Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 6:57:30 PM EDT
Is it the pressure in front of the bullet that begins to cycle the bolt and carrier or is it the gasses behind the bullet?  Or both.  I would think its the gasses behind the bullet because thats obviously why you have carbon buildup.  I am just wondering and want to be 100% sure without telling someone something I dont really know.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it the pressure in front of the bullet that begins to cycle the bolt and carrier or is it the gasses behind the bullet?  Or both.  I would think its the gasses behind the bullet because thats obviously why you have carbon buildup.  I am just wondering and want to be 100% sure without telling someone something I dont really know.

Hmmmmm...............

When gas operated firearms are designed, they are designed so that propellant gas pressure cycles the action at a certain pressure or time.  If not, you would have a unpredictable result.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
All gas operated firearms are designed to cycled based on pressure created by the burning propellant.  Said propellant burns behind the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
But if you plugged the barrel in front of the gas port with say the bullet from a squib load, then you fired another shell, the pressure generated between the two bullets could go down the gas hole and start to cycle the bolt carrier.

I'd say worrying about whether the action is being cycled by powder burning or air would be the least of your worries.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Dace, it's always good to want to know how things really work ....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
squeeze bang and blow

sorta like a motor but without the suck
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
It's the propellant gasses.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top