Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:51:43 PM EDT
Is it common for a complete NIB AR-15 to have very slight abrasions or markings on the lower receiver?

Now I'm not talking about scratches that you can feel or discolored markings, but tiny hairline markings in several different areas that are quite noticeable if you look closely.  Obviously, this won't affect the function of the gun, but I'd like to hear if others have had similar experiences with their new ARs.

I've always read about Rock Rivers incredible "fit and finish", and I'm just trying to figure out if this finish is less than incredible, or if my idea of incredible is just unrealistic.

This is my first AR, so I'm full of nit-picky newbie questions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a weapon, not a finished piece of art.  

If you want a flawless weapon, have it custom finished, and lock it in a safe.  You weapon will never look this nice again, so don't get used to it.

Without pictures, I would guess you are unfamiliar with AR15s and just being unrealistic.  On a brighter note, once you go shoot it, it will still put a smile on your face!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing you need to do when you get a new rifle is throw it onto a gravel road. Once that is out of the way, its just a tool.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what I figured was the case.

I guess I'm spoiled by guns like my Glock.  I've been carrying it everyday for over a year and it still looks almost brand new.  Not a nick or scratch to be seen.

I'm still quite stoked to have my new AR.  Hopefully, I'll find some time to shoot it before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same experience when I received my first ARs (and they were NIB LEO6920s).  I was thinking to myself the same thing b/c I also have carried the same Glock for almost 15 years.  Wiped it down with a soft cloth moistened with CLP and the thing looked beautiful.  Do this after each and every time you take it out shooting (along with routine cleaning) and it will stay looking nice.  I know some people like the beat up look of a rifle, however I like to keep my rifle the same way you keep a nice sportscar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Well maybe you need to throw that Glock down on a gravel road, or maybe tie it to a rope and drag it down a paved road the next time your wife (I assume you have a lovie) needs some milk.

Thats what I do with all of my Craftsman tools. It beats the shit out of a circular saw but WTF, it's a tool. Belt sanders are a bitch BTW. God help the lathes and such, you really need a wecker for those sob's.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You are the weapon, your gun is just a tool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:21:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Same thing here when my Bushmaster M4 came in, it had some minor tool marks and some scratches but like said before, its not a presidential edition skeet shotgun intended to impress oil tycoons its an AR15, it’s a tool intended to be scratched and used, just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:50:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, as the picky bastard that I am, I'm slowly learning it doesn't take much to put a mark or light scratch on any part of the rifle. Seems like they appear from the rifle just sitting all alone by itself.hy.gif

I learn alot from the guys/gals on ARF and I can personally tell you that being too picky is not  a good thing.  Believe me, a so-called safe queen won't stay that way forever.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:59:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Rember it could be worse, My colt came with the FA housing shapped by a grinder  as well what looks like the guy ran the tool down the opposite side of the upper as well. there all under the finish.

It should bother you untill you add your own scratches. Your money your right to complain about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Small stuff is on e thing, but scratches thru to the bare metal is another

If the marred areas are in your view excessive, I would start with the dealer you bought it from, and then to the manufacturer.

If it is just contact stuff, I wouldn't sweat it.

I know its a tool and know finish nicks are commonplace on used guns, but for $1,000, more or less, I want the thing to look right.

RRA has a reputation for having a very nice finish. I think they use a slightly different process and it looks terrific.

Pix would help determine whether it was "normal" or "excessive" Got any?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Scratches on my NIB AR?

As redfisher said--Small stuff is on e thing, but scratches thru to the bare metal is another

No you should not except Scratches on your rifle just as I should not except scratches or dents on a New 4x4 truck.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
What brand is it? And model?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#14]
RRA, Elite CAR A4

I'll try to get some pix up tonight.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]
its just a tool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Same thing here when my Bushmaster M4 came in, it had some minor tool marks and some scratches but like said before, its not a presidential edition skeet shotgun intended to impress oil tycoons its an AR15, it’s a tool intended to be scratched and used, just my 2 cents.

