Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2005 8:44:16 AM EDT
last nite i went to walmart to check out the prices on their .223 ammunition, since i hear alot of people use it for plinking ammo. usually, the people there are helpful, but EVERY time i have gone into the sporting good section they have this attitude like i am a terrorist because i have an interest in shooting. i asked politely if i could see the prices and type of .223 ammuntion they carry, and the guy looks me over and had this face on like he didnt want to help me. i tried to be nice but he was just being a jerk. this isnt the first time either, when i had gone there before to pick up some paintballs and paint grenades, the guy there had the same attitude like i was going to go use it vandalize something instead of actually playing a game. anyone else had similiar experiences? maybe its just my local wallymart.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Most wallyworld people are dicks. That's why there's a huge sporting goods store blatantly called "DICK'S". Because it's what they are.

I don't buy ammo, or hardly anything from walmarts anymore simply because:

A. They're usually shit (Especially on weapons or weapon accessories).
B. They usually have shitty attitudes.
C. I can buy better stuff at a cheaper price at my local FFL dealer.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
last nite i went to walmart to check out the prices on their .223 ammunition, since i hear alot of people use it for plinking ammo. usually, the people there are helpful, but EVERY time i have gone into the sporting good section they have this attitude like i am a terrorist because i have an interest in shooting. i asked politely if i could see the prices and type of .223 ammuntion they carry, and the guy looks me over and had this face on like he didnt want to help me. i tried to be nice but he was just being a jerk. this isnt the first time either, when i had gone there before to pick up some paintballs and paint grenades, the guy there had the same attitude like i was going to go use it vandalize something instead of actually playing a game. anyone else had similiar experiences? maybe its just my local wallymart.

they work at Walmart, a company that doesn't give a shit about them, and will kick them to the curb the minute they ask for any worker's rights.  i'd be in a bad mood too.  just ignore them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Gander Mountain sells Break-Down manuals for AR-15's as well as AK's... So I would "hope" they would sell .223 ammunition.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't shop at walmart, I go to Academy.  They always seem to be friendly and have what I need.

Brian
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't have a problem here with Wal-mart...I buy a ton of plinking ammo from them.

They have never once given me any grief over a bulk ammo buy..
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Our newer Wal-Fart has quit selling firearms.
When asked, the reply was "they weren't moving".
My thought was who wants to buy a weapon from a jerk that's hardly there anyway?
Gander Mountain has been selling 250 packs of UMC pistol, I didn't notice if there was any .223.

They do sell it, but for some reason I only saw higher quality ammo, not the nice cheap white box from Wally World.  Its possible I just missed it.  At the time, I wasnt Looking for .223 so thats probably why.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Last time I went to WalMart and the guy asked to see my drivers liscense, he said "Oh yeah I remember that picture, how's it going man?"

No problems here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
The older guy behind the counter at our Wal-Mart always wants to talk guns when I show up to buy ammo.  Very friendly guy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in the days when WalMart sold pistols, I overheard a young clerk advise a customer how simple it would be to convert a Tec-9 to full auto.  I dont know if the kid was trying to clinch the sale, or talking shit, or was serious about illegal conversions.  Didn't matter to me.  I found the Sporting Goods Manager and complained.  Never saw the kid again.  

Did I get him fired?  Dont know, dont care, but its shitbirds like him that fuel the "anti's".  He cant cause us any harm at McDonalds.  

I have never had a problem with ammo purchases, or anything firearms related, but twice my wife has gone to get plinkin ammo for me, and twice the jackass has sold her the most expensive stuff on the shelf.  I wanted a box of .38 special, she got sold 20 rounds of Hydrashok, wanted some cheap 230gr. .45, they sold her a box of 200gr. TMJ match.  

She has gotten smarter, as have I.  Some stores and staff are ok, but you always run the risk of having some ass behind the counter who worked in womens shoes the week before.  

