Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 6:50:35 PM EDT
Hello to all

nice to meet all of you, i am new guy here in northeastern wisconsn.

I am starting my first AR build, and i was wondering if i am correct and starting things right

iam going to get a kit from model1sales for a 24" varment rifle kit

all i need is a stripped lower and i am off to the range... right?

is the 24" er shaw barrel a good choice or is there a beter thing for me to hunt for.  (I am looking to start,not the best)

thanks for putting up with the new dumb dumb questions

SS
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not go with a 24", but the kit will give you everything except the lower receiver.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
ok, like i say, i am new to the ar stuff, so why not the 24" gun, and is that a full lower or just the stripped lower?

thanks for the replys and the patients

SS
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The 24" AR seems to be better suited for bench work, and not for carrying around.  This is my personal opinion, and there are no doubt people who are going to say that they feel comfortable walking around with a 24" heavy barrel rifle all day in the woods.  I would submit most of those people have never actually done this.

A 20" barrel gives you good velocity, and keeps a manageable barrel length and weight to the weapon.   The 24" is unwieldy to me.

The kit comes with everything you need with the exception of a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Stickman on the 24" subject

If I recall correctly the 24" has no benefit - ballistics-wise - over the 20"er

Plus, I would guess there are fewer than one 24" AR15 in every 100. That says something about its place in the AR world.

Recommend you spend a few hours in the forums here - AR15 Discussions, Built it Yourself, and Industry Forum, to learn what the experts are saying

This site is contributed to by some of the most knowledgeable AR15 people anywhere

Welcome to the site, stoutshooter!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome aboard!

... and ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks eye-spy,

ok,ok

i am in the market for the 20" kit, and a stripped lower, now a few more questions that  i have thought up... (thanks for treating me like a new guy, but nice enough to answer me

Is the ER shaw barrel, a good barrel,i built a couple of 10/22s and i love there rimfire barrel

Is model1sales a good place to buy from?

Is stainless a better option then chrome?

1-8, 1-9 twist any difference??

thanks

SS

(the last of the new dumb dumb questions h.gif
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#7]
stoutshooter, I have 3 AR15s, two 16" and one 24". I suggest for a first AR you should go with the 16". It gives you the best all around performance from home defence to hunting to sport shooting. As for my 24" rifle, Its not really recomended for home defence because of how long and heavey it is. I can't take it hunting because I'm not willing to lug around a 10lb rifle all day long.

But that is just my opinion.

Wesley
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is the ER shaw barrel, a good barrel,i built a couple of 10/22s and i love there rimfire barrel

I do not have personal experience with these barrels; but my understanding from these forums is that they are fine, and I can recall no reason why you would not be satisfied with one for an AR.

Is model1sales a good place to buy from?

The concensus on this forum of Model 1 is decidedly mixed. The impression I get by reading here is that product quality is hit-or-miss, and customer service more so. A personal friend of mine bought a Model 1 kit, and had no problems, except for a finicky bolt, which he has elected to replace because of a persistent failure to extract. Horror stories abound on these forums, but on the other hand you may get lucky.

Is stainless a better option then chrome?

I am assuming you are getting a Varmint rifle.... to shoot varmints...many that I have seen built here had heavy, stainless barrels, for maximum accuracy I believe (heavy barrel means less barrel whip). Could you do it differently? Sure. But understand that standard barrels with chrome lining are different than an entirely stainless-steel barrel. Both are easier to clean than a standard chrome-moly barrel, and last longer. Read more if in doubt as to the advantage of one over another in your application.

1-8, 1-9 twist any difference??

I have a 1/9 barrel, because from what I have read, it is capable of shooting the greatest variety of bullet weights. I think the logic is, tighter twist, requires heavier bullet (lest you spin the lighter ones apart). Google the subject or read this forum to double check my thinking and make sure whatever you pick is right for your needs.

Hope this was helpful to you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
1:8 SS barrels will shoot VERY nice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome aboard, I can testify to the 24" being a pig, mine is strictly a bench gun....If you could give us your intentions for the gun, we could better get you pointed in the rite direction...I myself like others here have different AR's for different purposes.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like he's looking for a hunting gun, maybe recreational range shooting too.  Your best bet would either be a 16 or 20" barrel.  I'd go with chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sounds like he's looking for a hunting gun, maybe recreational range shooting too.  Your best bet would either be a 16 or 20" barrel.  I'd go with chrome lined.

If thats the case a standard 16" or 20" like you said with a removeable carry handle might be the move...I'm thinking pull the carry handle and fix a scope on an ARMS quick release for hunting or any "long" range work....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
stoutshooter...

The 24" will gain you about 50-70FPS over the 20" (depending on what ammo of course), not enough to really justify it in most cases.

You may not get a warm and fuzzy feeling from people on here about Model 1 Sales, you can do a search for NESARD, SENDRA, M&A to get some more feedback on this matter...

My suggestion to you (like it matters) is to make sure your first experience is a pleasent one; that said, I would recommend giving some of the dealers on here a call and talking to them. ADCO is up there with you in north Texas someplace (OH) and has a very good reputation.

Some of the *newer* names to the industry have some very good offerings, BravoCompany comes to mind, but I am thinking (from what you have said) that a RRA SS 1:8 is in your future... you could do a LOT worse, trust me.

Anyway, just want to make sure you get what you are looking for... enjoy your new rifle when you get it and welcome!

Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Talk about hitting the nail on the head with that one...

i am looking mostly to kill paper and some hunting for myself.

So i am looking at a .223 chamber with a 20" chrome lined barrel  (wise decision??)

also thinking about RRA or a stag lower for the first time around

Will change out for better parts in the future
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Welcomr to the site, you would be correct with a kit all you need is a stripped lower, I have one of the shaw 24 inch uppers and I love it , it shots .5 inch groups at 150yds and at100 yds tou can put 8 shots in a dime, you can't go wrong with E.R.Shaw
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]
How Far will you be shooting?

A longer barrel gives you more velocity and a slightly flatter trajectory , but doesnt
really affect accuracy.

Model 1 uses Shaw barrels- so do a lot of other makers.
They have a 16" heavy bull barrel kit in stainless , great for carrying around
(compared to a 20' or 24") and would be fine for 300 yds or less
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#17]
i can't believe how little i know, but thanks for the help i apreaciate the patients

I would say that i am going to keep things under 300 ydsfor 99% of the time, with nothing over 400 yds

i am afraid if i should even open one last can of worms....

i am gonna get a 20" stainless variment style rifle

with a RRA or stag lower

please be nice on this last question....

223 or 5.56???

i am thinking 223 because 223 seems to be more economical and widly available.

am i right???Thanks for everything will post when i get finished with this adventure
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top