And who helped you to learn this????
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=255473
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
If they are not to bare metal, try a little CLP on a black or dark colored rag and see if they go away.  I had a few like that on one of my RRA's, and this did the trick.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And who helped you to learn this????
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=255473

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:40:01 AM EDT
[#19]
i bought a colt 6450 and it has anodizing mising in some areas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If they are not to bare metal, try a little CLP on a black or dark colored rag and see if they go away.

Exactly, I seriously doubt doubt they are to the metal.  Scratches are usually something that was worn off on the anodizing, especially on a new weapon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll bet the CLP will do the trick.

If I was in the military and they issued me a gun, that would be a "tool."

When I go and buy a Remington M700 whatever, that is not a "tool."
I want that Remy to look great.

I don't know what you guys do, but me, I'm a IPSC/CMP/paper puncher.
I have owned AR rifles for many years (my first in '87) and have shot some for 6 or 7
years with 4 or 5 thousand rounds through them and they still looked pretty much
98%, but that's just me.

I expect a new rifle to look at least that good.
Thats what I expect for that kind of money. Hell I look over
the Craftsman tools. I want my money's worth.

Buy what you want and shoot whay you have.
Bill
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rember it could be worse, My colt came with the FA housing shapped by a grinder  as well what looks like the guy ran the tool down the opposite side of the upper as well. there all under the finish.

It should bother you untill you add your own scratches. Your money your right to complain about it. [/qu

Mine must have been built around the same time as yours. My NIB 6920 had the same "quality control" as yours. After bitching about it on the internet, I have put plenty of rounds downrange and love the rifle more than any other in my safe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Enough about scratches..these are tools,weapons meant to be carried and used hard.God are we buying furniture and apliances with the wife or are we men and some women..with guns.Im tired of the I have a scratch how can I block it out,is it normal.

I have had NIB weapons come with blemishes that I eventually cover up with use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Enough about scratches..these are tools,weapons meant to be carried and used hard.God are we buying furniture and apliances with the wife or are we men and some women..with guns.Im tired of the I have a scratch how can I block it out,is it normal.

I have had NIB weapons come with blemishes that I eventually cover up with use.

Good point but a car or truck is a tool also and be danged if I pay my hard earned money for a new one that has a scratch. If I wanted scratches then I'd just soon buy used.
I do agree with the other posters that if it's not down to bare metal then ...no biggie, CLP it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Your gun should not have a mark on it! You paid for a brand new gun, not a scratched up, used POS. This is the problem today, we accept what should be unacceptable. If YOU put scratches on it, thats one thing, but you shouldn't have to deal with it on a new in the box gun. I have guns that are 35 years old that I bought new and they don't have a scratch on them and have been fired plenty. Yes, a gun is a "tool" so to speak, but I don't throw my tools on the ground either. I would have them make it right. If you accept less it's up to you, but it doesn't take long for a manufacturer to develope a "give a shit attitude" in regards to what people will accept, if they accept most anything that runs. It's not like it's a $10 item.  billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Your gun should not have a mark on it!  

If you are buying a custom weapon, or paying extra as an upgrade for its looks, I can agree with you.  However, when you are buying a mass produced weapon, and NOT paying for any upgrade, its not the same thing.  You are buying a basic Bushmaster, RRA or Colt, and not for anything out of their custom shops.  You've got no expectation of a flawless finish.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I disagree. You should get what you pay for, not a thing less. I purchased 3 new Bushmasters in the last year. All arrived without any scratches, or "handleing marks" what so ever, as they should. If I buy a new Honda Civic, or a new Corvette costing over 3 times as much, neither one should have a scratch on it. A new gun is no different. billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Your gun should not have a mark on it! You paid for a brand new gun, not a scratched up, used POS. This is the problem today, we accept what should be unacceptable. If YOU put scratches on it, thats one thing, but you shouldn't have to deal with it on a new in the box gun. I have guns that are 35 years old that I bought new and they don't have a scratch on them and have been fired plenty. Yes, a gun is a "tool" so to speak, but I don't throw my tools on the ground either. I would have them make it right. If you accept less it's up to you, but it doesn't take long for a manufacturer to develope a "give a shit attitude" in regards to what people will accept, if they accept most anything that runs. It's not like it's a $10 item.  billt.

