Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2005 6:19:05 PM EDT
Which one should I build?  I want something with a bit more punch for use when hog hunting.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Marty sent me some 338S cartridges a couple of years ago and I have been very interested in it every since (just have not had the time to really play with it more)... so, I would go with the 338, but that's just me.

eta: Oh, I just want a 338, I would not take it over the 458 for what you want though... but a suppressed 338 just seems so cool.

be bewy bewy quiet...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
pigs?  458
love the 338, biggest issue is the mags.  Frankenmags work best.  I would like to try some of the 6.8 mags.
Get a MGI upper and have Marty make two barrels for you.  
That is what I do.
Mark
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Which one should I build?  I want something with a bit more punch for use when hog hunting.  

458 SOCOM....DONT MAKE ME POST PICS !

OH its Christmas....heres some pics

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I am getting the 458 Socom.  Here are my reasons:

1. No Frankenmags
2. 300 grains at 2200 fps or 600 gr at 950 fps
3. Future suppressor candidate when I move out of evil Illinois
4. If the 45-70 can take down a bison at 900 yards, then I can with the 458 at 500 yards (bbl length),
5. Larger diameter
6. BOOOOOMMM!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Marty sent me some 338S cartridges a couple of years ago and I have been very interested in it every since (just have not had the time to really play with it more)... so, I would go with the 338, but that's just me.

eta: Oh, I just want a 338, I would not take it over the 458 for what you want though... but a suppressed 338 just seems so cool.

be bewy bewy quiet...

Gunzilla -

How ya been?  Sent you an Email recently but not sure it made it.  We have factory loaded 338 ammo now, and gel test results as well.  300 SMK subsonic starts tumbling after 3-5" and travels through 24" gel with authority.  6.8 mags work perfectly, as does 6.8 bolt.  28 rounds of ugly surprise.  Working on a version that should be VERY quiet ....

Will be conducting live tissue testing against south TX hogs in mid January.  Shooter did same work for the 6.8 during its development (his upper has a custom Boots barrel .... need I say more)

Need to get some of these in hands of "serious young men" to see if they might have a use for them in professional setting ....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top