Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:46:31 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I just spent the money on a YHM Spectre FF tube.  I got it back and I hate it.  I had it installed and I do not like the weight of it on my carbine.  I'm not saying the it is poor quality, etc.  On the contrary it is rock solid...I just personally don't like it.  And because of this I don't think much of my carbine right now.  

With the fear of sounding like an idiot, is it complicated to take a free float tube off and reinstall the original parts?  What special tools, etc. would I need to do this?  I found out I like the look and feel of the more standard model better.  Take care, and thanks in advance.

Regards,
PatG.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That is normal!  That is how you will learn what works for you and what doesnt.

To remove a FF tube - you basically just do the reverse of installing it:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

remove muzzle device.  Remove FSB and gas tube.  Loosen locking ring.  Spin off tube.  Using YHM wrench or 3 point armorer/GI wrench - unscrew aluminum barrel nut.  Install standard Delta ring assembly, and standard barrel nut.  install gas tube, FSB, and muzzle device.

Cake.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That is why it is a good idea to go to public ranges where you will see all sorts of configurations. Ask the guy if you can try out his rig and see how you like it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is why it is a good idea to go to public ranges where you will see all sorts of configurations. Ask the guy if you can try out his rig and see how you like it.

Some times you just dont know, until you have a few thousand rounds down the tube.  Nothing like good ol experience to do the teaching.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy another AR in spite.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]
do you still have all the original parts?

handguard cap, fsb, fsb taper pins etc...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with my local range is that it isn't all that organized.  It just consists of a berm, plywood backstop, and a couple BBQ pits.  So there is not a lot of opportunity to try out other guys' ARs.  I just kinda have to fly by the seat of my pants.

I do still have all the original parts.  I had also thought about buying another AR out of spite!

Take care, guys!

Regards,
PatG.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Buy another AR in spite.

I bought a FAL to taunt it
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to hear that, I feel like my AR is lighter then it was stock now that I have MI #17, a TD VFG, and a pentagon light.

Maybe it's just my imagination but I feel no weight difference, and it's easier and seems to "weigh less" with a VFG.

Maybe try a VFG before you take it off?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a set of Colt Dual Shield M4 Handguards for it
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I got pissed at mine and sold it.  I do that with lots of things.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know how many builds I went through, until I found what is right for me.  I spent enough money on 2 ARs to buy 4!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Why did you get such a heavy unit?  You should have used the DD 7.0 rail and your weight would not have really changed at all.  Youd never notice the difference.  I suggest selling that thing and getting the right rail for you instead of abandoning the idea and funtionality of a rail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I did put a VFG on it.  It helped a little bit, but the carbine still felt very unbalanced.  I knew the YHM stuff was heavier, but I just didn't expect that much.  I've not disregarded the idea of rails.  I will be putting a railed foregrips on it...probably a set from MI.  

I guess I know now, huh?  Nothing like experience to teach you something.  Thanks for the help guys.  Have a good one.

Regards,
PatG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top