Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 8:40:44 AM EDT
Newby question: Opinion/Value of Bushmaster M4A2....

I have been looking to purchase one of these type rifles for quite a while, and now have decide now is as good a time as any.

I am unfamiliar with values of these guns of late (post ban), and the different variants/bells and whistles.

Below is a picture of one that is locally for sale and some info that was given along with the pic:

http://blacksunshine.info/zzz/M4A2.jpg

AR-15
This is a .223 Bushmaster M4A2, it's the carbine version. It's got a 16" Fluted NATO barrel, a full collapsable stock, a carrying strap, a 30 round clip and a box of ammo.

Now I offered the guy $750, he then went to $850, have not responded yet, but was thinking of going to $800, but...

I personally am not interested specifically in the fluted barrel, just interested in this style rifle, preferrably a Bushmaster as over the years, that is the name always put up on the pedestal by everyone I have ever talked to about these rifles...

So, question to those of you in the know, what would be a 'good deal' in the price range to pay for this particular rifle and or is there more information that needs to be obtained to put a price on it...

He'p!  I need to make a decision on this guy before someone else snatches it up if it is a good deal..

Thank you for any assistance/opinions offered.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
your in tx so postban preban doesnt matter to you.

that doenst look like a m4a2 since m4 usually refers to the barrel profile. go to bushmaster's site to see whats what.

the rifle looks like it was thrown together, car stock with a fluted bbl. make sure the bbl. is marked with bmp of some sort cause that is a bbl. i have yet to see offered by bm.

the only fluted bbls. i have seen from bushmaster is the modular bbl. which does not have a front sight base just a gas block and it has a free floated handguard. that and the varminter.

it might be a home built rifle and since it looks used i would probably not pay more than $650. you can find new bushmaster's with an actual "m4" profile and brand new for close to $850 with the flattop, removable carry handle or the a2 version a bit cheaper.

look elsewhere for the rifle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I have found on Bushmasters website, they offer fluted for $50 more when purchasing new.

All I know about these, spec wise, is what I have been able to scrounge up on sites like this that I find across the net...

just received a reply from the guy on the barrel, he says it has NATO stamped on it, but says he has not noticed BMP stamped on it, says he will look to see if there is said stamp...
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, you'd have better luck finding a MUCH better rifle at a better price on the Equipment Exchange.

I paid $952 for a BRAND NEW Bushmaster M4A3 2 weeks ago, straight out of the box.

That rifle looks like it's been in someone's attic for a few years. Go to the Exchange and dabble in better toys :-)

-Covert
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Honestly, you'd have better luck finding a MUCH better rifle at a better price on the Equipment Exchange.

I paid $952 for a BRAND NEW Bushmaster M4A3 2 weeks ago, straight out of the box.

That rifle looks like it's been in someone's attic for a few years. Go to the Exchange and dabble in better toys :-)

-Covert

I agree... you can buy a new one for that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a post-ban Bushmaster M4A2 (yes, with the mini-Y compensator designed to piss off other shooters ) and paid $850 for it 18 months ago.  Never seen a M4 with a fluted barrel.  It should be a 14.5" barrel, not 16", to be a M4.  I'd look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the forum.
That weapon is not an M4A2.
Looks like a fluted heavy barrel on a
Bushy lower. Could be a parts gun.
Not worth $800.

Shop around. I've seen Bushmasters
as low as $795 in the A2 configuration.
New, and with the superior GenII butstock.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
It has been said above enuff...

But to add... I have the Bushmaster's "Patrolman's Carbine" and paid $845, brand new, out of the box.  This is the A3 (with the flat top and removeable carry handle)...

Please research the boards more, talk to people more and don't get screwed by someone trying to sell you crap...

Oh, and welcome to the boards and g'luck with your rifle purchase!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
To be clear--The prices on the bushmaster website are MSR and nobody ever pays that price in the real world. Just like sticker price at a car lot,you just don't don't ever pay it.
Try to hit a bunch of local gunshops and see what locals are getting for the new guns. A gun is also similar to a car in that it is only sold as new once and as it goes off the lot (or out the door) it is used and priced that way even  if it is "like new"
Question the way this gun came to be (bought new, built from parts ect. ) Truthfully it doesn't sound like a great deal,certainlly nothing you need to jump on tomorrow.
Guns are also like cars in that about half the guys trying to sell used ones are starting out with a crazy price,some will find a sucker who doesn't know better,most will have to come down quite a bit if they really want to sell .
Bushmaster makes some good solid guns,but there is no need for you to buy extras you don't feel you need (fluted barrel) and this could hurt the resale value .
I would recomend you shop harder for a good used gun at a better price or just pony up a few bucks more for a factory new gun (with full factory warrantee).
There is hardly anything that can't be fixed on a home built gun but it sometimes will make you crazy to find out what kind of weird stuff was done by god only knows who in the build process.
If you do buy used try to set up a range trip to run a couple of mags of ammo thru the gun before you shell out any $s      Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info guys, you have conviced me to walk away from this one...I will search through the equipment exchange and the local shops around town.

Will post up with what I find/purchase.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys, you have conviced me to walk away from this one...I

Good call, U.T.

Look, for an A3 version, as you will enjoy it more long-term a sit opens up your options.

A brand new Bushmaster M4 A3 can be had for no more than $880. LINK HERE

And its a great selection.

Good luck with your eventual choice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]
the last picture in gi_brat's post is what a m4a2 looks like.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I jsut got the new CDNN catalog and they have the bushmaster A3 patrolman (16" barrel/6 position stock) for $800 and that includes the removable carry handle.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you could probabaly do better getting a new AR from Bushy through a local dealer, even McBride's.  That thing looks like it was cobbled together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#15]
WOOOOHOOOO!

ok, I just went down to the local Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a brand new Bushmaster A2 and a soft case, out the door, including tax, $880ish...

I said screw it, tired of searching around, and just decided on a brand new one... :D

Filling out my warranty card now (just got to bring it in the house, the inlaws came into town yesterday, so when I got home with it yesterday, had to leave it in the car so the Wife and inlaws wouldn't see it :D)

Can't wait to go put a few rounds through this baby...

Where is the best place to get one of those 'loop' slings...ie, not the regular type sling...

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
WOOOOHOOOO!

ok, I just went down to the local Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up a brand new Bushmaster A2 and a soft case, out the door, including tax, $880ish...

I said screw it, tired of searching around, and just decided on a brand new one... :D

Filling out my warranty card now (just got to bring it in the house, the inlaws came into town yesterday, so when I got home with it yesterday, had to leave it in the car so the Wife and inlaws wouldn't see it :D)

Where is the best place to get one of those 'loop' slings...ie, not the regular type sling...

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#17]

I just bought this one for my wife. I paid $781.00+ tax BRAND NEW. It has the A-1 sights, and doesn't have a fluted barrel, but as I said it's new. It came from Davidsons to my local dealer and has a LIFETIME FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY! You can't beat it. I like it because it's got the heavy barrel without that cut out for the granade launcher. They sold over 40 of them in less than a week.   billt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Just make sure that Bushmaster gets the FSB on straight...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WOOOOHOOOO!

You talking about a single point sling?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys, you have conviced me to walk away from this one...I will search through the equipment exchange and the local shops around town.

Will post up with what I find/purchase.

Thanks again!

Heritage Firearms on Anderson Mill and 183 is great. So is McBrides, just a few steps away from the campus. McBride's is usually pretty good on price, and will match any price in town.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For the sling, go here.
For some input, go here.
And here.
And here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top