Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:04:42 PM EDT
does anybody own their uppers?  i'm looking for something different than another 16in m4 upper  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have six JP uppers and is THE builder for practical competition rifles.  His quality is second to no one and the level of service that you receive is incredible.  John Paul is a true innovator that not only as a shooter comes up with some of the best ideas for rifles, but listens to fellow competitors (along with his stable of shooters) about improvements to them.

To give $0.02 on the lightweight carriers.  You have two options.  The stainless LW carrier is awesome.  It allows you a wide variety of ammunition performance variations without sacrificing reliability.  Too, if you're the type that isn't the most pro-active in maintaining a clean and lubed firearm, then it's the better option.  The full Low Mass Operating System is the HEAT!!!!  It requires that you keep a clean rifle.  By clean I don't mean that you baby it while you shoot an IMGA/USPSA 3-Gun match.  I mean between shooting days, wipe it down and clean it and the rifle thoroughly.

In both cases, the lighter carriers will reduce the rifle's impulse, reduce muzzle flip and allow for INCREDIBLY fast follow up shots.  There have been some testimonies of increased accuracy, and honestly with the systems in my rifle, I definitely have fewer flyers.  

A great testiment to JP's quality parts is how many custom builders use them.  His CTR-02 upper receiver is THE standard if you're going to mount an ACOG to your rifle.  It is allows you to mount anything that mounts to a current flat top receiver, but is the way to mount an ACOG as low as possible since the mounts are built in.  REALLY sweet!!!

JP can build the upper for you, how you want it.  Between him, Tim (shop assistant) and Jake Kempton (Grandmaster IPSC shooter and formerly of Accuracy Speaks) you will get a rifle that does what YOU want it to do...and probably more.  My current competition/teaching upper was a hybrid build between JP and Mike Voigt.  It is a 18" SS 1:8 Oly Arms barrel, Colt FT receiver, JP Handguard, JP-LMOS, JP-Bennie Cooley Comp.  On it is a TA-11 (competition) or TA-01NSN (teaching).  On top of the ACOG sits a JPoint and on the handguard sits the JP back up sighting system.  Lastly, I run a JP adjustable gas block (on all my uppers (12)...except the original Colt H-Bar that was original to the first Colt that I bought and still use as my primary competition/teaching rifle).  This allows me, in conjunction with the LMOS, to perfectly tune the cycle rate/duration of my rifle to my load.  I swear that you cannot begin to imagine how these rifles feel....especially uncorking them in rapid fire competition and CQB situations.  INCREDIBLE.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or PM me.  I'll tell you anything you want to know.

Take care and Happy New Year!!!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I own plenty of JP parts - the Bennie Cooley comp is on my AR10 carbine and the JP original  comp is on my AR10 T and 300 RUM bolt action. I have several of their triggers installed in my match guns along with the stainless bolt carrier. I owned a complete CTR-02 ubtil last year. The only product I am not completely sold on is the adjustable gas block - I blew a match one time when the set screw for the gas port worked loose - not enough locktite I suppose

JP is passionate about his stuff and probably most into match/IPSC
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned 3 JP uppers.  They were all tack drivers and they all worked and they all had adj. gas systems.  You CANNOT get a better upper.

Finally there is no company that supports the shooting sports more than JP and John Paul is a great guy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
just looking for an upper that as a "cool"  look to it for now.  will be used for killing paper and rocks.  someday might be used for some 3 gun matches.

i was moslty looking for input on their uppers

thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
JP Enterprises uppers are the standard you might say in competitive shooting circles. The one thing that means most is not it's looks but it's reliability. His uppers work are reliable...period. If they were not they wouldn't last in competitive shooting. His uppers are built and based on what truly works best in shooting not one guys opinoin of what looks cool. Get a JP you will never regret it. He's truly one of the best builders around.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top