Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 5:36:20 AM EDT
I've been wanting a 'knockaround" AR for awhile.  I noticed that Southern Ohio Gun has this listed in their December flyer:

AR-15 A2 Type Carbine .223
Standard A2 Carbine with fixed stock, 20" heavy barrel, detatchable carry handle, bayonet lug, and birdcage flash suppressor. All new condition and comes with 1- 30rd. magazine $499.00

Sounds good except they don't say who put them together nor do they mention who made the reciever and if it's poly, cast or forged. Does anyone have any futher info on these? The price is about the same as building one from a cheap kit and I guess it could be rebuilt as needed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been wanting a 'knockaround" AR for awhile.  I noticed that Southern Ohio Gun has this listed in their December flyer:

AR-15 A2 Type Carbine .223
Standard A2 Carbine with fixed stock, 20" heavy barrel, detatchable carry handle, bayonet lug, and birdcage flash suppressor. All new condition and comes with 1- 30rd. magazine $499.00

Sounds good except they don't say who put them together nor do they mention who made the reciever and if it's poly, cast or forged. Does anyone have any futher info on these? The price is about the same as building one from a cheap kit and I guess it could be rebuilt as needed.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Being that cheap they are likely cast parts and made by either Olympic or Hesse.

You can put together a used rifle from parts aquired from the EE for about that price if you look.

I would pass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
If they are Hesse or Vulcan....

RUN AWAY
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
SOG = POS

I've only seen a few examples, but the ones I've seen looked like 55 year old New Orleans Hookers - rode hard and put up wet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
SOG = POS

I've only seen a few examples, but the ones I've seen looked like 55 year old New Orleans Hookers - rode hard and put up wet.

Really?  Maybe these are factory seconds or thirds or some sort of police trade ins.  Did you see a manufacturer mark?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SOG = POS

Really?  Maybe these are factory seconds or thirds or some sort of police trade ins.  Did you see a manufacturer mark?

Been too long to remember, but they looked like they were cobbled together from many sources
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys. I followed your advice and ran away! I was able to pick up a Model 1 complete upper and Tromix lower cheaply. Now if I can get a hold of a takedown pin I'll be all set!!!

Take Care,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#7]
if you look a the SOG order # they are the same as other vulcan products.  i believe that the yare complete vulcan jobs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top