Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:17:42 PM EDT
What the deuce is the thing on the right side?  Just in front of the charging handle... the piece that protrudres outwards and back. WHAT THE DEUCE?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you freaking kidding me
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
lol...  What's that long tube on the end of my gun with the birdcage looking thing on it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It is a shell deflector, made so you don't get hot brass smacking into your face.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
it pumps oil into your gun...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is a shell deflector, made so you don't get hot brass smacking into your face.

I was thinking he was talking about the forward assist

Which part are you talking about?  The little hump (brass deflector) or the plunger looking think (forward assist)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought he was talking about the forward assist...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't give him too hard a time, people aren't born knowing all the parts of an AR, and not everybody learns the hard way in recruit training.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking he was talking about the forward assist

Which part are you talking about?  The little hump (brass deflector) or the plunger looking think (forward assist)

Oh, whoops
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Try reading some of the manuals.

Do a little more research before posting or these guys will rip you a new asshole!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#10]
OK.... I said I was a n00b.  I am not talking about the shell deflector. I guess I didn't specify better. And I have researched everywhere I can think of becaues I didn't want to post such a stupid question. But when you don't know the answer, what else is there to do? I'm sorry I wasn't born knowing everything like some of you.

To those who may try and help, I appreciate it.  I believe I am talking about the forward assist (plunger looking thing that I can push in about 1/2"). What does that do? Again, I know nothing about ARs. They don't have these things on normal rifles.

For the record, before posting this thread, I tried going to that exact page you linked. All of those .pdf's were broken links. I still can't see them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
It ASSISTS the bolt FORWARD.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

To those who may try and help, I appreciate it.  I believe I am talking about the forward assist (plunger looking thing that I can push in about 1/2"). What does that do? Again, I know nothing about ARs. They don't have these things on normal rifles.

The point of the forward assist is to be able to easily get the bolt into battery if it is not quite making it, due to excessive fouling, dirt, etc. (i.e. nasty/dirty battlefield conditions).  It can also be used to more silently ease the bolt into battery, rather than loudly letting it snap into place by releasing the charging handle.  The corresponding side of the bolt carrier has little notches that the forward assist can "catch" and help push it forward.

I don't know anyone who has ever used the forward assist.  Your AR needs to be exceptionally dirty to ever need it - however, it's there "just in case".  For range use, you'll likely never need it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point of the forward assist is to be able to easily get the bolt into battery if it is not quite making it, due to excessive fouling, dirt, etc. (i.e. nasty/dirty battlefield conditions).  It can also be used to more silently ease the bolt into battery, rather than loudly letting it snap into place by releasing the charging handle.  The corresponding side of the bolt carrier has little notches that the forward assist can "catch" and help push it forward.

I don't know anyone who has ever used the forward assist.  Your AR needs to be exceptionally dirty to ever need it - however, it's there "just in case".  For range use, you'll likely never need it.

Thank you very much. :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Since your question has been answered i'll just add a welcome to the site. Lots of good information around here. Some of the people may give you a hard time but don't let that discourage you from asking. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Since your question has been answered i'll just add a welcome to the site. Lots of good information around here. Some of the people may give you a hard time but don't let that discourage you from asking. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I'd like to second what B-O-A-T-S said, don't let anyone get you discouraged from asking a question anytime you need an answer and can't find it by searching just ask no matter what it is.  Welcome to the site!

Bill
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the welcome guys. Nobody will discourage me from asking a question. How else am I ever going to figure it out? 've been over at GlockTalk and the TNDeer forums for a long time, and know we all get tired of seeing dumb questions or the same questions asked over and over.  I always try to search for the answer first.. but I'm not always smart enough to find it. :)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
it pumps oil into your gun...hr

Where do I refill the oil?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
WHAT THE DEUCE? {stewie} all noobs are welcome here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]
The foward assist is basically so you can help the bolt lock shut when it doesn't fully go into battery. Sometimes dirt or debrit get in there and clog them a bit so a few nudges is needed to get them back in line. Does that answer your question?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top