Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 3:11:55 PM EDT
Photos and story: www.odcmp.org/1205/default.asp?page=SDM

Photos include an Army AR15 DMR bought from Armalite by CMP, modified by USAMU, and used for training courses.  This is a civilian-available AR, NOT an M16A4.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That's hot!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
interesting !
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
interesting !

Yes it is.

I believe I had heard this before, and it does not surprise me.

I know some very good shooters who are not military, yet exactly the type to want to share fundamentals and the finer points of putting a round where you want one.

This is the epitome of making a civilian contribution.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]

The Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) is a soldier who is trained in advanced marksmanship techniques that make him capable of delivering hits on man-sized targets at ranges from 200 to 500 meters. This is a distance that is well beyond the capabilities of the typical infantryman.

ALL Marines HAVE to QUALIFY at 500 meters!  The army should teach all their soldiers to shoot better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) is a soldier who is trained in advanced marksmanship techniques that make him capable of delivering hits on man-sized targets at ranges from 200 to 500 meters. This is a distance that is well beyond the capabilities of the typical infantryman.

ALL Marines HAVE to QUALIFY at 500 meters!  The army should teach all their soldiers to shoot better.

everyone knows the Marines  kick ass when it comes to markmanship

But......is the average Marine infantryman more capable than an army SDM???
I wouldnt be suprised if skill-for-skill the Marines are all more than the SDM equivelent
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool.  I'm glad the military is using this untapped potential.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
This is good!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I  disagree with the  assertion that "yellow glass shooters" don't have something to contribute to the training of squad designated marksmen. The Marine Corps and Army field their own teams of "yellow glass shooters". These teams are called the Marine Corps Shooting team and the Army Marksmanship Unit. These teams participate in the training of marksmanship instructors in both of the aforementioned branches of service. Quite clearly the Marine Corps and Army recognize the value of "yellow glass shooters" in this effort. Qualified civilian "yellow glass shooters" are being used to supplement the training efforts of the marksmanship team members. Having personally participated in both Highpower rifle shooting ( High Master with a service rifle, Distinguished rifleman #1593) and IPSC / IDPA competition with pistol, shotgun and rifle, I can say with certainty that the skill set required for shooting at or beyond 300 yards is better taught by a "yellow glass shooter".
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]
No offense taken. I may be ignorant regarding the politics surrounding the train the trainer program, but the concept seems good to me. Having spoken with a current member of the 82nd airborne about  his marksmanship training ( and taking him to the range for some remedial training at my expense ) , it would seem that just about any quality range time would be helpful. He came away from the experience a much more proficient marksman.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You are correct about the need for close quarters combat training. No time to sling up and shoot sitting or prone in the vast majority of combat encounters.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have my own yellow glasses and can be found living in hut at Camp Perry throughout the summer for both ORPA and the national matches.   If you search for threads discussing high power shooting, you will see they almost all turn into pissing matches about gunfighting.  Very well respected people in the training arena  see the "Train the trainers" as nothing more than an attempt by the competition crowd to validate their existence.

So LTC Liwanag is trying to justify his existence?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a changing world. Every Soldier and Marine would benefit by additional training in basic marksmanship skills.  With the populated world we live in today, I do think more shooting practice should be done at close(50yds and under) ranges too.  Being able to take that long aimed shot at 300yds, and head shots at 7yds are skills that need to be honed, that arent even 2 sides of the same coin IMO.

Speaking only from my limited Marine Corps experience, some 20 years ago:
The skills we learned translated into some fantastic marksmanship.  
Using lightweight profile barrels, Non-free float, chrome lined, standard OEM iron sights, worn out barrels and bolts, standard 62gr ammo, and a loop sling deflecting the barrel as much as we could . . . .if you read this board long enough you would think no one could hit the broad side of a barn.  Those jarheads could hit the dick off a duck at 300-500m.  
But looking back, I felt we put too much training and emphasis on 300m to 500m.  Loop sling, sight picture, sight alignment, b-r-a-s-s, etc, are almost useless at the short distances most engagements take place.  I can't remember all the statistics, but for example if 70% of the gunfights happen under 75m, then I would have 70% of the training focus on the skills of those distances.
Again, I have been out a long time, so I am sure a lot has changed....

I understand the debate still rages.  From what I have read the Marine training makes a better “Marksman”  the Army “Pop-up” range prepares you to fight.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have my own yellow glasses and can be found living in hut at Camp Perry throughout the summer for both ORPA and the national matches.   If you search for threads discussing high power shooting, you will see they almost all turn into pissing matches about gunfighting.  Very well respected people in the training arena  see the "Train the trainers" as nothing more than an attempt by the competition crowd to validate their existence.

Those arent my words, they were taken from a reply in a thread I started in a different forum.  

Sonuva!

I'm a new shooter, pretty much. I met LTC Liwanag in the Armalite shop at commercial row at Perry this year ( 2005 ). I didn't know his name at the time, but I did shake his hand and chat for a bit.

Now I got myself thinking... Was he in the Armalite store to get the rifles for this program?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those arent my words, they were taken from a reply in a thread I started in a different forum.  

Color me slow but I can't tell if yer fer it or agin it?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Bigbore is all fer it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top