Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 4:58:06 PM EDT
From a member of canadiangunnutz.com today.  Later posted that the rifle was new/unfired.  Thoughts from ARF?

interestin day at the range today. had this colt HB match for quiet some time, never shot it.
decided today was the day. less than 100 rounds of FACTORY winchester ammo......and .....kaboom.
i feel lucky that i i can still see, and that i wasnt bleeding . felt like i got hit in the forehead with a hammer.  can you say" overload".?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/06a28b95.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Beater/Picture051.jpg

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47423

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
colt quality isn't what it once was.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Good gawd!
Looks like something other than Colt quality in play to me.
What Winchester ammo was he using?
I think I'd be on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Next from shooter.

well, im about 99% sure it wasnt an out of battery fireing. the bolt pin dosent have a mark on it, it could be used again it looks like. i thought for sure i was going to find a wreaked bore, like there had been something in it to cause a preasure build, but after i got it apart its as clean as a whistle.  no bulges, no nothing. probably could use the bbl again aswell.
i think its simply a overload in the ammo. it was the last round in a 5/ 20 round mag. earlyer i went and sent a few over the crony, and they were in the 3300 FPS mark. the 2 other fellas on the line sure had to stop and look when it happened, was extreamly loud. i was sittin at the bench, and the peice missing in the bottom of the bolt, went THROUGH the corrigated steel bench top
 all's i know is im out a rifle, and i have a bad headach
tomorow im going to try to find a contact number for winchester, and send some pics
Brian

anyway, here's the thread.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?p=375773#post375773
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
the parts will oxidize that fast from a kaboom?

I would not try to slavage any item from that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gregory_K,
That might be brass from the blown cartridge case that looks like corrosion.Ive seen that before in bolt guns.
Yeap I'd let somebody buy me a new weapon and they could have that one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The ammo was winchester 45gr HP whitebox 50 pack.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Lucky nobody was hurt
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Tagged for outcome...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:15:58 AM EDT
[#9]
What about a primer not set deep enough, causing a punctured primer?  If the primer was punctured, it seems to me that the cartridge would balloon and seperate like it did, and if it also happened to be loaded particularly hot, then that KB would seem likely.   Then again I don't blow up many rifles
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Case head separation?  Tag for more info...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
looks to me that the rifle might have been not properly maintained to begin with............

I see rust and corrosion........

case head sepperation due to firing out of battery, maybe...........
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad you're OK. Doesn't look like a Colt or an AR problem. I would say you need to address this with Olin/Winchester since it was factory new ammo you were using.

As much crap as you here about Wolf, at least they back up their product. If you KB'd a weapon with Wolf, they would take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the whole thing was rusted before you fired it....
Is there a chance that it sat up and was never properly cleaned before firing?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
+1 on the tag. Glad no one was seriously injured.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]
It almost seems like it fired out of battery due to the location of the torn off rim.  I would have tried very hard to find the primer cup before I left the range.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I think that the rusty look is from the flame cutting of the gasses ripping through the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't know about the gasses causing corrosion and a rusty look like that, but the gun looks like it hasn't had any CLP in a while.

Hope everything can work out though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
He did find the primer, and everthing else but the bottom section of the bolt carriage that alows you see the bolt in the photos.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn

As far as Winchester ammo goes, I had a Squib today with winchester white box .223

I will be calling them Tuesday Morning
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Olympic Arms' thoughts on Winchester ammo:

"For the reloader, Winchester brass is usually not the first pick. It's not mine. But until recently we have had no problems with Winchester ammunition. As of late however, we have been seeing a great many problems related to oversized brass and blowing primers. Please take this warning seriously. We have nothing against the Winchester company, as a matter of fact had used Winchester ammo for years as our official testing ammo, but there seems to be a large batch out there that simply does not work well.

Recommendation: Stay away from Winchester ammo, unless you are getting the really good match grade stuff, at least for now."

www.olyarms.com/?page=ammowarning
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
+1 on the tag. Glad no one was seriously injured.

HOW

I would say winchester owes someone a new rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Olympic Arms' thoughts on Winchester ammo:

"For the reloader, Winchester brass is usually not the first pick. It's not mine. But until recently we have had no problems with Winchester ammunition. As of late however, we have been seeing a great many problems related to oversized brass and blowing primers. Please take this warning seriously. We have nothing against the Winchester company, as a matter of fact had used Winchester ammo for years as our official testing ammo, but there seems to be a large batch out there that simply does not work well.

Recommendation: Stay away from Winchester ammo, unless you are getting the really good match grade stuff, at least for now."

www.olyarms.com/?page=ammowarning

So does this just count for the actual Winchester stuff, or the Israeli stuff too?

I've never had a problem with any of the Israeli stuff, I think it's better than the actual Winchester stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So does this just count for the actual Winchester stuff, or the Israeli stuff too?

I've never had a problem with any of the Israeli stuff, I think it's better than the actual Winchester stuff.

I've shot a large amount of the Winchester 55gr Value Packs lately, that is Israeli made. No problems here either....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#26]
If you had bought a Colt, this wouldn't have happend... Oh, wait, nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#27]

It looks like an older style Colt bolt carrier and the cartridge fired out of battery. I don't think the bulge in the rear of the brass could occur in the chamber. The brass had to have been sticking out in the barrel extension when it fired. Being unsupported it burst.

It could have been caused by an ammo problem, a chamber obstruction, or user error.

Tight chamber
Sensitive primer (from factory)
Sensitive primer (from chambering the round before)
Oversize brass so it would not fully chamber
Bullet crooked, preventing chambering (from factory)
Bullet crooked, preventing chambering (from hitting receiver or barrel extension)
Bullet setback before firing (preventing it from fully chambering)
Firing pin stuck forward (was it cleaned or oiled before this? Was it or the bolt rusty before firing?)

I'm sure there are other possibilities I can't think of or don't know about as well.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
ok gents, i am the fellow who pulled the trigger on this.
first off, let me say that this was a new, unfired colt hbar. so proprtly maintained?i guess so.
those of you who think that the redish color is rust, it is brass, from the case, and also powder residue.
it was taken apart and CLP'd generously before it hit the range
i do have the primmer cup, and it is blown out the side, it was inside the guts of the rifle.
no it did not fire out of battery, i had a hell of a time getting the broken swelled bolt turned enough, to get it out of the bbl extention.
i did a count, that was actually round number 75 out of the gun.
pritty sure its not a prob with the gun, but the ammo.
i have a ton of pics, but i am on dial up, so its slow to load stuff.
the bbl is perfect, not a scratch inside, smooth and clean as can be. no swelling.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#29]
i forgot to mention that i put the WW ammo on strippers before i went to the range, and i never found any primmers sticking out, or anything physically wrong with the ammo at that time
i allso went and picked up 27 of to 30 preveious rounds throught the gun. they have no preasure signs, or flattened primmers.
it didnt fire out of battery.
i have shot an AR for a lot of years aswell.

user error????....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]
tag for updates
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top