Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 9:55:37 PM EDT
Tonight i took part in a late night AR build session.

Just like everytime before, I have yet to build a rifle without scratching something.

Yes, i know. They are just tools. And i veiw them this way.

However, after buiding a few uppers I have almost lost hope in completeing a rifle and it have that factory fresh look.

Tonight it was the little c-clamp on the hinge pin that I slipped and left a nice mark on the front of the upper.

Anyboday else as clumsy as myself?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
never.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've built two, scratched both. My worst was putting the trigger guard in backwards.  Now I can't get the fucking roll pin out!  It doesn't affect function, so it really doesn't matter, though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
eh, this was my first and so far only build.  no major scratches, however, putting the MI #17 handguards on resulted in me scratching the delta ring up a little bit... (no handguard removal tool), after some clp it's hardly noticable.

i used all kinds of crap to get the MI handguards on too, knives, sledgehammers, real hammers, etc...  just use a cloth or something to protect the gun on impact!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've scratched cars, knocked out flourescent lights, oversprayed Krylon onto floors/walls/driveways, smelled up a large kitchen at work with MolyResin, and last month shattered and sheared a tower right off of a Beta C-mag.   The more you build (and the more Stoli you drink), the more Mr.Murphy visits.    

I think I put a scratch too in Duffy's chin or elbow putting together a RAS-MRE...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been lucky not to scratch any of my firearms when working on them, but in armorer's class I forgot to install the handguard cap and had to pull the FSB again to install it. That's my confession...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Even with my smallest brass hammer I always leave some brass on the lower when puting in the bolt catch pin.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Even with my smallest brass hammer I always leave some brass on the lower when puting in the bolt catch pin.

I use visegrips with duct tape on the tips.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top