Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 7:47:25 AM EDT
The bolt carrier key on my RRA (ARFCOM LEGP ) became so loose it rattles.

My 1960’s era TM says to torque the screws down to 35-40 in. Lbs. and staking them.

Other than degreasing everything before I put it back together – has there been any changes in the process of re-installing a the bolt carrier key in the last 40 years – like the use of loc-tite, anything like that?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the staking thread that is ongoing right now....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Why yes there has been a change in securing carrier keys.  Top two pictured carrier keys are staked with two strikes, one per carrier key bolt, some were done round, and other square (pictured).  This method was standard from the start of production.  Bottom carrier key has the modern method employed starting in about 1968 or:

Never heard of a compound being used on the threads, don't see how it would be much help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  Did a search and found tweak's mega-thread:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=259333
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top