Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
I see people selling full on .22LR uppers for around 300-400 used.  Conversions howerver are roughly 140 brand new.  Whats the negative of goign with just the conversion kit?  

My main concern is if you fire a .22LR upper through a .223 chamber, is there damage that can occur to your barrel?  

Any comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad bought a Colt Conversion, basically a magazine and bolt assembly.  I think he paid $90.00 in the blister package.  We have had it in his Non-Colt AR and my SP1.  Haven't had a single problem.  My kids love it.  We just share it  and use it for cheap plinkin, and teachin the little ones. Wish we had a second mag, but that is the only gripe with several hundred rounds of .22LR downrange.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I think accuracy is the biggest thing.  I do not own a conversion or upper yet, but am looking into them.  the bore on a regular .223 barrel is slightly larger than what is optimal for the .22lr so you are not going to get the best accuracy.

Then there is the practice factor.  with a conversion you are just shooting your ar cheaply, but it is still your ar, vs a new upper that won't balance the same as your usual upper.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top