Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:24:05 PM EDT
Hey folks...  I'm a newbie to the AR15 world and I love my RRA.  I do have a question though.

If I were to put my RRA in a gun bag and leave it alone for 10 years should I have any issues with proper functioning when it take it out to use it?

What is the best method to keep one stored in my closet for an extended period of time?  (Thinking of future purchases here)  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I am by no means a firearms expert, but my guess is that you wouldn't have a problem.  Just looking at other quality firearms like the M1 Garand; sixty years later, many service rifles are still funtioning well with little work on them.  The AR-15 is made out of newer, stronger, more durable materials.  Also, as long as the barrel is chrome lined, and is kept in a dry area, I see little problem with rust or corrosion.  

I'd be interested to hear someone with more experience and knowledge respond on this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a new one

But to answer your question;  you shouldn't have a problem as long as it was stored properly,

i.e., lots of clp (or the like) in the weapon, and the bore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Stored properly - i.e. with a light coating of oil, and in a dry (no humitidy) environment, it will be fine - even for many decades.

If you truly want to STORE it for a long time, you might want to look at something like cosmoline (which is more like a presevative grease or something to that efffect) and store it in a dry air-tight container.  If you do that, it will last for a thousand years.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the above---no problem!  I'd suggest coating it in something like Sheath from Brichwood-Casey or RIG from Brownell's, then puttting it in one of those mylar long-term gun storage bags that Brownell's sells----throw some desiccant in with it----and seal it up with several 'runs' or loops of duct tape=Good for 50 years!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the quick replies guys!  Appreciate the advice.  Looks like I'll be able to keep one in the closet for about a decade and store one for many decades [
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Go here www.isayeret.com.See M16s that are  25 and 30 years old still in service with the israelis.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top