Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:44:51 PM EDT
I was at my local gun shop and saw a rather nice AR.  It is a dissipator model.  I have no opinion on this particular model of rifle, but was wondering what those who have or have had them think.

Greatly appreciate any and all input.

Lima
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
dissipator? I barely know her!

j/k

Some people seem to like them, and they give you a longer sight radius with a shorter package.

Personally I prefer the M4 style.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want the longer handguards and sight radius of a full-size rifle in a smaller carbine package, then the Dissipator will fit the bill.

SirDrinksAlot, 17 seconds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the dissy.  I like the look, and I like the features.

I have a DPMS dissy with a DPMS ventilated free float tube.  I had ADCO turn the barrel down to a lightweight profile.  It has a full length gas system.  I like this design because it has a 16" barrel and CAR stock: small package, and still has full length sight radius.  The only drawback is when the handguards get too hot to hold from firing 200 or so rounds....to be fair, I have a BM CAR, and its handguards get too hot to hold too.  I guess, I just shoot too much.  

If I could (read: had the $$$), I would buy a 20" govt profile barrel and cut it down to 16", WITHOUT a flash suppressor, then, overall length would be even shorter, and still legal.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So the dissipator style gas system actually smoothes up the functioning of the gun?  Or is it the same from shorter systems (i.e. carbines) to full sized systems?

Thanks,

Lima
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So the dissipator style gas system actually smoothes up the functioning of the gun?  Or is it the same from shorter systems (i.e. carbines) to full sized systems?

Thanks,

Lima

traditional dissy uses a carbine length gas system under rifle length handguards.  Same function as a carbine.

Or do what an above poster mentioned.  have a 20" rifle barrel cut down to 16", open the gas port, and enjoy smoother functioning of a rifle with the length of a carbine.

Of course, mid lengths were designed with this in mind.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
A 'classic' dissipator has built by Bushmaster and others uses the standard carbine gas system. As a result you end up with the gas block under the handguards and a second gas block/front sight base further forward. This adds some weight to the front end.

You can build a dissy on a barrel with a rifle length gas system. Take a 20" barrel and have it shortened. They will also need to open the gas port slightly. This will give a smoother recoil impulse and reduse the weight as you can use a lightweight barrel and have only one gas block.

You can also build a dissy on a midlength barrel.

Lots of options these days with low profile gas blocks and ff handguard tubes that fit over them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
A couple of my early attempts.

A Bushy (ignore the flare thingy - it was a whim, it's gone, I just don't have a more recent picture):

A ban-era DPMS version:
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top