Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:43 AM EDT
I want to do a spray on camo finish.  I wan't to do it myself and not send it off.  I have an airbrush etc.

My neighbor has done a ton of guns with Lauer Kote.  He is now switching to Gun Kote from Brownells as he feels it is more durable.

I have heard that Norrell's coating is awesome.  

So what is the best/most durable spray on finish that you can get in camo colors that is available?  Also, will this same finish work just as well on AR mags?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone out there has to have refinished an AR.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Norrell's a lot, but haven't done any camo guns.  I feel that Norrell's is probably the best out there and all of the people that I have done weapons for have loved them.  

The key to any refinish is the prep work.  If that sucks, your finish will suck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that Norrells is the best from a number of people.  Did you do your guns in black, or in a color? Pics?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought I already answered this question?  I guess not, take a look at the below link, it seems to help most people, or at least they don't complain to much about it.

Norrells AR15 Refinishing Guide

ETA- Did you post this question in another forum here?  I thought I had already gone over this with you, but it may have been someone with a similar user name.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have heard that Norrells is the best from a number of people.  Did you do your guns in black, or in a color? Pics?

Yes.

Before

After

PS- If you are doing a 1911, don't forget to put on the nice grip screws for your pictures....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my upper, lower, and carry handle refinished by Mac's Shootin Iron a couple years ago.  They have some type of new process now, but back then they used Gunkote only.  Have you ever seen parkerizing that was really thick?  That is about what it looked like.  If you could parkerize aluminum without the "sparkles", this is what it would look like.  Over time, it wears down to a smooth slick finish on the contact points.  Looked great on an AR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top