Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

New to this site and really enjoy what I have found here so far.
Right now I have a question for anyone who has an honest answer.  I am looking at installing a JP complete trigger set up on my AR( trigger, springs, hammer, and pins).  Can anyone tell me if they are worth the $?  I prefer a single stage trigger to a 2 stage trigger, but I have not herd or read a whole lot on JP either here on this site or others. Looking for good and bad opinions.

Thanks,

OneeyeND
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is worth the money and has stood up to 3 years of IPSC and plinking. It breaks at 2.75lbs. It was a bit of a headache to install but I did it so I am SURE you can do it.

Good luck
Bill
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey everyone,

New to this site and really enjoy what I have found here so far.
Right now I have a question for anyone who has an honest answer.  I am looking at installing a JP complete trigger set up on my AR( trigger, springs, hammer, and pins).  Can anyone tell me if they are worth the $?  I prefer a single stage trigger to a 2 stage trigger, but I have not herd or read a whole lot on JP either here on this site or others. Looking for good and bad opinions.

Thanks,

OneeyeND

I have the JP trigger. Its good, but IMO a little outdated. Ive tried newer trigger designs that I like better. I cant remember the trigger a friend put in his AR. But it was much smoother, and crisper than my JP.

Another flaw on the JP trigger is the spring tension. It came with a spring to make it about 2.5-3pounds pull, and another to make it approx 4.5-5 pound pull. With the 2.5-3 pound pull sometimes it doesnt have enough tension to fire a round, just wont pop the primer on some military ammo.

Still a great trigger, but IMO theres better out there now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty set on getting a JP trigger installed too.  In the future I plan to send the lower into JP and have them "expertly" install the trigger for $220.  Considering the kinda coin people lay down, you can't every go wrong with a smooth trigger.

Searching the forums I've found that the only complaint are the yellow springs.  They are "softer" than stiff USGI springs.  Some people complain they are too light and the hammer doesn't strike the firing pin hard enough.  Others have stated over 1000 rounds without any failure to fire.

I'm waiting till my SEBR arrives to try out the factory trigger.  If that thing turns out to be a 9 pound SLUG to pull, it's getting replaced fast.  Ever since I replaced the hammer on my 10/22 I can't bare to use the factory trigger anymore.  :P

I'm a fan of single stage too.  Original design calls for single, I'm going with single.  If I was some uber benchrest guru I'd be all over a 2-Stage but for Tactical applications, let's rip.  I've heard a JP trigger is the next best thing to FULL AUTO.

The Chip McCormick is another one I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got JP triggers in seven ARs and love 'em.  On duty rifles I use a mil-spec hammer spring and JP trigger spring.  I use both yellow springs on my plinkers.  The JP instructions tell and show how to bob the hammer if you experience light strikes.  MSRP for the trigger kit is around $120.  Save yourself $100 and shipping by installing it yourself.  It's easy, just follow the instructions exactly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input.  Greatly appreciated!!  I guess I should have stated my main focus for the rifle.... VARMINTS.  Large coyote problem back in my home town and farmer/ranchers are looking to reduce the population. heThe trigger I have on my Bushy now is TERRIBLE!!  Creep, and an extremely high trigger pull.
Once again thanks to all who replied.
Keep them coming if you wish, always take more replies and first hand experience.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I've run a JP in one of my AR's for about 6 years and have had no problems with it.  Breaks at about 2.7-3lbs on scale.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top