Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 8:48:55 PM EDT
Hi all,

About 2 1/2 weeks ago I purchased the Bushmaster M4A3 (XM15-E2S) and I noticed on the feed ramps, the bottom two, it looked like there were little spots of rust, or some type of copper colored substance on the two grooves...

As I tried to pry my eyes around more, it looked like the copper/rustic color was on the bottom tooth of the feedramp as well... Anyone know what it LOOKS like?

I apologize for the crappy pictures, I know they don't serve much of a purpose, but I don't know if it's just something that the manufacturer may have accidently dripped on it, or if it's rust, or if it's just some harmless preservative or something.

NOTE: This rifle has never been fired in my posession (yet) and I bought the rifle brand new in box.

Please help!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I get red X's... can't see your pics at all...

Have you tried cleaning it off with some clp. if it doesn't come clean and you think it's rust send the upper back to bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics should work now...

I got a bristle brush and tried scraping it off... most of it came off, but it still has a copper looking gleam to it.

I didn't get all of it, but most of it. I've oiled it down with "Shooters Choice Firearms Bore Cleaner".
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
too blurry to tell
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I know, I'm sorry the quality of the pics are crap :-(

I'm trying to use toe bore bristles to try to scrape some more of it off, and then I'm going to lube it up again.

All of the other grooves and teeth are very nice and perfectly black... Except for the two grooves at the bottom and the one bottom tooth.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NOTE: This rifle has never been fired in my posession (yet) and I bought the rifle brand new in box.

This rifle was test fired before it was shipped.  You may see copper marks in the chamber and brass the deflector.  

Relax Holmes.

Take your new toy out and shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This rifle was test fired before it was shipped.  You may see copper marks in the chamber and bras the deflector.  

Relax Holmes.

Roger that, but there's no blimishes on the brass deflector, but saw those copper looking marks on the grooves and that one tooth and it got me freaked... Thought my upper was defect.

Oh Imma take it out and enjoy it soon enough... As soon as I can afford some freakin ammo lol, i spent every last dime I had on this puppy, and if it IS rust, I'm going to have a misfire in my brain :-)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I've put 3k rounds through my rifle and I don't have any marks like that. I wouldn't leave the shooters choice in there to long it can damage the bore (it's a cleaner not an oil)... You can try using a copper solvent with a qtip and leave it on for 15 minutes... if it wipes off BLUE then it is copper; otherwise it is something else.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I ran the Q-tips through it with the bore cleaner on it...

Q-tip turned blue. YAY!

I've used Shooter's Choice for my other AR15 (my Colt), and I was told that it was sufficient. What's a good OIL for them?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This rifle was test fired before it was shipped.  You may see copper marks in the chamber and bras the deflector.  

Relax Holmes.

Roger that, but there's no blimishes on the brass deflector, but saw those copper looking marks on the grooves and that one tooth and it got me freaked... Thought my upper was defect.

Oh Imma take it out and enjoy it soon enough... As soon as I can afford some freakin ammo lol, i spent every last dime I had on this puppy, and if it IS rust, I'm going to have a misfire in my brain :-)

Ok try this.  Clean it.  Hoppes Copper Solvent.  It is alway wise to clean and lube a new gun before you shoot it anyway.  Can you afford a cleaning kit?

Please edit the title of this thread.  I'm not a Bushmaster Rep but I am a Bushmaster fan/owner.

RUST?

It's not rust.

Bushmaster does not ship rusty rifles. Both the Chamber and barrel of your rifle are chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]
YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A COLT!!! j/k

I know that my Glocks have always come from the factory with some copper colored type film/solvent/substance running along some of the inside components.  Is this the same thing we're talking about here?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I know that my Glocks have always come from the factory with some copper colored type film/solvent/substance running along some of the inside components.  Is this the same thing we're talking about here?

I already have a Colt :-P 20" 6700 :-)

Ok guys... I just hauled ass to go get some Rem Oil (Break Free) and I'm gonna lube all of my bangers up RIGHT now!

Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Inspite of the risk of hi-jacking this thread.

No, the copper colored gook in your glock is a lappiing compound that should not be removed by cleaning until the Glock in question has be properly broken in.  Read your owner manual.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inspite of the risk of hi-jacking this thread.

No, the copper colored gook in your glock is a lappiing compound that should not be removed by cleaning until the Glock in question has be properly broken in.  Read your owner manual.

Just to clarify by quoting the manual...

Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide.  

There is no mention of a break in period, but the recommended cleaning schedule is as follows...

Your GLOCK pistol should be field stripped, cleaned and lubricated as follows:

1. when brand new, before the first time it is fired, plus

2. at least once a month, plus

3. after each time it is fired, plus

4. as required.  This will be determined by the pistol's exposure to adverse conditions such as rain, snow, perspiration, salt water, dirt, dust, lint, etc.  Additionally, the pistol should be cleaned and inspected if it has been dropped or of any defects are suspected or malfunctions experienced.

So i guess you just leave the copper stuff on there and it will go away with regular cleaning.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
A chrome bore will never be completely clean.... You almost always will have a dirty patch even though you have cleaned the hell out of it, no matter what you use.. Boresnake it with some CLP and be done with it..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Relax Holmes.

Ok try this.  Clean it.  Hoppes Copper Solvent.  It is alway wise to clean and lube a new gun before you shoot it anyway.  Can you afford a cleaning kit?

Please edit the title of this thread.  I'm not a Bushmaster Rep but I am a Bushmaster fan/owner.

RUST?

It's not rust.

Bushmaster does not ship rusty rifles. Both the Chamber and barrel of your rifle are chrome lined.

But he is talking about the barrel extension... that is not chrome lined so it could be rust. Who cares if your a fan of bushmaster... does that mean no-one can ever have a problem with one unles you approve?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top