Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:52:45 PM EDT
My first post here, looks like a great forum.  I've been interested in these rifles for quite some time and loooked around quite a bit.  I have a few questsions of selecting a carbine.

I think I've decided on a Bushmaster Carbine.  I most likely won't be purchasing for ahwhile but still trying to get opinions at this point.  When I buy I will most likely purchase two, or purchase one shortly after the other.

There are currently four different models I'm looking at.  They are as follows: M4 Type Carbine, M4 Type Patrolman's Carbine, 16" Barreled Carbine, and SuperLight Carbine.

I guess being somewhat new at this I'm having a tough time determining the differences between the above four carbines.  Is it strictly the difference in the barrels or are there other features that are different between the four.  As far as I can tell it's strictly the barrels but as I said I'm new to this.  

From what I hear the SuperLights are nice.  I'm also looking at something that does have a threaded muzzle if that is possible.

Just looking for any opinions on any of the above.  Thank you. Adam
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
there are descriptions at bushmaster's website.

usually the difference is bbl. profile in which you described m4 profile, m4 profile, straight bbl. profile and lightweight pencil profile.

there are differences in the length in the first two if im not mistaken one being 14.5" with perm attatched fh to bring to legal lengths and the other being 16" w/ removalable fh.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]
i had the same decision to make when i was ready for my first AR.  the final choice came down to a carbon 15 and an m4a2.  i went with the m4gery and never looked back.  

my advice is to get the one you like best.  take a look at each one, and go with the one that just feels right.  by doing so, you'll be happy with what you got and you'll have made a choice that you won't regret later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought Bushmaster Superlight Carbine about a year ago. It's a fantastic carbine; very light (approx. 6.25 lbs. unloaded) and it's accurate.  It seems to like my handloaded Sierra 69gr HPBT the best.  It has reliably cycled everything I've put into it.
I would recommend it over the M4 style barrels; why buy a 16" barrel with 14.5" ballistics?  I've never understood this concept.  I guess it's the look of the thing;....whatever.
Mine is an A2.  I decided against the A3 because the A2 is more snag free and perhaps a tad lighter.  The A2 style is also easier to actually use as a carry handle (the A3 is narrower and harder to get your fingers into).  Also the A3 just tempts one to start loading the carbine with optics which IMO just start weighing the thing down and defeating the whole purpose in the first place.  The iron sights are fine for anything inside of 125 yards.  You want to shoot 200-600 yards?  Get a rifle.

Just as an interesting aside, I have a friend who is VERY old school.  His collection of bolt action battle rifles is extensive; not an AR in the bunch.  His military days go back to the mid sixties back when the M-16 was gaining a reputation for getting people killed in 'Nam (point being; he's not exactly an AR afficianado).  I showed him my Superlight and had a hard time getting it back out of his hands!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys, I'll give it some serious thought.  Thanks again.  Adam
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
welcome aboard Adam!

The Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine - in A3 configuration (with A2 flash hider) has gotten the better reviews here.

Many like the super-light barrels, but more choose the M4 profile.

6 vs. half-dozen

Resale (blasphemy) favors the M4 style barrel  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help and welcome.  I had been leading towards the M4 Type, but was curious if the only difference was the barrel.

You guys have given me plenty to think about.  Thanks again.  Adam
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If mounting a standard bayonet is an issue you will need the 14.5" barrel with Izzy flash hider.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top