Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:38:42 PM EDT
I noticed a while back that the A2 flash suppressor on my CMMG upper is very slightly off from being perfectly indexed, perhaps 2-3 degrees.  Cosmetically, it's not a problem to me, but it worries me that it may be working its way loose.  I can't say for sure-- it may have always been like this.  Are A2 flash suppressors known to ever work themselves off?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's possible.    Get a new crush washer and reinstall it.   Very easy to do with an action clamp or a barrel vise
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
does it have a crush washer behind it?
it's likely it just wasn't indexed very well, yet it's still tight.

if looking at it from the front (***obvious safety warning***) is the top of the FH
at about 10 or 11 o'clock?

if so, you should be able to crank it down some more to fix it.
overtightened, (1 - 2 o'clock) might need a new washer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't even mess with it unless it's loose.
I once was firing one of my AK's and kept missing the plastic bottle I was aiming at.Over and over.Couldn't figure it out till I looked at the muzzle and my Krink style brake was loose and rotated way to the right.SO if your AR is hitting where you aim and it doesn't bug you then blow it off I say.But it's your AR if it bugs you or is getting more loose then fix it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Where can I order an action clamp or barrel vise?  I think this is the perfect excuse to add the capability to my tools.  Which is preferable for this type of job?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Brownells.com has AR tools.I don't know if they have the absolute best prices on them but they carry just about everything along those lines.
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=432
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Be very careful if you use a crescent wrench to tighten your hider.. Chrome on the wrench is harder than the steel your FH is made from.. You will scratch it or bugger it up if you arent careful.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
it might have just been indexed slightly off.... mark the fh and bbl. and keep an eye on the marks to see if they move after shooting
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:10:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#9]
What barrel is it? If it is one of the 14.7" barrels the FH is pinned and welded. Mine came ~1* off-index.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top