Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:48:59 PM EDT
I just bought a Colt LE 6920.  What are the essentials that I will need (optics, ammo, etc)?  I am an AR novice.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the site!

all you will need right now will be some USGI mags and good ammo

a good, comfortable sling would do too

as for optics, what kind of distances?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reponse!  As far as distance , 100-150 yds at most.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Possible Aimpoint with a 3x Magnification.  That way you can shoot close distances and use the 3x for the 100-150yrd shots.

I believe this can be done with an Eotech too.

However with Acogs, you pretty much are limited to 4x fixed depending on what you get.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what your skill level is, but from your question, I'll assume you are fairly new to the AR15/ M16 platform.

Right now, your money is best spent on some magazines and ammunition.  

Don't listen to the people who tell you to go buy optics before you master or get proficient with iron sights.  Until you get familiar with your weapon, people are only jerking you around.  Go shoot it a lot, read the boards, and ask questions.  Otherwise you will be throwing money away on things you don't need, can't use, or don't like.

Basics first.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm not sure what your skill level is, but from your question, I'll assume you are fairly new to the AR15/ M16 platform.

Don't listen to the people who tell you to go buy optics before you master or get proficient with iron sights.  Until you get familiar with your weapon, people are only jerking you around.  Go shoot it a lot, read the boards, and ask questions.  Otherwise you will be throwing money away on things you don't need, can't use, or don't like.

Basics first.

+1
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Basics first.

Yes.  I am an AR15 n00b.  Based on my experience with other firearms, this sounds like very reasonable advice.  I hear that the USGI mags with the green followers are the best.  Is this true?  Are there comparable mags out there?  Also, what would be your ammo suggestions for the range and for "just in case" purposes?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:49:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Basics first.

Yes.  I am an AR15 n00b.  Based on my experience with other firearms, this sounds like very reasonable advice.  I hear that the USGI mags with the green followers are the best.  Is this true?  Are there comparable mags out there?  Also, what would be your ammo suggestions for the range and for "just in case" purposes?  Thanks.

USGI mags w/ green followers are some of the best priced quallity mags around--check the EE and the industry board for NIW mags forr ~$15 or less; comparable mags are the British steel ones and the HK ones

check out the mag forum and ammo forum

www.ammo-oracle.com

i use wolf, WWB, adn PMC for the range for plinking and such; i stock Federal XM193 for SHFT
there are lots of good ammo, but they run more than 20cents/rd

oh yea, +1 on mr stickman's advice; but for those ranges and top notch optics, the ACOG would be ideal imo
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Plenty of high quality magazines

good ammo

trigger time

then you will know what you do and do not like or want to enhance

Maybe nothing, maybe a lot of things.

Many will tell you they enjoy shooting their plain Jane AR15s much more than they do their EE-crap-magnets...

welcome to AR15.com!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
USGI mags w/ the green followers are good. You dont need HK mags at 4 times the cost. stear clear of USA or other blued steal mags there junk.

If you want the best mag for the buck, get  USGI mags with Magpul follwers installed.

your rifle needs ammo, rang time, mags. Optics you can get later, but dot scope (aimpoints eotechs) do make for real easy shooting all you do is put the dot on target, no lining up items on 3 planes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top