Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2005 5:39:25 PM EDT
Every time I've handled a RRA National Match, it seems that the movement of the bolt carrier is very rough, almost as if the buffer tube was plastic or something. I recall from all my previous matches that the Colt HBAR I was using had a perfectly smooth bolt carrier travel.

Is this because all RRA guns I've handled have been new, and the Colt well-used? Or is it just the way they feel in normal long-term use?

Also, how come the handguards are so rough compared to the Colt ones? Not saying one is better than the other, I just prefer the Colt handguard texture, or lack of it. Is this a different method of molding RRA uses?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the feeling of the BCG travel just varies from gun to gun and does depend a lot on how used it is.  It's never really been an issue for me so that's all I can offer.  And on the handguard question, there are a lot of outfits that make handguards and presumably the plastic they use, as well as the molds, varies.  For instance, my Bushmaster handguards feel harder and have a smoother texture than my RRA handguards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Is this because all RRA guns I've handled have been new, and the Colt well-used? Or is it just the way they feel in normal long-term use?

Yes, they get smoother as they break in, also rifles are individual among all brands.

Also, how come the handguards are so rough compared to the Colt ones? Not saying one is better than the other, I just prefer the Colt handguard texture, or lack of it. Is this a different method of molding RRA uses?

Rock River NM guards are thermo molded, they are stiffer then the standard and do not flex or pop apart. The texture is desirable as it is a NM meant for competition, your grip and consistency is important in this type of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I know what you're talking about regarding the "rough action" of the RRA NM. It's a by-product of the two-stage trigger. My RRA NM has the same feel you're talking about, but my single-stage RRA lowers do not.

Forward_Assist is right on about the thermomold handguards. All the Highpower/CMP shooters use these handguards.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All the Highpower/CMP shooters use these handguards.

Now THAT definitely is not true. I am a highpower/CMP shooter. God knows how many people do NOT use those handguards.

Hell, this past Perry I didn't even shoot with a free-float tube.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT definitely is not true. I am a highpower/CMP shooter. God knows how many people do NOT use those handguards.

And I am sure we can see your name on the Presidents 100, right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't believe anyone here who said they were....
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You could bet on me
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when did I say I was good enough to be on the President's Hundred? All I said is that I was at Perry and saw this with my own eyes. Do I need to be in the Presidents to know this? If you still think everyone uses RRA handguards, like quoted above ( unless I SOMEHOW misread the statement? ), ask Sgt. Hoskins. He was #100 on the Presidents Hundred. Ask him if I'm not credible enough.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think the feeling of the BCG travel just varies from gun to gun and does depend a lot on how used it is.  It's never really been an issue for me so that's all I can offer.  And on the handguard question, there are a lot of outfits that make handguards and presumably the plastic they use, as well as the molds, varies.  For instance, my Bushmaster handguards feel harder and have a smoother texture than my RRA handguards.

My action loosened/smoothed out after 50 rounds or so. My bushmaster handguards are smoother and thicker feeling than my RRA NM. I was surprised at how flimsy the RRA guards were.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Only 50 rounds? I would think it would take at least 200.

What parts lap to each other that quickly? Maybe the buffer to the buffer tube, or maybe the recoil spring to the buffer tube?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive me, I meant to say all the Highpower shooters around here use them. I didn't finish my thought before I clicked Reply.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since when did I say I was good enough to be on the President's Hundred? All I said is that I was at Perry and saw this with my own eyes. Do I need to be in the Presidents to know this? If you still think everyone uses RRA handguards, like quoted above ( unless I SOMEHOW misread the statement? ), ask Sgt. Hoskins. He was #100 on the Presidents Hundred. Ask him if I'm not credible enough.

Since your above post seems to be directed torward me, yes, you did misread my statement, I never said everyone uses them. If my post was taken as flaming you then I would like to clarify as this was not my intent. The thread from the beginning was about hand guards not float tubes. My point was you could not have done well without a free floated match rifle, since you braught up Perry, I think my post was appropriate, maybe I should have worded it better as it was not meant to be directed at you. Perry draws all kinds of shooters, some are only there for the expierience others are very serious. The serious ones will all have free floated rifles. This is how my post should have read.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My action loosened/smoothed out after 50 rounds or so. My bushmaster handguards are smoother and thicker feeling than my RRA NM. I was surprised at how flimsy the RRA guards were.

Rock River NM handguards are not flimsy. I think you are confusing standard handguards with the NM guards. The NM are thermo moulded the standards are not. If you want to see flimsy on a out of the box NM rifle look at Armalite especially the green ones.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an RRA NM upper, the only part I was disapointed with were the hand guards. The mold quality is poor, and the two halves don't fit tightly together. I pulled them off as well as my Bushmasters and sorry but the Bushmasters are better fitting and more solid feeling than the RRA. That by no means will affect how it performs and maybe I just got a poor fitting set.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
[quote]Quoted:
I have an RRA NM upper, the only part I was disapointed with were the hand guards. The mold quality is poor, and the two halves don't fit tightly together. I pulled them off as well as my Bushmasters and sorry but the Bushmasters are better fitting and more solid feeling than the RRA. That by no means will affect how it performs and maybe I just got a poor fitting set.

You may have. It is possible as is with any molded product. I would send them back as it is definitely not a characteristic of R.R. by any chance are they green?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
No they are black, I won't bother to send them back because like I said it won't hurt the performance of the rifle. I'm not trying to bash RRA, and from the little bit I have had a chance to shoot it I know it will be a good upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top