Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2005 6:44:57 PM EDT
I know there's a maintenance section, but I was looking to try and get a quicker response so I posted in here.  What tools do I need for working on my new Bushmaster M4A3 AR?  Also, where should I order them from?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It kind of depends what you want to do....but this is my "kind of expensive but will make your life easy" list.....I cant think of any action you couldnt perform in terms of basic building/assembly with this

-Good Barrel Wrench---Smith enterprises combonation wrench is hands down the best one i have used. All the others broke (dpms twice)

-Good upper vise block---I think the PRI ar15/ar10 product hands down takes the cake. There are other polymer ones that can do a good job too.

-CAR stock wrench---I have one from RRA, but they all seem to get the job done the same

-Bright orange brownelss FSB pin removal/install jig (this makes removing and installing FSBs a breeze!) well worth the money. FSB removal/install can be done without it though

-Good set of various size punches for pin install/removal. Copper is better, i use steel ones though.

-Heavy duty strap wrench- for installing FF tubes. Fabric has held up better than the rubber belts for me

-Front sight adjustment tool- Can be accomplished with a bullet, but the actual tool saves frustration (tons of places have these....be sure to specify A2 for your app.)

-Solid shop  vise! Self explanatory

-Front pushpin retaining spring installation tool....not necessary, but saves headaches from chasing errant springs around on the floor. got mine from fulton armory.

-Allen key set, or flathead screwdriver (depends on how your pistol grip is attached)

-Small hammer

-Rubber mallet
That should be a pretty complete setup for taking it completely apart and putting it back together.
I get basically all my tools from BROWNELLS.com
The PRI vise you can get direct from precision reflex industries, or from WES@MSTN amongst others.
hope that helps....dive in!
John F.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It kind of depends what you want to do....but this is my "kind of expensive but will make your life easy" list.....I cant think of any action you couldnt perform in terms of basic building/assembly with this

-Good Barrel Wrench---Smith enterprises combonation wrench is hands down the best one i have used. All the others broke (dpms twice)

-Good upper vise block---I think the PRI ar15/ar10 product hands down takes the cake. There are other polymer ones that can do a good job too.

-CAR stock wrench---I have one from RRA, but they all seem to get the job done the same

-Bright orange brownelss FSB pin removal/install jig (this makes removing and installing FSBs a breeze!) well worth the money. FSB removal/install can be done without it though

-Good set of various size punches for pin install/removal. Copper is better, i use steel ones though.

-Heavy duty strap wrench- for installing FF tubes. Fabric has held up better than the rubber belts for me

-Front sight adjustment tool- Can be accomplished with a bullet, but the actual tool saves frustration (tons of places have these....be sure to specify A2 for your app.)

-Solid shop  vise! Self explanatory

-Front pushpin retaining spring installation tool....not necessary, but saves headaches from chasing errant springs around on the floor. got mine from fulton armory.

-Allen key set, or flathead screwdriver (depends on how your pistol grip is attached)

-Small hammer

-Rubber mallet
That should be a pretty complete setup for taking it completely apart and putting it back together.
I get basically all my tools from BROWNELLS.com
The PRI vise you can get direct from precision reflex industries, or from WES@MSTN amongst others.
hope that helps....dive in!
John F.

Great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Bravo Co.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for later use
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where can this particular tool be purchased?  I couldn't find it on Brownells.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Front pushpin retaining spring installation tool....not necessary, but saves headaches from chasing errant springs around on the floor. got mine from fulton armory

Where can this particular tool be purchased?

Thanks

www.fulton-armory.com/
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably a dumb question, but is it necessary to have a CAR/M4 Stock tool if you've got an A2 style rifle?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently i have 3 different car stock wrenches.Wait until you get the stock then get the wrench that fits.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#10]
What tools are needed for disassembling the bolt?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top