+1!!

There is a decent price gap between a used AR and a new one and if you spent the extra for a new one thats what you should get. If you buy a gun new in box and decide to resale it and have to describe it at 95% b/c of sratches it came with from the factory, thats not right
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I disagree. You should get what you pay for, not a thing less. I purchased 3 new Bushmasters in the last year. All arrived without any scratches, or "handleing marks" what so ever, as they should. If I buy a new Honda Civic, or a new Corvette costing over 3 times as much, neither one should have a scratch on it. A new gun is no different. billt.

Unless your new cars can shoot, its apples and oranges.  I agree that a new weapon shouldn't have gouges in it, but the little "scratches", which come off with CLP that people complain about is nothing more than people who are mising the boat.

People here cry about their weapons having marks on the brass deflector when they buy it..... This is the level of idiocy that some people have sunk to.

If a buyer is that concerned over the looks of their new weapon, they should be buying it from a store, and hand selecting which one they want.  Getting home and complaining is their fault as they are the ones who accepted and paid for it.  If you don't like what you are getting, don't buy it.  It really is that simple.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#30]
my gun had some weird scratches on around the rollmarkings...but like all the other guys. I really couldnt care less.

If someone ever says something about the little scratches it is because they are jealous and have gun envy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If a buyer is that concerned over the looks of their new weapon, they should be buying it from a store, and hand selecting which one they want.  Getting home and complaining is their fault as they are the ones who accepted and paid for it.  If you don't like what you are getting, don't buy it.  It really is that simple.  

There is the thought of the day for ALL you prospective NIB buyers looking to purchase.
When you take it from the B and inspect it look at Price,Fit,Function and the help on the other side of the counter.
If any are below your standards look elsewhere.
That would be the the time to be picky!
If you want a safe sweetheart keep looking until you find your cream puff and lock it up.
If you want a shooter then go buy what is available and if you find one with a scratch talk them down and enjoy your savings and SHOOT THAT WEAPON!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Who wrote the rule that a "shooter" has to look like crap???   billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#33]
If you use it it will show wear inside and out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If you use it it will show wear inside and out.

14 years old with over 100,000 miles each. My guns look the same, except some of them are much older.  billt.

Hell, she's 51. I like taking care of things! Wives too.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#35]
And not one perfect,i was a mechanic for 20 years,there always something even if it sits on blocks in a heated garage.
And the other,well I'm divorced and i WAS married to this PERFECT woman!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
And not one perfect,i was a mechanic for 20 years,there always something even if it sits on blocks in a heated garage.
And the other,well I'm divorced and i WAS married to this PERFECT woman!

I've been with her for 26 years. She's not going anywhere!  As for the cars, they'll be alright as long as no beaners hit 'em.    billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Good luck,lets talk about guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#38]
What do you mean by NIB anyhow?  was it ordered in special for you, or was it something on the dealer's shelf?  I have seen alot of guns that were being sold as "new" but were pretty shopworn and ugly.  

Did you inspect the gun before you picked it up?  

I would not worry too much about it myself, as none of my guns are beauty queens, but some people have a higher standard of how they want things to look and I respect that.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't worry about it unless the scratches are deep enough to go through to bare metal.  The finish on my Bushmaster gets marred pretty easily, but the light marks allways come off with a rub down with a little CLP and rag.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
First thing you need to do when you get a new rifle is throw it onto a gravel road. Once that is out of the way, its just a tool.

Perfect advice. The more scratches you get the less you care.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top