As long as they have cheap ammo, Ill keep buying.  I mean, two minutes of happiness on the range, the jerk is not even a memory.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The older guy behind the counter at our Wal-Mart always wants to talk guns when I show up to buy ammo.  Very friendly guy.

the walmarts around here are like that too. there are quite a few walmarts in my area and every sporting goods worker is real gun nuts, theres even one with a lady thats into guns.

the only grief i get is why i dont reload.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... and the guy looks me over and had this face on like he didnt want to help me.

Maybe because you look like this...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The two guys that work in sporting goods here are hunters and shooters,so we get along just fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Gander Mountain sells Break-Down manuals for AR-15's as well as AK's... So I would "hope" they would sell .223 ammunition.

Yeah, but GM's prices are a rip-off and their people are pretty snobby and uneducated for the most part.  Their Q3131 is $5.49/box.  Their AE 223 is $6.49/box
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
they work at Walmart, a company that doesn't give a shit about them, and will kick them to the curb the minute they ask for any worker's rights.

They can always quit and go work somewhere else, somewhere with more "worker's rights."
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Gander sells a ton of .223 ammo, both cheap range ammo, TAP ammo, and other higher quality brands.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have never had a problem buying ammo or firearms from our Walmart here in northern Va. In fact they sell so much target shotgun ammo around here its simply out sitting on the general merchandise shelves. You can just pick it up and walk down to the general checkout area.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
At some walmarts i get treated the same way there is one close to me that i get treated very good with no problems but its soon going to be gone there building another superwalmart in its place. So i got a idea   lol   hope this dont offend anyone   but    "wouldnt it be a kicker if walmart enployees would go UNION"?  first of all they would all not just a few get benefits better pay and equal rights.  Yeah    I am a union worker and proud of it.   I know its not good for all but in walmarts case it would be good.  I to like Dicks for ammo and local FFL dealers i like supporting my local dealers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
My local Wal-Mart (Vancouver, WA) sporting goods section never has anyone working it.  So you stand there for like an hour waiting for someone to come along, just so they can get the person that works sporting goods.   Then that takes usually another 10-15 minutes from the time they call them to get to the counter, plus they are rude.  I gave up there.  I now go accross the river to the one in Gresham, OR because one they usually have someone standing at the sporting goods counter or close by and two I do not have to pay tax.  Plus I make a trip to the gun store up the road.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
No problems for me when I go to Wal-Mart for ammo.

The one guy that is usually at the counter is a Guard guy, too.  So that helps some.  He was there for my last three ammo buys, including the PROJECT MAYHEM.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#21]
no problems here

maybe you got one of those "kent university" anti-violence type workers
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
the guy looks to be a hunter/shooter, hes always wearing shooting glasses and a hunter type vest, maybe because im younger he thinks im going to go kill someone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My only real complaint with them is, they never have enough ammo. I buy WWB but they never seem to have more than one box on hand. I have asked them several times if they could stock more of it but it's like talking to the wall.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they work at Walmart, a company that doesn't give a shit about them, and will kick them to the curb the minute they ask for any worker's rights.

They can always quit and go work somewhere else, somewhere with more "worker's rights."

Chances are, they can't, otherwise they would.  Thats how life is as a poor, uneducated, and usually unattractive individual who came from a crap family in a crap neighborhood.  There's no use painting any sad pictures--as everyone can see them for themselves--but seriously, what does anyone expect?  What did you think happened to all of those kids who failed out of middle school?

This what happens when parents too screwed up by their own childhood raise children whose teachers 'give up' on them.  Until something changes, I suppose we can expect to see the same unhappy people working at X-mart generation after generation.

As a practical matter, Walmart is a great place to quickly get stuff when you know exactly what you need.  It's terrible if you actually need any advice on your purchase.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Just tell him your internet alias is "NapeStickstoKids".

