Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 9:43:42 PM EDT
How hard is it to remove the Bushy AK brake?

EDIT TO ASK:

Also, are there threads under there?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there are threads. (after reading again some say slipped on and pinned, so I do not know for sure)

There are also pins. I saw this same thread posted a long while back and I believe the conclusion was that it is a pain in the ass to do, and best left to either serious types or professionals

But I will see if I can find that "How-to" in the archive for you

edit to add:
From archives

Another

d here (may be the same one. there were about 10 of them and most say the same things.

ADCO (board sponsor found in the industry section) can do it for a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC comes off same as the mini-comp brake which is documented here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782, (see bottom of post)

BTW, this tacked to the top of the Build It Yourself forum......

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
iirc there are threads under the brake and there is a pin through it. look for discolored section of the brake and cut at it, the pin should be completely removed before attempting removal of brake.

also make sure that its a legal 16" bbl. to start with and that the brake is not what brings it to legal length cause then you will have to find a flash hider that does the same and have it permanently attatched.

+1 for going to adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
not pinned, just soldered on...look for the holes at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and dremel the brake down until you just barely start to see the threads. remove brake. the HBAR barrels are threaded under the brake.
I just did one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
not pinned, just soldered on...look for the holes at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and dremel the brake down until you just barely start to see the threads. remove brake. the HBAR barrels are threaded under the brake.
I just did one.

would those be holes where the pins are? soldering is usually on the threads not in a hole.

when i did mine, grinding the pins would make it seem as though it was "filled into" the hole but its the grinding that causes the pin and brake to seam together. same as the front sight base pins
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I removed the AK brake on my bushy.

It was pinned and welded. The welds were ground flush w/the brake and phosphate (?) coated over. Under bright light I could see them. They were located at the 3 & 9 "o" clock positions.

It is fairly easy to remove. Grind away at area of the pins slowly. Take your time. Once you get to the threads, tap the brake w/a mallet (helps to jar things loose a bit) and just unscrew the brake.

Not much to it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!

I did not see it in the BIY thread, doh. Should've looked harder.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I have pre Y2k Bushmaster 16" HBAR with a factory AK74 brake.  So you are basically saying its really a threaded barrel with a welded pin which can be removed to install a A2 flash suppressor?

Just called BM, and they said 16"s are non threaded and 14.5"s are threaded and welded.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an AK brake on a bushie from 99-00 time frame.  It was secured with a pin.   I grinded it down and split the brake to remove it.  There were not any threads under the brake.  I had to get the barrel turned and threaded.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats exactly what BM told me this morning, just remove the brake and have a smith thread the barrel and that would be the best route to go to get back to Free Ban status.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top