Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:12:19 PM EDT
Okay, so I'm looking for a good weapon light that uses AA's like my Eotech.  Call me odd, but I only wanna carry one type of battery...

Are there any?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck finding one.  Anything running on just AA's probably isn't worth sticking on your rifle anyways.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay, so I'm looking for a good weapon light that uses AA's like my Eotech.  Call me odd, but I only wanna carry one type of battery...

Are there any?

I looked for awhile, and couldn't come up with anything decent.  If someone has something, I would also be interested in knowing.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Elektrolumens XM-3,  60Lumen LED and runs on 2 AA batteries for an hour.  It will fit in 1" light mounts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Are there any?

I do not know of any.  You have to remember that a good quality weapon light that puts out between 60-120 lumens is going to need more power than a couple of AAs batteries are going to be able to likely provide.  

In addition, your run time would be very short indeed and the shelf life of the AA batteries would be short compared to the 10 years you get for they typical Lithium 3 volt battery that power the vast majority of weapon lights currently on the market.    

Bottom line, I am not sure you would want a weapon light that utilized AA batteries even if someone makes one.  Just my .02 cents worth.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I should point out it's relatively heavy (thick walls), and it's not always available from the manufacturer (small outfit), but it is a solid performer (I wish I had ordered more at the time).

XM-3
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In addition, your run time would be very short indeed and the shelf life of the AA batteries would be short compared to the 10 years you get for they typical Lithium 3 volt battery that power the vast majority of weapon lights currently on the market.    

Standard Alkalines last 7 years, AA Lithiums are very common, and the XM-3 can run on standard AA NiMH rechargeables...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]

The LED in this flashlight is a Luxeon Star LED, rated at 3 watts, and 72 lumens. This LED will last 50,000 hours (5 years continuous.) The boost circuit boosts at about 600mA, and the batteries will last about 2 hours (depending on type and quality of batteries used.) Any type of 1.2V or 1.5V AA battery will work, (nimh, nicad, alkalines, lithium).

Very interesting, thankyou.  Being on sale for $50 makes it a very interesting unit.  

It seems many light makers feel that max dollar/ max profit is the way to run a show.  Its nice to see Pentagon, these people and a small handful of others keep things realistic.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
so where can I buy an xm-3?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Try clicking on the link he gave us....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Stickman,
Note the LED is rated at 72 Lumens, but that is assuming you are running it at full power (this booster circuit doesn't) and you have one from the right 'bin'.  I talked with the Elektrolumens guy and he gave me suggestions on how to boost it up to full power.  For my use the 60lumens is good enough.

Chis,
Did you click on the link I posted?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try clicking on the link he gave us....

hehe, i meant was there anywhere else to buy one.  It seems like a deal, but i figured someone else might sell it for 10 dollars less...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Forest,

One of the nice things about it for cops is that we are usually issued batteries, so getting AA isn't an issue.  The 123s aren't issued by my guys, though they may be by other departments.  

Having a ready supply is always nice, especially for graveyard guys who don't always get a chance to see what an open business looks like.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree, I get AA's for free as well...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I should ask what's a good light mount while I'm at it.  I want one that screws on like my Eotech preferably, but I'm open to others...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Chris,

Are you running a rail, or how are you mounting this?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Chris,

Are you running a rail, or how are you mounting this?

I have a surefire rail on my midlength.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Having a ready supply is always nice, especially for graveyard guys who don't always get a chance to see what an open business looks like.

So I can see why your really want an AA powered light - you can get AAs at any all night gas station/convience store.

While I bought this light originally with the intention of using it for a weapon mounted light I ended up keeping it in my Jeep.  I needed a bright light and since I always have spare AAs in my Cherokee I thoughtit was a better place for it.

My Innova T3 (LED) uses 123s and puts out 85 Lumens for 2 hours, the VLTOR stock carries two spare sets of batteries for it.  They both weight about the same (a little more than my 650) but the Innova has more output.  So I tend to prefer the Innova on the carbine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Chris,
All my lights are mounted using the TDI mounts.  It's a slick mount with pushbutton (2 actually) install/removal.  It comes in 3 colors (black/green/tan) and when the light/mount is removed from the carbine I can use the combo with the Rogers hold using the mount as the retention ring (like the ring on the G2Z lights).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris,
All my lights are mounted using the TDI mounts.  It's a slick mount with pushbutton (2 actually) install/removal.  It comes in 3 colors (black/green/tan) and when the light/mount is removed from the carbine I can use the combo with the Rogers hold using the mount as the retention ring (like the ring on the G2Z lights).

Thanks, but I really don't like that mount for some reason.  It reminds me of a fat girl...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I've done business with Electro Lumens in the past (I'm a www.candlepowerforums.com member as well).  I'd do business with them again.

This light looks real nice if you want to standardize on AA.  At $50, I'm tempted even though most of my other lights run on CR123s now.

Lately, I've been considering a Surefire 511 (got two uppers with USGI pencil barrels and triangular handguard cups) or an HDS Systems EDC or Surefire X200 on an FSB mounted rail.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thanks, but I really don't like that mount for some reason.  It reminds me of a fat girl...

The Daniel Defense is very nice, and while its not cheap, it is squared away like inspection day....

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks Stick, that looks like it's supposed to be on a firearm...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top