The only time I've gotten attitude was from some guy that I've never seen at the sporting counter, who was apparently just filling in as he had no clue what he was doing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Wally-World stopped selling Ammo and Firearms after the hurricane, and as far as I know they are still not selling them.   Firears are locked up, but the ammo sits there in plain sight.  I asked for some 17HMR and I got "we are not selling guns and ammo"  I asked when will they start again, and they said they don't know.

It boggles me, since all the SHTF stuff is over!!!

Well I had to travel 6 more miles to get my 17HMR.

They were nice to me, but it was a pain in the ass because Wally-World is always packed and you have to walk a mile just to get in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Our Wally World has an older guy who is two IQ points dumber than my dog who works the counter.  

OBTW, I think union activity should be considered criminal activity.  Legalized extortion.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought 1 single box of slugs at my Wal-Mart about 2 weeks ago, I get to the checkout and the fat ass bitch/sheeple working it asks me "what are you going to shoot?", I say "oh, umm, I don't know. Nothing?" (I was buying a shit load of other non firearms related stuff) she picks up the box and reads it aloud, then asks me again "what are you going to shoot with the shotgun slugs?", I said "ahhhhhh, targets I guess?". Then she went ahead and rang up everything, I paid and left. Honestly, it was a very disturbing expieriance.

I was at the gun counter once looking over the counter straining to read the ammo boxs, there were 2 dumb fuck cunts (wal mart sporting goods department empoys, brown vested) standing there shoot'n the shit about some un work related thing, then 1 walks away and the other walks over and had to squease by me, I made eye contact with her and was just like "excuse me", as she went by and hurried away. I shouldn't have to stop her and tell her I need help.

In oregon we have an outfit called Bi-Mart, they are way cheaper on everything, so I avoid wally world like the plague. I go to Bi-Mart some times twice a day, I go to Wal-Mart MAYBE once a month. My parents go there for cat food 'cause it is the one and only thing they sell cheaper than Bi-Mart.

I have noticed the quality of employs at Wal-mart is differant, they all look very "sheeple-ish", with a brain dead deer in the head lights look on there face. I have NEVER had a conversation with any employ at Wal-Mart. I have had numerios conversations with Bi-Mart employs and flirted with many checkers there.

I noticed it one time when I went to Wal-mart with my mother to buy cat food, she wrote out a check for over $100, wich meens the checker must turn on the blinky light and wait for the manager to come approve it. Well she turned on the light and just stood there stareing off into space, no talking or anything, after about 5 minutes I was like "what are we doing?", the fat ass manager was just over at the customer service desk BSing with the bitch over there, finally after about 10 minutes she sonters her fat ass over, checks I.D. and approves it. I call wal-mart employs "mindless drones", they are totally helpless without an authgority figure to lead the way.

Remember kiddys, Hitlery Clintoon was Wal-marts lawyer when they lived in Arkansas. I believe they still have connections, ever notice how big Wal-mart got as soon as Clintoon got in office?

Another thing, I once applied for a job at Wal-mart, after I made it to the interview, the interviewer gave me a sheet to fill out, it asked all sorts of questions about wether I was a fellon, a fellon who live in poverty, a fellon with kids, ect, ect, ect The interviewer told me that Wal-mart gets tax credits for hireing convicted fellons! This really pissed me off, because I was a veteran who had JUST GOTTEN OUT OF THE MILITARY and here I find out a convicted fellon gets more preferance points than me. I was offered the job, but I declined it. I couldn't work for the minumum wage they offered me. They refuse to discuss pay untill they offer you a job, not even a min./max.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Go back and politely ask to talk to the same guy.  When he appears, ear clap him, knee him in the balls and tell him how much you appreciate his highly valued opinion and remind him when the next time you need some advice you'll walk over to the paint department and find the old guy in a flannel shirt working there that's got more weapon training and knowledge than that douche bag behind the firearm section will ever have.  

