Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:22:38 PM EDT
What is the deal with the DPMS bolts? Are they any good or any better than any others?  What about their guns as a whole ? What is the general opinion of DPMS ?   thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used DPMS parts for years. Lower parts, lowers, bolts and carriers...

Never had a failure of any kind with them.

I like DPMS's stuff...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have used DPMS parts for years. Lower parts, lowers, bolts and carriers...

Never had a failure of any kind with them.

I like DPMS's stuff...

Weeell; let me give you the other side.  First DPMS lower I bought came out of the wrap w/a gouge in the buttstock. The bolt holdopen was out of apec and gouged the upper when I tried to use it; and worst of all the cut in the front lugs was so far off center that the upper assy tilted when mounted.

Now, I am currently using a stripped DPMS piece to build up a model of the first issue Air Force M16.  The thing came with forge leavings that would literally gouge your fingers, but I bought it because it was wide enough to match the ver wide GI surp upper it was going under; and I figured I would just trim the flashing when I took off the other A2 bits. I did so, but it made the job much more time consuming than it should have been.

Buy another DPMS product, other than hammer and triggers, etc? Not at this house.

(Edited to add)  I'll let the multiple members who had bolt failures w/DPMS pieces add their comments.  I've never used any of their bolts.  Had one of their carriers once, for a couple of months. Worked OK, but was so full of gouges and tool marks I couldn't stand to look at it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no manufacturer with a WORSE reputation for its bolt carrier group than DPMS. I have one, and it is functional....barely. I got lucky--a lot of DPMS bolts have lost lugs. They are badly out of spec.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
<-------
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is no manufacturer with a WORSE reputation for its bolt carrier group than DPMS. I have one, and it is functional....barely. I got lucky--a lot of DPMS bolts have lost lugs. They are badly out of spec.

OH SHIT! I just ordered a DPMS B/BC/CH and a complete upper with B/BC/CH from R Guns.

I'll give a report when it gets here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have not had good luck at all  with DPMS parts....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone bought one of the DPMS 6.8 bolts? They don't have the lobster tail extractor like the LMT ones do. I was thinking of a 6.8 build and saw their bolts were pretty reasonably dealer priced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a new DPMS Titanium Bolt from a member here on EE ... functions and fits perfectly ....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have good luck with all my DPMS stuff...bolts and carriers included.
I can't however say the same for the CMT assembly I got from a good dealer on the bord...the carrier was to big to fit in any of my uppers.  The vendor took it back and I paid more for a different bolt/carrier in stock....
As I always believe, ALL companies have problems at some time if they are around long enough...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never had any problems, between the 2 DPMS rifles I have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Bad bolt here.
It was not machined properly, and had many burrs on the locking lugs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
No problems with mine.  Had a problem with the Colt that was in the rifle, and switched in the middle of a match (I know I shouldn't have done it...but I checked dimensions on the two bolts and it was close enough to be safe).  Since, I've been running the JP-LMOS which is a completely different setup and it runs like a champ...if you have no problem keeping your rifles clean.

Here's my theory on parts.  No one's parts are much better than anyone elses, unless they are custom parts.  Translation.  I believe that everything from companies like JP Enterprises, D&L Sports, GA Precision, et. al. are better 'cause they tend to be one off, or built with tons of experience in beating the parts up and making them better.  Just a theory...but my firearms don't jam.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What is the deal with the DPMS bolts? Are they any good or any better than any others?  What about their guns as a whole ? What is the general opinion of DPMS ?   thanks

COLT bolts are probably the best !
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have many DPMS carriers and bolts and have never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 12,000 rounds on one of my DPMS bolts, and another 4,000 rounds on my other two.

no problem at all.

buy one, if it doesnt like you, sell it to me, seriously.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a DPMS bolt crack at the cam pin hole.   The rifle did not have any sort of catastrophic damage to it, just malfunctioned.   I pulled it apart and kind of had a "holy shit, look at that" moment.    I emailed DPMS about it and sent them the bolt, they replaced it for free but it did make me worry about it.    I had no other issues with either of 2 DPMS rifles I owned.   I still have 1 DPMS lower and it's nicer than my Bushmaster lower.    The bushy shows more lines and crap than any other lower I've ever had but at least everything lines up properly, it's just cosmetic.

Overall I wouldnt shy away from DPMS stuff but wont buy their barrels for lack of chrome lining.   I prefer Colt bolts.   Cry once
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

COLT bolts are probably the best !

