Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2005 12:34:10 AM EDT
If FN can do it, why cant HK? This cant go unnoticed by SIG and HK.

If steyr really offers an AUG, that has to make HK understand that the market for a 416 is really there and shouldnt be ignored.

Though...I'm sure I will care a lot less about a 416 if I can get a SCAR next year...

CMMG is tooling up SBR barrels in january for the PS90. Next year is going to be good...

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Steyr will not be offering an Aug. Why you ask? Because Steyr's parent company, Steyr-Mannlicher,  GmbH was sanctioned by the Bush Administration for selling arms to Iran. Buy your Steyr products now kids... cuz there aren't going to be anymore coming in for a while. I doubt Steyr USA could would make a whole AUG in house. Most likely, they would need to have parts sent from Steyr-Mannlicher in Austria.

U.S. Sanctions Nine Companies Under Iran Nonproliferation Act
Bush administration imposes penalties on firms in China, India, Austria

By Susan Krause
Washington File Staff Writer

usinfo.state.gov/eap/Archive/2005/Dec/29-75034.html?chanlid=eap

Washington -- The United States has imposed sanctions on nine companies -- six in China, two in India, and one in Austria -- for selling materials to Iran that can be used in the production of missiles and weapons of mass destruction (WMD), State Department deputy spokesman Adam Ereli said December 27.

Speaking to reporters, Ereli said the Bush administration imposed the sanctions, which took effect December 23, on the basis of "credible information" that the companies had transferred equipment or technology in violation of the Iran Nonproliferation Act (Public Law 106-178).  

The act, signed into law March 2000, requires periodic reports to Congress when there is evidence that "goods, services, or technology" have been transferred to Iran that are either:

• Included on international export control lists; or

• Controlled by the U.S. government for export to Iran because of their potential use in the development of nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons, or in ballistic or cruise missiles.

Ereli said the six Chinese companies facing sanctions are China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation (CATIC), China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO), Zibo Chemet Equipment Company, Hongdu Aviation Industry Group, Ounion International Economic and Technical Cooperative, and Limmt Metallurgy and Minerals Company.  He described NORINCO as a "serial offender."

Also affected, according to Ereli, are Indian chemical exporters Sabero Organics Gujarat Ltd., and Sandhya Organic Chemicals Pvt. Ltd., and Austrian arms manufacturer Steyr-Mannlicher GmbH.

The sanctions prohibit the companies from doing business with the U.S. government and will prevent them from receiving export licenses required to buy certain U.S. technologies.

When asked if the sanctions were only a symbolic gesture, Ereli said the nonproliferation legislation has had an impact.

"It's an important and effective tool in constraining Iran's efforts to develop missile and WMD capacity," he said.  "It does have an impact, I think, particularly in alerting governments to activity taking place in their countries and instituting measures or taking actions to prevent those kinds of activities."

But, he cautioned,  "Nonproliferation is a slippery business and there are always going to be those who, I think, put narrow commercial self-interest above the greater social good or public welfare."

More than 40 entities and individuals have been sanctioned under the Iran Nonproliferation Act since 2001.  Ereli said the United States has had good cooperation from Austria in the current case.

For more information on U.S. policy, see Arms Control and Non-Proliferation.

Created: 28 Dec 2005 Updated: 28 Dec 2005
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Steyr will not be offering an Aug. Why you ask? Because Steyr's parent company, Steyr-Mannlicher,  GmbH was sanctioned by the Bush Administration for selling arms to Iran. Buy your Steyr products now kids... cuz there aren't going to be anymore coming in for a while. I doubt Steyr USA could would make a whole AUG in house. Most likely, they would need to have parts sent from Steyr-Mannlicher in Austria.

U.S. Sanctions Nine Companies Under Iran Nonproliferation Act
Bush administration imposes penalties on firms in China, India, Austria...

That would be a real shame since Steyr seems to be getting it together for a big push in USA, and they have a plant here which will circumvent the facist import ban, barrel ban, etc etc...

And yes, on a long enough timeline, if enough euro's start selling products in the USA, HK and SIG will break down eventually. Lets not forget they all sold guns here in the USA at one time and were basically driven out by new bans and restrictions...

While I'm not especially interested in the FNC, F2000 or SCAR, the P90 going public is a huge event and everyone should buy and all the 50rd mags they can find and piss off every freaking democrat they can find. No to mention it's like FN's baby project that they have been trying to push for over a decade, and there are some real merits to the P90 system compared to going the SBR carbine route.

Dont know about the new vmax ammo, but rumors persists that FN is making a new 5.7 round that loses the AP properties even at high velocity, but maintains the extra weight in the rear of the projectile, which induces extreme yaw after 2" of penetration. It's like the russian 5.45x39, which enters and can basically exit from anywhere. These are long canals through the body, which is sure to sting a bit...

Once I see the ammo cost and availabiltiy issue change (PLEASE WOLF, HELP US) I will get a PS90 that will get SBR forms filed the same day I buy it. CMMG says they are making the barrels, which is even better
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
HK needs to build a factory here first, which they probably won't do unless the 416 gets adopted by the Army.  If the 416 gets adopted by the Army, the factory will likely spend several years on the military contracts almost exclusively.  Civilian 416s are years away, if they ever come.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, that is sweet. I've played with most of the current Eurotrash Wunderguns, and that's the only one that does anything for me. It's still a subgun though. I just hope people who use these things fo a living, well, their bosses,  realize that. I'll be all over the civvie version and SBR it.

As far as a piston AR, I could care less. The gas system just doesn't bother me the way it is. Mine works fine. Most of the people I know with them don't have issues. In 2 classes last summer only 1 had any issues, broken cam pin. One class was 2 days in the desert. High winds and plenty of dust, to the point the targets were obscured for a minute or so several times. Only 1 person I know who has been in the military in the past 30 years has any reliability complaints, and he swears his was stamped "Mattel". I have absolute faith in the gas system design as it is and would trust my life on it. A gas piston upper just isn't needed and adds weight. The gas piston on my M14S gets a lot nastier tham my AR, same for my MGs.

The thing I want to see from HK is the re-introduction of the roller lockers. Dirty gas system? No way. Doesn't have one. Don't need it. Nothing to get dirty or foul but the barrel. Personally, I really don't like the G36.

As far as Sigs go, they're OK. Just a fancy Valmet. They handle and shoot nicer than a G36 or AK, but that's about it. If I could get a semi for about the cost of an AR I might. They're supposed to be easy to do barrel swaps on, so an SBR might be nice.

Same goes for an AUG. If it was the same price as an AR, maybe. Wouldn't bother with SBR though. The funny thing is, everybody clamors for the AUG, but the M17S is dead. Why? I like the M17S. It's a little heavier, but I like the little extra weight. It's not hanging way out front where it will get heavy fast, but close in and seems to make it handle a little better for me. Maybe it just makes it feel more substantial, like an M14 over an AR.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to say this, but I expect this picture to make some gun makers want to pull a Bill Ruger and try to get some law passed that screws us instead of going a head an manning up and bringing a better product to the market.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top