Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:17:28 AM EDT
Hey guys,
I could really use some opinions on what i should buy for my first rifle.  Im leaning towards an ar-15 but there is so many configs and options its got my head spinning.  I dont really have a lotta scratch to use and was hoping for something around 600-700.  I went to a shop and the guy was asking 900 for an ar-15 with a match barrel.  Im fairly new to shooting aside from my high school riflery team so buying an already upgraded rifle isnt a big priority.  Can you guys suggest a setup i can get in the 600-700 range? I dont really mind buying used either unless there is a major reason provided not too.  Im also going to check out another place around my house who supposedly has a big selection of ar-15's and hope hes got a good price.  Thanks in advance for the help and i hope this isnt posted in the wrong place in any case dont jump the n00b!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You live in NY state, which means you are stuck with your own private version of weapon ban hell.

If I were you, I would look around and consider my options.  You could probably get a lightly used AWB compliant upper, and build an M16A2 or M16A4 clone for that price range.

The below pictured weapon is one that I threw together during the AWB.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
thats a nice gun.  Im not sure what you mean by "awb"  and also is there anything really difficult about building it yourself because keep in mind this would be my first.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Stick is referring to the Federal Assault Weapons ban that went into effect September 13, 1994, and expired Spetember 13, 2004. The ban included restricting certain features of "assault weapons" manufactured after the Sep 13 1994 active date such as flash hiders, collapsable stocks, and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices (read: high-cap magazines). Even though the Federal AWB expired, some states have their own AWB's that are similar in design to the Federal version. New York is one of those states.

I don't know the specifics of NY's AWB, but many folks have opted to purchase receivers that were manufactured prior to Sep 1994, thus making them "pre-ban" and not subject to the same restrictions covered by an AWB. These preban receivers carried a higher market value, but allowed the owner to add the "evil" features.

You will have to check your state laws as to what you can and can't have. As far as obtaining an AR variant, they can be had in your price range. I would suggest looking at the Equipment Exchange portion of this site, as there are alot of good deals to be had.

As far as AR configurations, it basically boils down to the type of shooting you are going to be doing versus the look you want. The AR has become quite the modular system. The basic question you must ask yourself is "rifle or carbine....?" From there, it can be narrowed down even further, from fixed or foldable sights, addition of railed handguards, addition of optics, bipods, and aftermarket/custom grips and stocks. You are only really limited by your budget and what state law allows.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey all, i got a question, and im not tryin to be a smart ass.  I was working the suffern ny sports show, the hunting and fishing expo, i was with cold brook hunts working their stand, but saturday, there was a gun show in my hotel, and they were selling bushmaster M-4's, with pinned tele stocks, but 20 feet away they were selling 6 pos. tele stocks, 30 rd mags, all the fun stuff.  How do they get away with selling all of this stuff in a AWB state, well a state that has its own AWB.  Just wondering?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey all, i got a question, and im not tryin to be a smart ass.  I was working the suffern ny sports show, the hunting and fishing expo, i was with cold brook hunts working their stand, but saturday, there was a gun show in my hotel, and they were selling bushmaster M-4's, with pinned tele stocks, but 20 feet away they were selling 6 pos. tele stocks, 30 rd mags, all the fun stuff.  How do they get away with selling all of this stuff in a AWB state, well a state that has its own AWB.  Just wondering?

For Repair or Replacement Only.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Try this link if it doesn't work then you can just cut and paste. Brand new 16" M4 with collasible stock from Centerfire Systems for $699. www. centerfiresystems.com

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=ARSTARCAR-A3&Category_Code=AR15
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try this link if it doesn't work then you can just cut and paste. Brand new 16" M4 with collasible stock from Centerfire Systems for $699. www. centerfiresystems.com

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=ARSTARCAR-A3&Category_Code=AR15hug.gif

That looks like a great deal. What kind of quality are we talking about with the Star-15's, I havent heard of them before.

John

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thats a nice gun.  Im not sure what you mean by "awb"  and also is there anything really difficult about building it yourself because keep in mind this would be my first.

Bad Karma~

I only got into the wonderful world of AR's a few months ago when I bought my first AR. I can't begin to tell you how easy it is to work on these things. All you really need is the proper tools and basic knowledge of handtools (common sense helps too) This forum provides a wealth of knowledge. Some excellent guides are foud here: BUILD IT YOURSELF FORUM LINK and here: SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS LINK aside from that, just reading all the old posts and looking at what others have built and you will end up wanting to build more and more. I just ordered two lower assemblies so I can build a rifle and a pistol.

Hope that helps

Gene    

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wanted to say, welcome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just wanted to say, welcome! hr

Thanks eye! a lotta good info thanks guys!  As far as ordering parts or even that star-15 (which looks like a sweet deal by the way) goes after i order the parts does it need to be shipped to my local dealer?  Whats the process of ordering these things? say if i ordered this http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976639675.htm and this http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976638695.htm
and assembled them would it be a pretty good reliable rifle? Maybe i should get one new with a case the intruction booklet and some mags?  http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976645587.htm

How reliable is a site like that anybody buy from there?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a look at eagle firearms they have very good prices on stag lowers. The only thing you have to get sent to the dealer is the lower reciver every thing else can be sent to you door step. Here is a link to there website http://www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm I used stag for my first build and they have exeptional quality for a great price.  Good luck and welcome to the expensive and fun world of firearms!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry the link didnt post try this http://www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Move out of New York. Move to a free state. Somewhere where the Bill of Rights is still in effect.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Rock River is selling kits for about $600. You just have to find a lower reciever and a configuration that won't send you to jail. I am doing about 50% of the build on my newest rifle (not that it's finished) and like anythying you build yourself you value it more. I'm finding it very rewarding, personally. he

Welcome to the clinic. There is no cure.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
You should post a WTB ad in the equipment exchange. Ask for a post-ban rifle. They should be real cheap in the free states.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Move out of New York. Move to a free state. Somewhere where the Bill of Rights is still in effect.

I choose to fight from behind enemy lines ... Pre Ban Pre Ban Pre ban
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top