+1
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#19]
my dpms bolt looks like crap and looks like someone made it with a dremel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH SHIT! I just ordered a DPMS B/BC/CH and a complete upper with B/BC/CH from R Guns.

I'll give a report when it gets here.

imo the two worst things put in one sentence
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Bah......I have two DPMS Rifles and I've never had a problem with either of them, everyone has their favorites, and in fact my 20" A2 outshot my buddies equivalent bushy and he had a double feed when we took them out to the range....

Not saying one company is any better than the other......to each his own, however don't buy into all the DPMS bashing they make a good rifle and they have excellent customer service if you do have a problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
my dpms bolt looks like crap and looks like someone made it with a dremel.

+1, but mine still seems to function okay.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have 12,000 rounds on one of my DPMS bolts, and another 4,000 rounds on my other two.

no problem at all.

I'm with you.  The above mentioned bolt has 50,000 round on it in the 12 months before joining the Army (gotta love IPSC/IMGA 3-Gun).  No problems with it.  Brand names are just that names.  They don't mean anything.  Colt produces as much crap as Bushmaster as Rock River and as DPMS (Colt just does it with bigger pin holes ).  

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I have had many DPMS rifles, and various partsby my count in the many hundreds.  I have never had the problems with any of them as described by some of you.  Do you know for a fact you are buying DPMS parts, as in factory direct?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have had many DPMS rifles, and various partsby my count in the many hundreds.  I have never had the problems with any of them as described by some of you.  Do you know for a fact you are buying DPMS parts, as in factory direct?

Yep. The "D" on the bolt carrier is a clue
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no problem at all.

I'm with you.  The above mentioned bolt has 50,000 round on it in the 12 months before joining the Army (gotta love IPSC/IMGA 3-Gun).  No problems with it.  Brand names are just that names.  They don't mean anything.  Colt produces as much crap as Bushmaster as Rock River and as DPMS.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Not true

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not calling anyone a liar.  Your experience is your experience.  You would think, though, statically speaking, a person dealing in the many hundreds would have some of  the same problems.  I have not.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a DPMS complete lower with a DPMS B/BC/CH in the Bushmaster upper that I own.  It looks and works great.  Most parts for any AR maker are all made by a very small group of companies.  The true maker just stamps whatever name on the part.  The upper receiver on my Bushmaster upper was made by the same company that makes them for Colt.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Dpms has been selling bolts and carriers for over 10 years and have only recently started marking them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Dpms has been selling bolts and carriers for over 10 years and have only recently started marking them.

Yeah, but mine is marked, so....

DPMS bolt issues are well known. Sorry boys, but its true. Some of their other parts may be workable, I haven't tried.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is what I know, cause it's happened to me-

I have had Colts, Bushmasters, RRA, PWA, EA and DPMS's.

My Colts and RRAs have never let me down, nor has the DPMS parts, lowers and Uppers that I have used and that includes Carriers and Bolts.

My one factory built Bushmaster..piece of crap and Bushmaster will not do anything about it. I had to get it fixed, on my dime. I would sell it, but I do not want to pawn off a problem rifle on anyone.

My first and last venture into Bushmaster. They would not stand behind their product that was flawed when it left the factory. Regardless of what others say, I will not spend another dime on Bushmaster

Can we all agree that we all have had our share of compaines who's parts worked for us and those that did not?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
While at my range... I often see new shooters with AR15 style rifles.

I always make a point to walk up, introduce myself, and plug this website.  Quite often, the person is having a bit of trouble with their rifle functioning.

I can tell you with complete honesty.... I see problems with the gas system, and DPMS bolts/carriers on a REGULAR basis.  Just this past weekend, a fellow shooter could not get his gun to run.... I inspected the bolt/carrier... all looked fine, but there was that big "D" stamped on it.

Honestly, I dont know if they make their own parts.... or this is just some sort of statistical anomoly.  But from I have read on this board, coupled with my own personal experiences.... I wont own any of their small parts, and certainly not their bolts or carriers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can we all agree that we all have had our share of compaines who's parts worked for us and those that did not?

ABSOLUTELY.  Every manufacturers sends out a dog or two.  Even the mighty Colt.  

However, some of us have run across a wider sample than the few rifles we actually own.... and can see trends in specific parts, from specific manufacturers.

Just because there are a lot of members here who had flawless function from *their* DPMS whatever.... is pretty meaningless.  The sample size is just too small.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ABSOLUTELY.  Every manufacturers sends out a dog or two.  Even the mighty Colt.  

