Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 9:43:38 AM EDT
What exactly makes a SOCOM a SOCOM?  I looked up SOCOM and it says that it's US Special Operations Command.  So what does that mean?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
not sure what you are asking... but

we are broken into 5 geographcal unified commands (edited to fix that I am a dipshit that just sat through a briefing on the proposed new UCP and still got this wrong!)

U.S. Northern Command (NORCOM)
U.S. European Command (EUCOM)
U.S. Pacific Command (PACCOM)
U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM)
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)

and 4 functional commands

U.S. Joint Forces Command (JFCOM)
U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
U.S. Transportation Command (TRANSCOM)
U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM)

obviously SOCOM handles Special Operations... when you ask what makes a SOCOM whatever, I can only assume that you are refering to a piece of equipment that is refered to a "the socom something or other"???

If so, that is what they call marketing (it sound cool), you see it all the time on here, the terms Operator, SpecOps, etc just tacked onto whatever pice of equipment someone is hawking...

In truth, it means nothing more than one company got to the name first...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

we are broken into 6 geographcal unified commands

U.S. Space Command (SPACECOM)

obviously SOCOM handles Special Operations... when you ask what makes a SOCOM whatever, I can only assume that you are refering to a piece of equipment that is refered to a "the socom something or other"???

If so, that is what they call marketing (it sound cool), you see it all the time on here, the terms Operator, SpecOps, etc just tacked onto whatever pice of equipment someone is hawking...

Great, informative reply.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Spacecom now falls under Stratcom, JFCOM no longer is a regional command and transfered all its regional responsiblity to EUCOM and NORCOM.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spacecom now falls under Stratcom, JFCOM no longer is a regional command and transfered all its regional responsiblity to EUCOM and NORCOM.

Thanks... I copied that from a handout we were given at a Joint Forces Briefing just this year, but as I read the handout it says "there are nine unified commands" then lists the ten that I posted

Anyway, thanks for the correction....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

we are broken into 5 geographcal unified commands (edited to fix that I am a dipshit that just sat through a briefing on the proposed new UCP and still got this wrong!)

Thanks for the info.  I was referring to the weapons out there that refer to SOCOM whatever and what makes them a SOCOM whatever.  The other information is excellant as well - much appreciated.

I see people post about their SOCOM whatever and I have always wondered what it is exactly that makes is a "SOCOM" when I can't really find much in common with one product called "SOCOM" to another.

Good to know it's really only marketing and I didn't just miss something really obvious
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top