Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2005 7:21:21 AM EDT
Everyone is always bragging on how good their AR is, how it shoots .5 MOA from 2 miles out. How about sharing with us your bad AR experiances?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I never had an AR fail on me yet......

but, I only have 2 ARs at the moment, and I doubt I have more than 600 rounds though each.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Bad AR experiences?

Hm, I suppose EVERY owner who has a Hesse/Vulcan can give you some good stories...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I had an Armalite carbine that had VERY short feed ramps. So obviously it constantly had feeding problems. I traded it off to a dealer. The dealer told me the guy he sold it to had feeding problems also. Eventually it was stolen from his truck. So now a thief has an unreliable Armalite.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a bad one 10 years ago...A mis-mash of parts that were put together badly and required some work to properly get it up anrunning...I did have a canted FSB from Bushmaster that they refused to look at. I fixed it on my own.

Other than those 2, the others that I have bought or built have been great guns...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The worst AR thing I've ever had happen is trouble with a no-name BUIS I got.  It didn't come with any instructions, and I'm having problems getting on the paper with it.  With the Colt handle on it, the rifle is great, so it's not the rifle, and I'm not that bad with it...  Gotta be the BUIS.

The next worst thing was having to sell my built-from-individual-parts AR back in '87 when I was transferred to Panama.  That hurt.

No real mechanical problems ever.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
My only "bad" buy was an armalite M15A4, it was a total POS that would not feed much of anything I tried, plus the trigger was horrible...I replaced it with not one, but two Bushy's...I sold it and life is much better now.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
My first build an A1 colt upper with sak 1/12 barrel,triangle guards put it on an essential arms lower they matched up nice gray color.The problem was it jammed just like the early m16's in nam did,had to use the cleaning rod to get out the stuck cases.Took it to a local gunsmith who checked the barrel chamber,headspace said it was fine,the extractor was ok as it was ripping chunks of the rim from the stuck cases.I was going to replace the barrel thinking that was the problem but tried swapping out bcg . i replaced the unknown make bolt carrier assy with a bushmaster carrier and it ran fine afterwards.Still have that bcg to remind me not to buy crap.the carrier looked to be rewelded modified surplus.To this day dont know why the carrier would cause that to happen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had a few... But every single one was fixable.  That's the genius of the AR system; completely componentalized, making all repairs field repairs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#10]
When I first bought my Bushmaster A2-20, it had a bad FCG and fired bursts and then eventually went full auto. Although fun, it WAS broke and not supposed to do that. But it is fixed now and shoots great, it's my favorite.

Suprisingly my first build, which was recently, seems to be very dependable. I don't know the official round count but it is up there and no problems yet. Same with my A2-14.5/M4gery, both run like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had several (read dozens) of AR's the only prob I've ever had with any of them (Olympic, Bushy, DPMS, and Colt) is with my current Colt 6920, the FSB is canted to the left and it grives my ass to no end that the FSB is canted on the most expensive AR that I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had TWO Bushmasters with crappy staking on the carrier key. The allen bolts backed out and the carrier started short stroking in two different carbine courses I took.

Instructor lent me a Colt A3 carbine to finish one of the courses.
I pretty much became a Colt Kool-Aid drinker after that, as I have never had a problem with a Colt yet.

I am giving Bushmaster a chance to redeem itself with a new Dissipator I bought. If it fails in any way, I'm done with Bushmaster for good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've had several (read dozens) of AR's the only prob I've ever had with any of them (Olympic, Bushy, DPMS, and Colt) is with my current Colt 6920, the FSB is canted to the left and it grives my ass to no end that the FSB is canted on the most expensive AR that I've ever owned.

send it back!!

They will fix it for FREE!

and should
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top