However, some of us have run across a wider sample than the few rifles we actually own.... and can see trends in specific parts, from specific manufacturers.

Just because there are a lot of members here who had flawless function from *their* DPMS whatever.... is pretty meaningless.  The sample size is just too small.

What he said!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#37]
I have never had any issues with DPMS.

When I was not satisfied with some nit picky thing I called them, sent the part into them for a FREE new replacement, no questions asked.

Conditions useage and care have a lot to to with functioning and issues.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I have near 2000 rounds on my DPMS - no issues what so ever
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

no problem at all.

I'm with you.  The above mentioned bolt has 50,000 round on it in the 12 months before joining the Army (gotta love IPSC/IMGA 3-Gun).  No problems with it.  Brand names are just that names.  They don't mean anything.  Colt produces as much crap as Bushmaster as Rock River and as DPMS.

Not true

Not true?  Based on what?  Saying, "Because" isn't really a valid argument.  Tell you what, y'all can get on your knees for Bushmaster, Colt, et. al. and those of us that get guns for free 'cause we win matches will continue to spend money, when we want to on quality products from companies that don't screw shooters and moreso support the shooting sports.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had the chance to try a DPMS Panther 24" bull barrel for about two weeks. Fit and finish was awesome, I'd say better then my Bushy 20" float bull barrel (VMATCH). Fit is really tight, but since this is a precision rifle, I like it definitely more than lose fit. It is frigging accurate with the ammo I tried it (150gr BT).
I ordered my own Panther about a month ago, I should receive it in 2-3 weeks and I'll report back once I get it.
This rig will cost me about $600 less than an equivalent AR10, and I'd pick the Panther over the AR10 even if it'd cost the same.

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#41]
How about we agree that sometimes parts just break.  Heck, my buddies and I collect Glock parts that we break, "assemble" a pistol and take it to GSSF matches just so the Glock Armorer will swap every part in the gun for free.  New parts for us....wooohoo!!!

Every one of us has our favorites and our good/bad experiences.  Let's buy what we buy rather than wholesale discounting a manufacturer.  I personally can't stand Bushmaster.  I think they rip people for a product that's not equitable to the prices they charge.  Colt's in there too.  HOWEVER, I own Colt's as they were some of the first AR's I bought.  DPMS's are sweet and I will buy more in the future as well as hold on to the ones I have won and will win off prize tables.

Heck, I've had great luck with off beat companies like Model 1.  I'm picking up one of their kits to do my first build with my government sponsored tour money.  

Hope to see y'all on the range.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I built my AR using a 16" bull barrel DPMS upper, purchased thru Brownells.  Put it on a Century lower, using Bushmaster internals........  runs like a champ.  Carried this rifle for a patrol rifle, been through several classes, and shot lots-o-rounds.   It continued to run, even dirty, when a Bushy stopped running due to the same dirt.  My bolt group is hard chromed, which I think is a great asset.  I like DPMS, and would buy another.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about we agree that sometimes parts just break.

Absolutely true. But you cant deny that some companies parts break less than others.

+1
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely true. But you cant deny that some companies parts break less than others.

SURE they can.  Because they have "insert brand here" and it has run fine for 2000 rounds.  

People tend to emotionally defend what *they* purchased for some reason.  The key is to try and be objective....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SURE they can.  Because they have "insert brand here" and it has run fine for 2000 rounds.  

People tend to emotionally defend what *they* purchased for some reason.  The key is to try and be objective....

It seems like if  "insert brand here" runs fine for 2000 rounds" it would be an endorsement of that brand even if there is an emotional attachment to it.  I become attached to anything that works well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It seems like if  "insert brand here" runs fine for 2000 rounds" it would be an endorsement of that brand even if there is an emotional attachment to it.  I become attached to anything that works well.

It isnt.  The sample size, and round count is WAY too small.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#48]
My sample size is the many hundreds, if not over a thousand, my round count is in the many 10s of thousands.  I am satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey if it's good enough for the Ted Nugent, must be ok..
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#50]
My .02$  I've had 3, 7.62 bolts break. I know they are not the same as the AR15, but Ive seen more DPMS 7.62 bolts break vs Colt 7.62 bolts. Just for this reason I will not buy another product from DPMS.  The Bolt/BCG are too important in a gun to go cheap on. Colt seems to have figured out the 7.62 bolt, why cant DPMS?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top