Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 4:58:36 PM EDT
Well just had another sucessful hunting trip.  On Friday my 6 year old son and I went to a small greenfield in hopes of him shooting his first deer.  As we walked to the edge of the field I glassed through the timber and spotted 15 wild pigs.  We eased around the corner to get a better look.  The closest was about 100 yards so, too far for my son to make the shot, plus he had no rest.  I dropped the 140 pound sow in her tracks with a single shot to the neck with a 60 grain ballistic tip round handloaded by a friend.  We gathered her up and went to cleaning.

Saturday evening my 6 years old son, named Hunter, and I went to our big field.  It is about a mile long and varies in width from 50 yards to 300 yards.  We set up in the far west shooting house and waited.  Everytime a deer came into the field my son would hug me and give me this HUGE smile.  "Can I shoot that one Dad?"  Hunter is deadly at 50 yards.  Great trigger control for a 6 year old.  Anyway, I limit his shots to 50 yards.  He is using my 16 inch bull barrel, EOP topped with a 3-9 X 40 scopeand a 4-position stock set to the shortest pull.  His little hands can fit the grip and his finger goes into the trigger guard nicely.  I did install a 2 stage Chip McCormick trigger because the DPMS fire control was really stiff.  At anyrate a spike came out at 100 yards and played for 40 minutes or so.  I grunted it to about 35 yards but it was on the right side of the shooting house and the window was too high to rest the gun on and see the deer.  He waited.  Soon another spike came out and our friend went over to but heads.  With about 5 minutes of shooting light left the first spike feed to within 65 yards and offered a standing broadside shot.  Hunter settled the cross hairs behind the shoulder and stated he was on him.  I selected fire and Hunter squeezed the trigger.  "Dad I saw fire in the scope."  With his first statement I knew I had a hunter.  The spike dropped in his tracks.  Those ballistic tips rock.  You never saw a prouder Dad.  He was so excited he was shaking.

I love this AR stuff.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!  

Bob
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Bet you wish Matthews made a youth bow his size huh?  Tell him congrats.  My son is only 2 so I'm sill waiting...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats to you and your son. My son is 12 now and I started him out at about the same age as you have started your son. These will be some of the best memories of your life.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Looking for a left handed Gensis bow.  He wants to shoot everyday now.  I have turned him loose with his Buck BB gun.  He is hitting aluminum cans at 15 -20 feet with that crappy trigger and irn sights.  He wants me to put a scope on it.  I'll drill and tap the receiver and mount a cheep NcStar or something.  I have started to fill water ballons so the have a good pop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing better than hunting with kids!!!!!! We all should do it more often.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Great post... we need some pics though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot of people don't realize just how great of a hunting rifle the AR is for kids.  I have two sons that hunt with ARs.  The youngest, 11, hasn't killed anything with his yet but he does a great job in shooting it out to 100yds.  

Great read!  Thanks for the post and glad you, and your kids, had a great time!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great post... we need some pics though.

what he said
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Great job! Your six year old has his first deer. I bet that was your best Christmas gift yet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
not only will they be Dad's best memories , those will be some of your son's best memories. It is great to see Fathers teaching their sons to hunt at an early age. I think all kids should receive firearms training to teach them to respect weapons. excellent job Dad keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw on Law & Order last night where they said "the AR15 is hardly suitable for hunting", it must be true, you know, since I saw it on TV.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive killed a full size cow at 100 yds with a single 55 gr shot to the left eye out of a Colt SP1 A1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top