Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2005 5:53:26 PM EDT
I've been lurking for a short time but have just joined the forum.  I'm looking to buy an AR and use it as a platform for long range shooting.  I'm looking specifically at several RRA and DPMS models and am wondering whether there is much difference in buying from a local dealer or waiting for a gun show.  My dealer's prices are pretty consistent with what I'm seeing at several online dealers that advertise here so I think their prices are relatively reasonable, but would I do much better at a show?  Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to buying from either?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
at a gunshow you've got ALOT more choices and you can play with them.  If you buy a new rifle you shouldn't have any problems.  The best thing about a dealer is if you have any problems.  I got mine  from a gunshow and they had several to choose from.  I got a dpms 16" from del-ton, Inc.  at the charlotte N.C. gunshow back in the fall.  It was about 750 or so.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
In terms of ARs, I hardly ever find a deal at gun shows.  Personally, I would email the deals here on the forums with what you want to get the best price.  If you local dealer can match it or be close, then go with them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you will probably get a better price at a dealer.  Prices at the last Crossroads/SAR show were no better than you could get from any of the major perveyors.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Dealers here don't seem to "deal" much on prices.  I bought my first AR (a Bushy) at a dealer for about full MSRP.  I bought my second (RRA) at a gun show for a much better price and built my third (and favorite - Stag upper on a DPMS lower with Cav Arms furniture) for a still lower price.  Took about 3 weeks to gather the parts (the lower from a gunshow, everything else ordered) and then about 45 minutes to put together.

My wife (she wants a purple one) and my father both want me to put ARs together for them now.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]
gunshows are cheaper as long as you know what you are looking at, they tend to have a bad rep for taking advantage of the unknowing

eta: where are you in tx? there is a show coming this weekend and lonestar wholesale and holland gunworks will be there and they are also site supporting dealers that offer great products
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're local shops are competitive with what you are seeing online, I'd say go for it.
I prefer to buy locally when it isn't prohibitively expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
gunshows are cheaper as long as you know what you are looking at, they tend to have a bad rep for taking advantage of the unknowing

eta: where are you in tx? there is a show coming this weekend and lonestar wholesale and holland gunworks will be there and they are also site supporting dealers that offer great products

+10

buy here or ask many questions before you think something is a good deal. My first purchase on a AR15
costed me an extra $400 more than if I wouldve searched a little more here first. That $400, now, would be another rifle.

See, you also can get parts cheap before you charge that overly expensive carbine on your credit card.
Impulse buying has got us one time or another. Basically from now on, I still go into gun stores and
gun shows but I know what I am looking at..........hence just window shopping.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember to figure in admission fees, parking, gas, etc. in the price when you buy at a gunshow. Just something to think about. Plus you have to make way for the guys that are so fat that they ride around in their motorized scooters, and they WILL defend their ground. Be aware!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm in Dallas.  Where is the show you're thinking of?  I know there is a show in Dallas the weekend of Jan 7-8.

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm making a list of the guns I like and the features I want and then making a list of the prices I'm finding online and in the local shop.  I'll take that to the show and comparison shop.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
If your looking for new, you won't find prices lower then right here on the web.

The only bad part is that you have to send it to a FFL for transfer, and they are always wondering "Why you didn't buy it from me?"

I just bought some stripped lowers and my FFL said he could get them for me, then he found out how much I was getting them for and said your better off just paying for the Transfer.

Here is an example:
RRA Stripped Lower
At La gunshow $159.00 each and $179.00 each.  I asked is that the "Cash" price and both pretty much said yes.  Came here on Monday and purchased at $99 each (plus 15 transfer) $115 total.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in Dallas.  Where is the show you're thinking of?  I know there is a show in Dallas the weekend of Jan 7-8.

Thanks for all the advice.  I'm making a list of the guns I like and the features I want and then making a list of the prices I'm finding online and in the local shop.  I'll take that to the show and comparison shop.

houston but both of those dealers ship
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I am lucky to have a couple of really good gunshops locally.