If you have any problems after that, I'd recommend talking to a manager.  We're rollin back prices!h.gif
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Every time I am in there the same old guy tells me the same story about how he caped a cyote with a 22 at 100 yards.  Same story every time, he is cool, I like my Wal Mart.  Down side they dont have the 55grain WWB only the 45 grain varmit crap.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:18:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

same here............. +2
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Went to walmart yesterday overheard a man asking about what shotgun shells he needed,the friendly clerk said"I dont hunt i dont shoot dont ask me,i just work at walmart".
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I never had that kind of problem at Wal-Mart, but then again, I live in Texas, where most people generally have a little bit more reasonable attitude about firearms and ammo than in an eastern state like Ohio.  They don't even give me trouble around here when I buy several hundred rounds at a time.  When I lived up north buying that much ammo at a time would sometimes give raised eyebrow looks at the big sporting goods places...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:OBTW, I think union activity should be considered criminal activity.  Legalized extortion.  

But when you work for an owner that sticks it up your ass and breaks off the end, that isn't????  billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My only real complaint with them is, they never have enough ammo. I buy WWB but they never seem to have more than one box on hand. I have asked them several times if they could stock more of it but it's like talking to the wall.

They don't stock enough around here either.  They usually have 5 or six boxes on hand around here, but I usually buy at least that much at a time.  Sometimes they have more in the safe in the back room, but its sometimes hard to find someone who has the key and knows where it is and will go get it for you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I had two seperate problems at wal mart. First time I go in I ask the ladt behind the counter if I can purchase two boxes of 45ACP. She ask to see my FOID because I live in the sh*tty state of Illinois. I show her my card and she asks me what I am going to be shooting. It really is none of her business but I tell her that I am a police officer and are department is going to have a range qualification and I didnt get a chance to order any ammo through the P.D. so I hade to get some here. She tells me no cop carries a gun chambered in 45ACP and she tried to take the ammo back. I told her I wanted the ammo or I wanted to speak to a manager. She stated arguing with me and the manager overheard it. I couldnt have been any luckier because it was a guy I went to school with and we used to shoot competion together. I told him the problem and he chewed her ass. she apologized and went on her way, and I got my ammo.

The other time I was at the Springfield Wal Mart and I was buying some 9MM white Box and some 12 Gauge for trap. I pay for the ammo at the sporting goods counter and get ready to walk away, the retard behind the counter tells me he has to walk me out to the front door because I bought pistol ammo. I ask him why he says it is the law in Illinois. I say oh really well the compiled statues doesnt have a law anywhere in it that says that. he knew right then I was a cop. I said how many people have you been doing this to. he said well it is store policy he is starting to back step on his words now. I said how is it I can buy a box of shotgun shells and walk out of here on my own but I cant buy a box of pistol rounds and walk out of here. He said well people my have a concealed weapon on them and load the pistol and shoot somebody. At this point I asked to see a manager. The manager conmes over and speaks to me and he is some liberal puke. I ask the manager what the store policy is and he said they do have to escort you out if you by pistol ammo. He stated they shouldnt even sell ammo any way because all it does is cause crime or something to that nature. I told him if Illinois had concealed carry then we wouldnt havethat much crime. At this point I walked away but i learned a lesson. Don't buy ammo from Wal-Mart. I will pay the extra dollar at my local gunstore for ammo.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Illinois is BAD. Wal-Mart is WORSE! The 2 put together are UNTHINKABLE!  billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I guess I am lucky.  Old friend of mine is the Sporting Goods manager at our Wal-Mart so I get him to order various ammo for me.  I even advised him to order an extra butt load of the $7.73/40 rounds of Winchester and told him it would fly off the shelves...........he did, it did.  

Even the other Walmarts here don't bother you over ammo and such.  I do know buying a gun there you need a state Pitcure ID, but that is corporate.

The kicker here guys is I live in Rural Oklahoma and we all shoot something.  Most of us around here were shooting .410's or .22's by the time we were 10 years old so it isn't anything to buy and sell ammo.

Edited to say:  You guys are correct about a lot of WM employees not knowing anything about their department, it isn't just sporting goods, it is every where.  

