Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 12:36:58 PM EDT
I just bought a Rock River Arms National Match A2. Haven't received it yet (it's being shipped UPS).
What can you guys tell me about these as far as accuracy, reliability and so on. I've heard a lot of good things about RRA and thought this would be a good way to go for competition shooting. I shot this past season with a Springfield M1A and decided I wanted an AR instead, although I'm keeping the M1A.
The range I shoot at uses 200 and 300 yards with a reduced 300 yard target  for 600 yard shooting. Would the 55 or 62 grain bullet be the way to go on this course with the 1:8 twist barrel? I don't reload, but this year I used black hills match ammo in my .308 and was very happy with the performance. Thought about trying the black hills ammo in the .223. I realize most every rifle has a preference for a certain ammo, so I will practice with a few different brands to see which performs the best.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
   Don
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
How about 68s or 69s? You can get Black Hills reloads from Iron Brigade Armory or CheaperThanDirt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I use 68 gr. Black Hills (blue box) heavy match.  I'm not so good with iron sights so I changed out the upper to an A4 design and dropped a Leupold VXII 4-12x40AO on top and it'll shoot 11/16" outside diameter groups.  Still working on a handload for it.  I have no doubt it can do better, but I just haven't had the time (or money) to find out.  The 68 should be fine for 300 yards, if you really want to get out there and shoot at 600 for real, I'd use a 75/77 gr. at least.  Better yet, start reloading.    MJD
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Not reloading puts you at a disadvantage but use the black Hills 68/69 for the 200yd line and use Federal 77 match for the 300yd. Ammo Man has the Fed Match. Set your sights up for 1/4 clicks and use the silicone trick on the charge handle and you will be good to go.

Good luck
                                                     F.A.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My younger brother just got his Expert card in the mail from shooting a RRA NM straight out of the box.  Accuracy?  He cleans rapids.  Reliability?  He cleans rapids.

Shoot either 69s or 77s for short line, what you can afford.  We've shot some matches with the 600 reduced at 300 and the 77s seemed to hold better.  at 200 the 68 BH "Heavy Match" is dandy, haven't tried it at 300, we went right to reloading.  So yeah, learn to reload!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot the RRA NM accross the course and have my Master card.  This year at Camp Perry, I won the Expert class with a service rifle.  I shoot Black Hills, Sierra 77's for 200 and 300.  At 600, I use Berger 80's with 25 gr of Varget.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I shoot the RRA NM accross the course and have my Master card.  This year at Camp Perry, I won the Expert class with a service rifle.  I shoot Black Hills, Sierra 77's for 200 and 300.  At 600, I use Berger 80's with 25 gr of Varget.

I didn't think the 77s could be loaded to mag length?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, 77's for mag length, 80's for single loading.  I have a RRA NM and it will shoot .5moa all day.  Best group I ever got was in the mid .2's, and have had some .3's also.  Love that rifle.  

Cheers,

Phil
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top