Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:16:24 AM EDT
A guy I know was reloading his stock Bushy m-4gry with 55 gr TAP and when he let the bolt fly he had a slamfire. Fortunately the round went straight into the ground. He swears his weapon was on safe and his finger was not on the trigger. Will reloading the same round multiple times cause this to happen?  I want to call B.S. and tell him he probably pulled the trigger when he shouldnt have but there were no witnesses, we only heard it and went out into the parking lot. I did 3.5 years active duty in the army and 5 years in the guard (airborne infantry)  and have never seen one. Can you enlighten me?

This really reinforces the whole "keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction" thing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
theoretically the firing pin could fly forward and hit a soft primer, causing it to fire. but like you said, i've never seen one.

what could cause this? a worn firing pin retaining pin?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Due to the free-floating firing pin in AR15 rifles, this can happen.

More likely to occur to a reloader with a "not-fully" seated primer, but repeated chambering of the same round is Verboten IIRC, in the military for this reason.

And yes, as I reload I have seen this occur on about 3 ocassions.

Which is why one should never depend on the "safety" and ALWAYs make sure your rifle is pointing in a safe direction when chambering a round.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
if he hasn't already, I'm sure he needs to change his pants.

Seat those primers folks... it scares me even reading this, I normally walk the first one in then tap it home.

keep the business end up and downrange!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
would be a good time to check the timing of his FCG.

can happen, is very rare with com ammo

Is there  timing with a semi weapon? If so how is this checked?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if he hasn't already, I'm sure he needs to change his pants.

Seat those primers folks... it scares me even reading this, I normally walk the first one in then tap it home.

keep the business end up and downrange!

I don't know if he shat himself...but he was white as a ghost when we got out there.

This was factory Hornady TAP ammo, not a reload.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top