I'm building a tack driver with a 24" barrel and need some ideas

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Look here
And here

I was curious about this. So a slight hijacking. Many bolt gun companies advertise, with great ado, 11 degree target crowns on their barrels. I rarely see these mentioned on the AR platform. Is there a reason, other than the dislike for a naked barrel in the general AR community?

BTW Merry Christmas all.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
i have an RRA 24" upper with a Wylde match chamber sitting on an Armalite National match lower and it kicks ass.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look here
And here

I was curious about this. So a slight hijacking. Many bolt gun companies advertise, with great ado, 11 degree target crowns on their barrels. I rarely see these mentioned on the AR platform. Is there a reason, other than the dislike for a naked barrel in the general AR community?

BTW Merry Christmas all.

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  A barrel can be crowned and still have a flash suppressor.  Mine does.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:09:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look here
And here

BTW Merry Christmas all.

I'm not sure if I understand your question.  A barrel can be crowned and still have a flash suppressor.  Mine does.

Ok, the way that many of the "target crowns" are marketed is that they help accuracy by making the tubulence less upon the bullet exiting the bore.  I thought that this would require free area ahead of the bore in order to let the propellant gases expand.  I take it this surmise is incorrect, and it only needs the area right at the barrel end to be effective?

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a 22" Douglas barrel in a bull profile. With lead in the stock, this rifle is very, very heavy. It convinced meet that I have no need for a 24" bull barrel just to gain a few FPS downrange.

I've posted it before, so I won't belabor the details. Good luck on your build.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
mega upper and Lower, JP split pin, Carrier weight, kreiger 1 in 9 twist, 24" long. Lead in buttstock,
Selfmade accuracy rest up front. Antifriction tape for better bag tracking.

Results...

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
mega upper and Lower, JP split pin, Carrier weight, kreiger 1 in 9 twist, 24" long. Lead in buttstock,
img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/toxicar/AR018.jpg
Results...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/toxicar/groups006.jpg

Flat out  awe inspiring group.

I think your post some time ago inspired me to build my heavy rifle.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad I could "inspire" someone. Mine is HEAVY! Great for bench work. Sucks to carry. My next build is under way.  mega lower, flat top upper  with no assist,  same long float tube with a 16 barrel. There will be less than 2 inches of barrel showing.  Putting on an Ace Socom stock and not sure on optics. This will be a carry in the brush crow and varmint gun fo work 300 and under. I think a short stiff barrel should be real accurate as well. I really like the Krieger barrels and will probably use them again. This stuff is so addictive
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Thats a great group!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
This is an old pick but it is a J&T kit on an Ameetec lower. It loves the 75gr Black Hills.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm thinking of putting the new Magpul PSR stock on mine.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
DPMS .308 LR 24" SS bull barrel, two stage, ace stock, Millette Gold series 4x16x50 scope, Pri tac latch.

Very smooth...

Note the double, triple and quad taps at 300yrs with surplus SA ammo !

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
How much are you looking to spend? If your on a budget I would do what Bigbore suggested.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Glad I could "inspire" someone. Mine is HEAVY! Great for bench work. Sucks to carry. My next build is under way.  mega lower, flat top upper  with no assist,  same long float tube with a 16 barrel. There will be less than 2 inches of barrel showing.  Putting on an Ace Socom stock and not sure on optics. This will be a carry in the brush crow and varmint gun fo work 300 and under. I think a short stiff barrel should be real accurate as well. I really like the Krieger barrels and will probably use them again. This stuff is so addictive

WOW! you just described word for word what I am building right now! I have a dissipated 16" bushmaster HBAR with a YHM free float tube and ace skeleton stock. I  figured the heavy barrel and free floating tube would also make it an excellent carry in the brush varmint gun.  Im waiting on just the DPMS low pro upper to put it together
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Results...

Very nice shooting
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look here
And here

BTW Merry Christmas all.

Ok, the way that many of the "target crowns" are marketed is that they help accuracy by making the tubulence less upon the bullet exiting the bore.  I thought that this would require free area ahead of the bore in order to let the propellant gases expand.  I take it this surmise is incorrect, and it only needs the area right at the barrel end to be effective?

I see your point.  Ideally, gas should expand radially and uniformly upon bullet exit.  As long as the crown is symmetrical, I don't think the profile of it matters.  I've seen rifles with 90 degree stepped crowns shoot awesome, just as I have seen rifles with conical crowns do.

I guess a flash suppressor could change the gas expansion pattern, but I haven't seen it be a negative influence in Highpower.  The accuracy HP demands (1/2 to 1 MOA) is easily achievable by any well made NM AR with or without a FS.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Results...

You should put some match iron sights on that thing, mill a handstop slot under the handguard, and go shoot highpower.  With that kind of accuracy, the rifle certainly ain't holding you back.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I do like to go to Camp Butner and shoot in the Fclass. A lot of the guys at those same shoots are doing highpower. I will eventually when my schedule permits. Most of the dates are the same as My competition dates  for the  UROC Rock crawling team I am on...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I do like to go to Camp Butner and shoot in the Fclass. A lot of the guys at those same shoots are doing highpower. I will eventually when my schedule permits. Most of the dates are the same as My competition dates  for the  UROC Rock crawling team I am on...

Find the time.  Shooting at 600 and beyond is a rush.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm building a tack driver with a 24" barrel and need some ideas

Craftsman. Just needs a little customizing.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice!!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Does it have to be a 24" one?

This one is a Colt lower and upper with a WOA 18" SPR barrel, PRI Flip-up FSB and a YHM freefloat tube.

Optics and rings are a 16x Tasco Super Sniper and ARMS 22H rings...

The Group is a 60 round, rapid fired group. I was just messing around with it after zeroing it at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#25]
What kind of grip is that? I like it..

Gene
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW Merry Christmas all.

ALL rifle barrels are crowned, regardless of threads for a flash hider or not.  The "11 degree target crown" just makes better marketing copy

ETA: - Just buy a 24" RRA Varmint rifle, you wont be disappointed.

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top