Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 10:37:43 PM EDT
I have been thinking about a single point sling for a while now. I don't really need a full tac sling just something to use when I need to use my hands for a second or two and don't want to set down the rifle. I like the regular sling I have but padding would be nice.

However I don't want to take off the buffer tube to install an adapter, from what I can tell there are several companies making bolt on adapters now. So apparently I' m not the only one who wants one. From your experience which is the better mol and manufacturer?

Or should I just go with an improved IFD sling?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Tango Down makes the PR-4 which goes for around $65 and Troy Ind.'s CQB sling looks like its padded from the pics I've seen. Never seen one up close and personal though. I was surfing through ADCO's site and noticed that they have both of these things. I think that GG&G makes a bolt-on single point mount as well.

I went with the GG&G single-point receiver plate adapter (which is cake to install) and a Frankensling from Practical Tactical. Works well for me.

ETA- GG&G's bolt-on is called the Agency Rear Sling Adapter.$31.50 on their site.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
mr10, gg&g makes one that would work for you. i'm under the impression that you are also LE so i will relay my experience. first i went with a three point sling. i found it too dificult to climb into when i'm running from my trunk where we have to keep them, it's all about simplicity under stress. also, i found one of the straps got in the way of my weapon manipulations. then i tried a single point sling with a mount similar to the one your looking for. mine actually replaced the reciever plate. i quickly found that, while simple, it WILL smack you in the junk if you aren't careful. it also will put your muzzle directly into the dirt when you bend down and is a major PITA when you're detaining someone. also, the sling loop got in the way of my charging handle and, after a day of rifle class, i had an open gash alongside my left palm from it.

ultimately, i went to a two point sling which i made from an eagle three point sling bought from bushmaster. at each end i attached 1/8" bungee to allow me to quickly get more room to fit over my gear and across my body. i usually carry it across my chest with the sling running over my right shoulder, across my back and under my left arm. however, i can also carry it slung normally or even scramble carry across my back. also, i can still wrap my left arm in the sling when firing for extra stability if i need it. best of all, it's simple.

i know it's your rifle and you will have to find what you like, i'm just trying to save you some time, frustration and, in my case, even pain!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been thinking about a single point sling for a while now.

if you have to let go of the weapon and it drops, it will swing right to your nutts everytime
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you have to let go of the weapon and it drops, it will swing right to your nutts everytime

I have heard that and its true it can swing that way, but there is a right way/wrong way of carrying the sling to prevent it.

I still think single-points are best for 3-gunners, door-kickers, and professional tough guys.

Even when carried correctly it is not the most comfortable sling.

Now if there were one that hooked and balanced from the center of the firearm.........that would be a hit. (and not in the nuts)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must be doing it wrong then, 'cause it's never happened to me.  Not even when running a FAL carbine on a single point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tango Down makes the PR-4 which goes for around $65 and Troy Ind.'s CQB sling looks like its padded from the pics I've seen.

I think the problem with this combo is the interface.
Look at the clip used on the troy here.  The TD unit has an Uncle Mike's style QD that you can see here.

I currently run a Troy sling, and want to use the TD sling mount, but don't really see a way to make them compatible.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran a GG&G Agency adapter through a Pat Rogers course last summer. I wasn’t satisfied by its performance. It wasn’t secure enough and seemed to work itself back from the receiver. I used it on a milspec receiver extension (CMT). It might work better on a non-milspec extension, which are larger in diameter.

I want to go to a quick detach setup and have looked at the PR-4 and the DD mount. The problem that I see with them is that the tear-drop shaped plate that butts up to the receiver (what ever it’s called) has to have the dimple/stamped depression for them to work. A couple of mine aren’t that way, so it limits their usefulness to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I've also been wanting to try a single point set up, but I don't want to remove the buttstock to install a single point plate until I'm sure I'll like the single arrangement. So I've been looking for a "bolt-on" type of attachment point...problem is that all the bolt-ons are too wide...you lose the ability to lock into the totally closed position on your collapsible stock. If anybody knows of a bolt on type which has solved this problem, I'd like to know about it. I'll buy one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#9]
As faethor mentioned, they can be a bit of a pain when you transition down from the carbine, it will whack you in the jewels if you have to run and do anything else but hold onto the rifle, also you do stick the muzzle in the ground a lot when you do go to the ground with someone... Just recently in the training house I saw a guy nearly KO himself during a takedown when the muzzle stuck in the pads next to his knee and drove the butt of his rifle into his jaw -- ouch!