For that reason , I support them. When needed , they support me too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Double Post - Sorry
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I am in favor of buying from gunshows and as the old saying goes - "Cash Talks" when dealing with a dealer at a gunshow or an individual who is selling an AR as a personal sale.

Dealers with a retail store in the DFW-TX will charge about $200-$300 more for an AR15 than a dealer at a local show will - ..more often than not is is due to overhead.

If you go to a show make sure you take a note pad and pen to make notes of locations and prices of dealers who are selling AR's.

I usually go on Sundays - if I am looking for a rifle. If the show was a bad -  the dealers are more often than not willing to negotiate a little more. Remeber that dealers are motivated by cash...

Buying from a private individual can be risky if you dont know what you are looking at. The key there is knowing/research.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy from internet.  I have not been able to find anything in the gun shops or gun shows that compares to the prices I get on the net.  I just left a "Tri State Gun Show" here in Kentucky that sucked.  Used, banged up ARs for $900 plus.  Even my local gun shops tell me they can't compete with the internet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]
If your local dealer has prices comparable to the cheap internet prices, then it would make absolutely no sense to wait for a gun show or buy online.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Remember to figure in admission fees, parking, gas, etc. in the price when you buy at a gunshow. Just something to think about. Plus you have to make way for the guys that are so fat that they ride around in their motorized scooters, and they WILL defend their ground. Be aware!

LOL, that is so true.  At the gun show at the South Florida Fair Grounds a few weeks ago, there was this rather rotund looking man that was riding around on a Segway.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#18]
There are many, many guys in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Head over to the Texas Hometown forum and they'll be more than happy to point out the best stocking dealers in town.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've found the best way to shop is on line through Davidsons, (Bushmaster). They will hook you up with a local dealer. The prices are good. And EVERY gun you buy from them has a LIFETIME FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY. You won't find that anywhere else. I've bought 3 new Bushmasters that way in the last year. The only way to go.  Bill T.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't been to a good gun show yet. I will admit some of the oddest things have some truly amazingly low prices. My buddy found a new USP mag for dirt cheap, and there were some others for a very low price as well.

The majority seems to be content on supplying prices that scream rape though. I almost passed out when I witnessed a man buy a basic Rock Island 1911 for $500. There are some good people involved in the gun show scene, but that's becoming even more of a rarity each day.

Go to a good local dealer, or buy from the dealers here.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Sometimes guns shows have a good price, but keep in mind there are potential problems.  A number of years ago I bought a new S&W revolver at a gun show, a few days later I found it had a serious problem, so I checked the receipt, it was a generic receipt with no business name on it!  So I had a warranty issue with out a provable proof of purchase, luckily S&W fixed the revolver with no problems, but after that experience I don't buy new firearms at gun shows anymore, too risky.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#22]

If your local dealer has prices comparable to the cheap internet prices, then it would make absolutely no sense to wait for a gun show or buy online.

Gotta disagree with an almost 9% sales tax rate for a local gun shop purchase where I live.

(Just a point and not a flame towards you)
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#23]
 Try to support your local store front dealer, but don't think you have to do him any favors either. Check prices on the net and expect to pay a littel more at your local dealer- 5-10% but the relationship you will foster is worth the extra $$'s.
 Also factor in time spent searching the net, shipping, traveling, phone calls, etc into your price.

If you decide to use a local dealer, the worst thing you can do, IMHO, is walk in with an ad from some place else and ask/demand "How much cheaper can you get me this"

Remember, a good dealer will be happy to spend a good amount of time helping you select your new rifle, but also it costs him a lot of money to have a good selection of guns for you to "finger bang".
 Look for a shop with a lot of customers "hanging around". That generally means that they are a friendly shop that will take time to talk to you, not  just sell you something. Oh, and also make it a practice to stop in at your local shop and say Hi. Most dealers would rather have friends that buy something ocasionally than annamous (sp) customers that they never have to deal with again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top