Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:27:12 AM EDT
If anyone knows, can link me to or would be willing to share any info, it would be much appreciated.  I would like ANY "scientific" data that anyone can produce.  Specific measured data from actual test conditions- pressure inside gas tube over time, bolt carrier accleration, cycle time variance, hammer impulse forces, hammer motion over time and any other piece of info that has been collected about the AR15/M16 system operation.  I am also curious as to the other parts, the various buffers available (sizes, masses, dampening), Gas block hole sizes, gas tube volumes, the various extractors springs, extractor inserts (blue, green, black, o-ring), buffer springs (spring rates), firing pin masses, bolt carrier masses, chamber pressure over time, firing cycle time (on auto firing and semi auto firing) and just any other piece of data collected.  

Thanks for any supported input and thanks to GUNZILLA!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
removed
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Bolt Bounce will occasionally be a problem with the shorter buffers, but there is no reason that an M4 clone needs to have a heavy buffer.  There's something else at work.

Here's a thought.  CHANGE THE BUFFER SPRING!  They are only good for about 4-5,000 rounds IIRC.  Another thing is to check the timing on the stock.  Often times, it's longer than it needs to be.  You can turn it one more turn although you often will have to take off some material so the buffer stop plunger will still be free to move.  This shortens the cycle and doesn't allow the bolt carrier to gain enough speed to bounce when it slams forward.

Other things:
- Change the gas rings.
- Install a "Pit-Tail" gas tube.
- Heavier Buffer (Already mentioned)
- Replace the synthetic bumper on your buffer.
- Use a heavier carrier or 'weights' in your carrier.

Is it really an M4 or is it a gun with a lightning link or other apparatus?  The M16/M4 bolt carrier is heavier and elminates many of the problems you have with bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
COLT ships their 14.5" semi carbines with an H buffer for good reason. The buffer spring is not listed as one of the parts allowed to fail in the 6,000 round test. The M4 carbine uses an M16 carrier AND an H buffer.

Is that "H" buffer mil-spec?  Also, I didn't say it would fail, just that they weren't good for that amount of time.  Changing the buffer spring is CHEAP and at the top of the 'likely' causes.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I remember, HD's rifle is an M4ergy that has Colt lower and I believe it was Double Star or J&T 14.5 A3 upper.  I know it seemed to run fine on some reloads ... Ultramax or something like that and then it started this "bolt bounce" on Wolf.  Everyone else in the group had almost no stoppages on everything from full size 20 inchers to a 11.5" shorty.  There was all kinds of different ammo.

Thanks again to all who shared some input!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
redacted
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is that "H" buffer mil-spec?  

Is the rest of the rifle?

Uh, you didn't answer my question.  I asked because I didn't know, not because I'm playing 'gotcha.'
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top