Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 1:12:01 PM EDT
Anyone know how the green vltor color compares to Cav Arms OD color. Are the 2 colors close enough to look ok on a carbine, or would a black stock be a better choice to use with the Cav Arms OD furniture?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude,
Are you really asking us if the stock matches the handguards?

If they aren't exactly the same shade will the fashion police write you up?

Get the green VLTOR I know it matches the Armalite green close enough, as well as the Magpul XT pannels and the Tango Down battle grip.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They are pretty close, but like already mentioned, its not the end of the world if they aren't exact.  If you are using it to break up the outline of the weapon, it will work fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dude,
Are you really asking us if the stock matches the handguards?

If they aren't exactly the same shade will the fashion police write you up?

Get the green VLTOR I know it matches the Armalite green close enough, as well as the Magpul XT pannels and the Tango Down battle grip.

I knew somebody would post something like this.

Yeah, I would rather not have diff colors all over my carbine. I'm not picking gear based on looks, I have already decided on a Vltor, but they happen to offer color choices.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Of course we're guys - you didn't think you were getting away without a ribbing?

Hey at least I didn't call you a "metrosexual"
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course we're guys - you didn't think you were getting away without a ribbing?

Hey at least I didn't call you a "metrosexual"

No that one was reserved for me when I asked this question a while back Bastards!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
There's just no way to word a question about ar15 furniture colors, and not sound a little gay!

I guess I'm lucky someone didn't tell me to use the search function.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, be glad I didn't tell you to use Norrells and refinish it yourself like a real man!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, sorry, didn't realize that we had Teh Ghey forum now.  First airsoft, now we'll have Pottery Barn banners and a bunch of guys named Steve and Lance.

Anyway, don't worry about the color match.  Roll around in the dirt with it a couple of times and it will all blend in.  Of course, I guess you could just take it with to your mudbath and facial peel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#9]
[obligatory smartass response]After you finish polishing your boyfriends knob just stick a one tampon in your muzzle and another in the ejection port, paint the whole thing pink, and buff it with a maxipad [/obligatory smartass response]

Just kidding, I'd like to know which ODs from various manufacturers match also, specifically what will match Armalite the best.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've decided I just don't like that light green color Vltor uses. Now I'm thinking about getting a black Vltor, and painting a CMT stock I have, to use on the carbine that has the OD furniture.

What kind of paint do you guys use to paint ar's?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
boy, tough crowd

I understand that VLTOR and Tangodown are very close and Magpul and Cav Arms are very close

However, I understand that VLTOR changed its shade of coyote brown to match Magpul and Cav Arms.

Dunno though, I have not seen them in person at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyway, back to the stock. I just don't like that light green color Vltor uses. Now I'm thinking about getting a black Vltor, and painting a CMT stock I have, to use on the carbine that has the OD furniture.

What kind of paint do you guys use to paint ar's?

Norrells is the best, but you have to bake it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If you use Norrells on plastics, just lower the temp and increase the curing time.  Its all written down somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Vltor changed its green and tan colors to a darker shade of each. You can still find both colors though. The new tan is called flat dark earth and  it is what I have on my SBR (pictured here somewhere).
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#15]
At least no one was looking for accessories to match that new Magpul follower!!! Jeesh.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of Viltor buttstock & Cav Arms grip & forestock.  Taken witha flash - natural light is lacking in WPa this morning.  Viltor is a lighter shade.  I can live with the difference, but others may not.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool photos. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The funny thing is that the vltor rubber butt pad is a darker OD color than the stock. The same color as the above pictured grip I may add.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The funny thing is that the vltor rubber butt pad is a darker OD color than the stock. The same color as the above pictured grip I may add.

Different materials take the dyes differently I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The Vltor green matches both Tango Down & Knights' OD panels. If you want the darker OD, which is what the Magpul 93B & CavArms is, you have to either get the ladder style rail covers or those rubber ones. You can also get a CavArms forend (M4 style or regular) which is what I did on my RRA/Giffman middy. The other middy has a green Vltor stock & matching TD panels & VFG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top