"!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hell it is all ready starting to sound like a war zone here. I was at the graveyard today fishing and some IDIOTS in the houses near buy were capping some rounds of in the damn day light.

Who the f**k fishes at a graveyard???
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Call your local police department's NON-emergency phone number and ask them if it's legal.  That's the only possible way you will get a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You don't  wanna discharge a firearm on public or common property, what goes up must come down and those lead bullets drop at terminal velocity maybe not killing someone but putting a welt on some child's head or a dent in someone's car....

BLANKS have no bullets...

See the title... BLANKS...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I TOLD MY WIFE SOMEONE ELSE WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING IT, BUT SHE DIDN'T BELIEVE ME!HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Don't do it.

Fireworks make as much noise, and generally
do not scare the shit out of the clueless like
an AR15 seems to do.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I believe the law in my city is an unlawful discharge of a weapon.  Not unlawful discharge of bullets.  

Don't do it unless you want to ring in the new year with a new special "friend".
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do that shit in East LA,Compton,Bellflower etc..I don't think those qualify as 3rd world countries........wait a second,maybe they do.

Quoted:

If a bullet goes straight up, and comes to a stop, and then comes straight down, it isn't going to kill you.  It might not feel good, but it certainly isn't going to kill someone.  If you fired it at low angle, then yes, you could kill someone with the bullet.  Not saying I advocate firing rounds into the air though.  Anyway, this thread was about blanks, not live rounds.  If nobody is going to see the gun, I say go for it, but shoot it towards the ground.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#45]
This is why I hope I never have to live in the city again.  YUCK!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:29:47 AM EDT
[#46]
My initial response when I saw this was:

What a fucking idiot question.  You shouldn't even own a gun.  Stick to playing your fucking video games.

Then I calmed down, and waited until this morning to post.

I hope you took the advice of the "dont do it" crowd.  Yeah trigger time is fun, blanks can be fun at times, and New Years was made for noisemakers, but show some restraint.  If its legal in your area, use some fireworks, if its not, honk your car horn if you feel the need to make noise.  

Keep the gun put up, and eliminate the possiblity of any legal hassles.  The cops have enough to worry about, and they will be humpin their asses off all night on our behalf.  

Besides, if I truly suspected that a neighbor was an illegal drug user, advertising that I had guns, and might be a nice place to rob to support the habit, is not a good idea.  Ya cant be home all the time!

Anyways, hope you made the right choice, and Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Have fun cleaning that AR on New Years Day! Always took the blank ammo away from my M-60 when it went to pull guard,last thing I want is to be cleaning the pig all day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#48]
So...how did it go last night/this morning?  

No blanks here...the kids and I went through a 20 mag of USGI at midnight...into our backstop NOT the air.  My daughter (8 y/o, 52 pounds soaking wet) fired the AR for the first time last night and LOVED it.  

We ended up doing "shave and a haircut" with the neighor up the road.  Not sure if he's an AR or Mini 14 man, but we almost had a 5.56 version of Dueling Banjos.

Thank God for the opportunity to live in BFE!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If a bullet goes straight up, and comes to a stop, and then comes straight down, it isn't going to kill you.  It might not feel good, but it certainly isn't going to kill someone.  If you fired it at low angle, then yes, you could kill someone with the bullet.  Not saying I advocate firing rounds into the air though.  Anyway, this thread was about blanks, not live rounds.  If nobody is going to see the gun, I say go for it, but shoot it towards the ground.  

I think this whole topic revolves around shooting blanks, not bullets in the air.

However, I have looked at a lot of roofs in my job and have been surprised at how many bullets I find stuck in them from falling from the air. Mostly what appear to be 9mm, and they will penetrate the composition shingles and lodge themselves firmly (more than halfway) into the 1/2" plywood decking.
I am not a doctor, but I do not think my skull is harder than 1/2" plywood with a layer of compositiong roofing shingles over it. It might not kill a person, but it will definately require a trip to the doctor (or someone with needle nosed pliers) for extraction.

P.S. I think the shooting blanks thing is kinda dumb, but if its dark outside and you are in your backyard and no one has a clear line of sight, I doubt anyone will know what you are firing. But then, I live out in the middle of nowhere in the Texas hill country.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#50]
If a bullet goes straight up, and comes to a stop, and then comes straight down, it isn't going to kill you. It might not feel good, but it certainly isn't going to kill someone.

Buzzzz....Wrong.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top