[#3]
because they are ghey

and they are toys not ment to be shot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The predecessor of the modern carbon fiber AR had no FA either:

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the real reason is because a FA would torque the receiver and add an unacceptable amount of stress on the CF upper, especially if, say, your weapon jammed and you gave the FA a good thwack.  FA plants itself in the side of the BC and starts to rotate outward.  I think you can see where I'm going with this.

If you think about it, there's really no other reason to not have one.  So it has to be a problem with putting it on there, and then they said "to hell with it, no one uses them anyway."

That, and because they're toys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
So on a regular aluminum upper, theres no need for a FA either?

BTW, I was watching John Wayne in the Green Berets the other night, that toy M16 looked exactly like the rifle he smashed against a tree...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sure there is, but those are meant to be used in bad environments and get filthy where your BCG can slow down enought to not quite lockup when you do that magazine change.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BTW, I was watching John Wayne in the Green Berets the other night, that toy M16 looked exactly like the rifle he smashed against a tree...

yup.....it WAS a Mattel...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Weight... the thing was designed to be light and the forward assist is almost as heavy as the CF reciever is lighter than the aluminum version.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I want to know why they have no dustcovers.

No dust on the toy range.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
No need for a FA or dustcover.   The carbon fiber guns are so reliable, they never jam!   Just ask the (insert energy company SRT's name here) at the SWAT Challenge!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I want to know why people buy them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
So you are saying my Colt AR15 SP1 without a forward assist is a toy?  Thats a bunch of BS.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Shit!  You and Me both!  

There is a Shit load of dumb asses buying them!  It makes me feel silly that I'm not getting some of the money that these fools are so eager to part with!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So you are saying my Colt AR15 SP1 without a forward assist is a toy?  Thats a bunch of BS.

The lack of a forward assist doesn't make it a toy - that fact that they made it out of carbon fiber and then neglected to use other space-age technologies like forward assists and dustcovers makes it a toy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shit!  You and Me both!  

There is a Shit load of dumb asses buying them!  It makes me feel silly that I'm not getting some of the money that these fools are so eager to part with!

Being in CA (please no more anti-CA comments, I already know how F***ed up the laws are here, man dont I know), bushmaster is offering a CA legal version thats CF. In case you are wondering, the magwell is sealed. so its limited to a fixed 10 rnd mag. So theres a lot of ppl here with the cash and the want that buy these. I'm not one of them.

Getting back on topic though, I tried to assemble a CF upper and noticed the lack of FA/Dust cover then after seeing the CA Bushy with the same thing it made me wonder why.

My CF upper assembly went to hell BTW, because I stripped the threads when trying to attach the barrel nut....

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have an M16A1 with no FA either, it certainly isnt a toy...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Can you picture pressing the forward assist and the upper receiver bows out, instead of advancing the carrier?

well, that probably why.

Seriously, I am unsure why the modern AR15 has one. I cannot recall needing one (well, unless you ride the CH home that is.. .  N/M)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually, the forward assist was added to the rifle as a stop gap/feel good measure during the early years of the M16 due to the fouling caused by the ball powder in use. When you think about it, if the rifle won't chamber the round, do you really want to force the round into the chamber (dirt in chamber, dented case, excessive OAL, so on) or do you want to extract the suspect round and attempt to chamber another if the situation doesn't allow for clearing the weapon and finding out way it wouldn't chamber in the first place.
Everytime I had a failure to feed, it was usuallt the round that was at fault for various reasons. I would rather eject to force feed a bad round.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#22]
It's there to help you make sure the bolt is fully forward after you pull the bolt back a slight amount to check to see if it's loaded as well.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll be watching this discussion for a little wile longer, not long now before the carbon loyalist come out to play
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Actually, the forward assist was added to the rifle as a stop gap/feel good measure during the early years of the M16 due to the fouling caused by the ball powder in use .

No, it wasn't.  The forward assist was present on the very first rifles purchased by the Army for issue to combat troops.  It wasn't added later.  It wasn't a response to a problem, real or imagined.  It was always there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do carbon uppers not have forward assists?

Because they are a piece of shit!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top