Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2005 4:10:37 AM EDT
Just got out to Camp Pendleton and will be deploying soon, found out yesterday I will be getting an M-4 instead of a M-16a4. Are they alot handier than the M-16a4?? I aint played with em before, last one I had was a M-16a2 back in 2001. What are the strengths and weaknesses VS the M-16A4/A2?? I will have an ACOG and PEQ-4 site on as well.

What is really bad is in the last 3 years I have played with AKs more than I have M-16s. I was at Ft Sill Ok teaching Artillery and we were not issued weapons, but in that time I built 4 AKs as well as buying all the MBRs from all the big countries of WW2. I have in the last 3 years probably fire more of my own ammo on my own time than I did my first 9 yrs in the fleet
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
 I'm with 10TH MTN DIV and we are issued M4s. I like them. They are easy to manuver and light as hell until you put all te crap on them. PAQ-4's are smaller than PEQ-2's and the ACOG's are great! Not as accurate as an M-16 but pretty close. I can regulary make hits out to 500 meters on a good day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Trust me you want the M4.  It is much handier for what you are going to do, I assume a MTT or SPTT.  About every Marine I know wants one because the A4 is too long(stock is way too long for combat shooting), too hard to get in and out of the vehicles and move through buildings with.

Since you have been out of the fleet for a while, you will have to get your PTP done.  Part of that is the EMP (now know as CMP).  It is pretty standard to teach Marines to forget most of the dogma the Corps taught them about shooting.  The course is there to teach gunfighting and the Marine Corps had an unhealthy obsession with rifle range shooting vice gunfighting.  

By the way, the M4 will be the standard issue weapon for all members of the GCE that use to be issued pistols.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
yea I'm part of a MITT team. I missed alot of the training to include mohave viper and the SOTG run ranges, so I am behind the power curve. I might try to go to the Oceanslime shooting academy and see if they have an Mforgery just to get a little trigger time in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Where you at the old tracks auditorium yesterday for the power point briefs on weapons?  If so they passed some bad info specifically on the RCOs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
yep was in there, what do you mean RCO's?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember the class they gave you on ACOGs?  Well they covered the TA31F vice the RCO you will get issued.  

There were a couple of small errors in the PPT, and the presentation doesn't cover the TRS the RCO has and the F doesn't.  The second thing is most personnel, armorers included, don't know the differences between the RCO types and will issue either with A4/M4 instead of the weapon specific versions.  It is only a couple of inches in real life, but they built and calibrated for either system.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top