Someone said a lady asked him what he was going to shoot with the slugs:  Haha here I would of told her and she would of said "Cool, Good Luck, and if you get a big one bring me a picture."  It is nice living "out in the country."

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#40]
My local Wally World will escort me to the door on the rare occasions I am there, and getting ammo. My Wife will pick up ammo for me when she is there, and she never gets escorted to the door after picking up ammo. Kind of strange.

At any rate, now I try and buy eclusively from "The Ammo Man" here and follow the 1000/500/1000 rule. Buy 1000, shoot 500, buy 1000 more, rinse and repeat. By doing that, I don't need too much ammo from Wally World these days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#41]
the walmart nearby where I live is terrible. No one in there wants to help. And I have actually gotten into a spat with the manager over ammo purcahsing laws. He said that I can only buy 5 boxes of ammo at a time because "its the law." I told him what I thought about him.

Now, the walmart that is about 15 miles north of me has the nicest people there and the older man who works in the ammo section is the nicest guy  and is always offering to help.

I think the people that have to work at wal-mart are the pissy ones and the ones that are retired and probably collecting social security and a pension are the ones that are pleasant. That is just thought though....
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I stopped last week and didn't recieve any guff. The nice old lady even went in the back and broke out another box when what was under the counter "wasn't enough".
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Never had a problem buying ammo at Wal-Mart. That would include the ones when I lived in Ca.

Same thing here in WA. Worst problem I ever had was the clerk pointing out the Stainless Ruger M77 in .270 with a laminated stock on clearance for $325.00.

Buying it PO'd the wife for a few days, so it has to be Wal-Marts fault.

I've also noticed that acting like an ass, usually ensures you're treated like one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wally-World stopped selling Ammo and Firearms after the hurricane, and as far as I know they are still not selling them.   Firears are locked up, but the ammo sits there in plain sight.  I asked for some 17HMR and I got "we are not selling guns and ammo"  I asked when will they start again, and they said they don't know.
They were nice to me, but it was a pain in the ass because Wally-World is always packed and you have to walk a mile just to get in.

Yep; but earlier in the week (BR area) they just started to put the ammo back in the sporting goods counters again.  Even in Cortana.  3 1/2 months jeesh.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Edwin247
I do not know what part of La you are from but the Wal-Marts in Gonzalas, Central, and New Roads are selling AMMO.
I am from the Zachary area, and live 10 mins from a WAl-Mart that does not sell AMMO & Guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Well I am in Harvey (Westbank of New Orleans).
I haven't been back to Wallyworld since, so I don't know if they started yet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish I saw that a$$ eatin' S.O.B. I'll kill'em in about 3 seconds.

Quoted:

Quoted:
... and the guy looks me over and had this face on like he didnt want to help me.

Maybe because you look like this...

www.fbi.gov/mostwant/topten/fugitives/laden.jpg

Rmpl

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#48]
If I need to purchase any ammo for any future "purchases" I'll steer clear of Wal-Mart.  I'll go out to Gander Mountain or some other local dealer.

I wonder if Bass Pro sells ammo, except the nearrest one is about an hour away.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I never had any problems at Wal-Mart. They have always been helpful.

Kmart is where Ive had problems. Last (and only) time I bought ammo from them I walked up to the counter and saw a box of Remington 223.

I asked "can I get a box of 223, 55 grain full metal jacket". The guy looked at me and said in a pissy tone "cheap or expensive". I said "223, full metal jacket please". The jackass then said "CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE".

I politely said "probably cheap, the 223 full metal jacket is usually cheaper than the hunting ammo".  He then turned around and picked up a box of Remington UMC, literally threw em on the counter". I said "forget it, I'll get em somewhere else" and walked out.

Wal-Mart has always been better stocked, better prices, more organized, and with much more professional employees than Kmart.  I guess thats why Wal-Mart is now the biggest retailer in the world, and Kmart has gone down the crapper.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top