Do not make one that hangs the rifle at the center of balance, seen that also and well, imagine running through a house after someone with a rifle hung horizontal at your waist.

I use an old school "ring thing sling" for a single point, mostly out of habit I guess, but I let mine fall to the weak side and it seems to be much better, slower to get back to, but it is just how I roll I guess -- I never have understood the guys that hook the rifle behind their pistol, may look cool on the range, but now your reaction time with both weapons is slower?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard that and its true it can swing that way, but there is a right way/wrong way of carrying the sling to prevent it.

I still think single-points are best for 3-gunners, door-kickers, and professional tough guys.

Even when carried correctly it is not the most comfortable sling.

Now if there were one that hooked and balanced from the center of the firearm.........that would be a hit. (and not in the nuts)

single points are good for SHORT firearms. If I used a single point with my 24" AR-15, it'd either hit me in the nuts or the muzzle would slam into the dirt each time I dropped it.

However, a single point sling with a 20" OAL P90 or a FS2000 is probably the best way to go. You drop it and it sits parallel to your chest and you can drop into a tank hatch or climb into the cockpit of an airplane quickly, or go into a crowded doorway like in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the GG&G Agency adaptors and Profile Tactical single point slings on both of my M4s. I am very pleased.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
mr10, gg&g makes one that would work for you. I'm under the impression that you are also LE so i will relay my experience. Yes I am Actually a ULEO to be specific, but I don't get to carry my rifle at my full time department, we are limited to our pistols/shotgun only our SRT team is authorized to carry rifles, I'm hopign that will change soon.  

ultimately, i went to a two point sling After reading the your comments along with the others it seems that a two point sling is my best bet, as I stated in the original post I like my regular sling, other than it's a bit too short and a bit too thin.

i know it's your rifle and you will have to find what you like, I'm just trying to save you some time, frustration and, in my case, even pain!

I agree to each is own, but sometimes the similarities between experiences runs true. I think I'm going to order the improved IDF sling. It actually sounds very similar to what you described making on your own. Thanks for everyone's help and input. Now if anyone have something to add about the IFD slings I'm all ears.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#13]
www.Taticallink.com has one  or the one from tango down are great bolt on ones
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I ran a GG&G Agency adapter through a Pat Rogers course last summer. I wasn’t satisfied by its performance. It wasn’t secure enough and seemed to work itself back from the receiver. I used it on a milspec receiver extension (CMT). It might work better on a non-milspec extension, which are larger in diameter.

I want to go to a quick detach setup and have looked at the PR-4 and the DD mount. The problem that I see with them is that the tear-drop shaped plate that butts up to the receiver (what ever it’s called) has to have the dimple/stamped depression for them to work. A couple of mine aren’t that way, so it limits their usefulness to me.

The PR4 does not require the depression in the end plate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tango Down makes the PR-4 which goes for around $65 and Troy Ind.'s CQB sling looks like its padded from the pics I've seen.

I think the problem with this combo is the interface.
Look at the clip used on the troy here.  The TD unit has an Uncle Mike's style QD that you can see here.

I currently run a Troy sling, and want to use the TD sling mount, but don't really see a way to make them compatible.

MSTN is, or was, selling an adaptor that allowed the use of the HK style hook on a regular QD style mount. I think they were made by KAC. With that you could use your Troy sling with the DD or the TD or whatever.

Blue Force Gear sells a two point with a HK hook on each end, and there is a rail mount for the front end that will take the HK hook also.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MSTN is, or was, selling an adaptor that allowed the use of the HK style hook on a regular QD style mount. I think they were made by KAC. With that you could use your Troy sling with the DD or the TD or whatever.

I'd very much like to see one of those.  I didn't see anything on their website.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd very much like to see one of those.  I didn't see anything on their website.

He had them posted in the EE for a while. Shoot him an email.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top