Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2005 5:20:37 PM EDT
Iknow,Iknow, stick with the ABCs I have a couple of colts@bushys. But I was thinking about getting one chamberd in one of the WSSM cal. for predator hunting. Can you get decent accuracy out of their rifles? I would appreciate any input. Thanks,
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there are many complaints regarding accuracy.  They tend to do pretty well in that department.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
prepare for a pissing contest and gunsnobs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTL.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My go fast is an Oly... I have no issues with it at all...

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
They are plenty accurate.  They just don't hold up that well.  Although I saw one run 800 rounds of Wolf with no problems in one day.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah , get an Oly.

Then swap the uppers between your Colt and Bushy

And be sure to post pics !  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Not trying to get a pissin match started and I hope it doesnt turn into one. Ive never had the chance to fondle one at the range. For the price it seems hard to beat for one of the hot rod calibers
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah , get an Oly.

Then swap the uppers between your Colt and Bushy

And be sure to post pics !  

Sonofabitch!! Oly M16 on the far right.. All of my other branded uppers fit!!!!!!!!!

Bushmasters are pictured but Ive got 2 old Colts that fit too!!!! Can this be?? Can the internet be wrong??

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my Oly carbine for the most part. The only gripe I have is the stock. It seems like when they molded it they left sharp edges. Easily fixed with the dremel. As far as accuracy it's dead on.

Also fired 300 rds. of wolf today and the only problem was the time spent cleaning it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#11]
As long as you get a good one out of the box and don't have to deal with the company again, you should be good to go.  I've owned several and sold them all because of issues with the company - I used to be a dealer.  I can go into horror stories, but won't.

Their finish was never that great and fit can be hit or miss - but if you just plan to use the rifle for hunting and not polishing over the mantle, you should be good to go!  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine shoots fine and I've only had jams with a non milspec mag. Threw that mag out and its been great since. The finish isnt that great on the upper, but it works just fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]
"As long as you get a good one out of the box and don't have to deal with the company again, you should be good to go. I've owned several and sold them all because of issues with the rifle/company -  

Their finish was never that great and fit can be hit or miss - but if you just plan to use the rifle for hunting and not polishing over the mantle, you should be good to go! "

+1
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting ready to buy one... a 9mm, but still an Oly.

Odds are, most people who trash them is because Oly's somehow don't make as good a safe queen as an Armalite or Colt.

ETA: Just got an email reply from Atlantic Fireamrs... Olympic rifles are a 4-6 MONTH wait.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, this post has been up for 3+ hours, and not all of the Olybashers have shown up yet.  This is amazing...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They just don't hold up that well.  hinking.gif

Neither does Colt's lawsuits!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They just don't hold up that well.  

Neither does Colt's lawsuits!

BURN!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was thinking about getting one chamberd in one of the WSSM cal. for predator hunting. Can you get decent accuracy out of their rifles?

Oly actually has a very good reputation for accuracy.  Most of their problems seem to do with interchangeability, and the upper that came on my Oly rifle will not fit any other lower I have ever found.  On a dedicated predator setup that shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#19]
I have owned an Oly for about three years now.

Have about 4000 rounds of Wolf polymer thru it.

No complaints.

I'm not a match shooter though, and I don't swap uppers. I've heard much complaint about interchangability of parts which is probably valid.

However for an occasional hunter and novice target shooter like me it works fine..
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#20]
My 1st AR was a 16" OLY.....ran about 4000 rounds of the old green laquered wolf through it with 4 FTE's that I can remember. Sold it last year for a profit....
The only thing I ever replaced was the extractor, because it felt like the right thing to do.....not neccisarliy because I had to.

My only words of advice, invest in a chamber brush, and clean your rifle after you use it......half of the so called "problems" seem to be lack of care because the internet said I don't need to clean my gun. ( and it's SO much worse on the AK side.....)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a OLY in 45 acp and have not had a problem with it ! It kind of reminds me of the old timex saying { it takes a licking and keeps on ticking }  Go ahead and buy a OLY, if you do not like it there are plenty of people here to buy or trade it off your hands. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Had a re manufactured PRE BAN lower right before the ban lifted. I have to say that the fit and finish of that lower rivaled most other brands out there. Fluke? Maybe, but it was nice right up until I traded it off to a brother behind enemy lines.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm getting ready to buy one... a 9mm, but still an Oly.

Odds are, most people who trash them is because Oly's somehow don't make as good a safe queen as an Armalite or Colt.

ETA: Just got an email reply from Atlantic Fireamrs... Olympic rifles are a 4-6 MONTH wait.

Hmmm my FFL got mine in 3 weeks. Perhaps it pertains to different models.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Check out the latest issue (December 2005) of Gun Tests.  They did a review of the Oly K3B.  Positive review.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#25]
No problems so far with my Oly carbine, accuracy or otherwise. I would like to know how you do with the wssm. Sounds like a good idea, will experience bear it out? Let us know!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Friend of mine has an Oly 20" AR, and has never had a problem with it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I own and fire several different Oly weapons including my duty patrol carbine and an OA-93 pistol.  I have had no problems with any of the weapons and will be purchasing more Oly Arms weapons.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My first AR15 was an Oly. By far my most accurate AR15. Never had any issues with it. You get a lot of gun for the money as well
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm leaning towards the 25wssm I think it would be a helluva coyote thumper also a good deer round if the need arises. Kinda duel purpose(makes it easier to justify buying something new when you have many needs for it, at least thats what I tell my wife) Looks like Im going to add a Oly to the collection. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I think the folks that started the Oly bashing threads in the past have had to shut up due to the fact that there is nothing wrong with Olympic Arms. I used to own a very early 1980's production Oly that was very accurate and extremely reliable.

The MOST unreliable AR I have ever owned was a ......no....can it be? A COLT.

Nothing wrong with Oly and they don't spend their days suing the firearms industry like a bunch of fat, spoiled kids.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#31]
ALL my guns are Olympic ARMS!  I swear by them!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Ignore the troll replies that take place 2 weeks after the last reply. The Olybashers have nothing better to do with their free time, than to search out threads with Olympic in the text, and leave troll-like replies. Kool aid apparently does ruin the brain.

Pretty sad!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#33]
The problems with oly uppers not fitting other lowers was due to manufacturing problems that were fixed many years ago.  I had a 243 WSSM upper that was very nice and very accurate.  I've since decided to go with the 6.5 Grendel due to the soon to be available high capacity mags and cheap ammo.  If you're interested my father has my old 243 WSSM AR listed on Gunsamerica.  It's built on a Mega lower with a Jard single stage match trigger.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ignore the troll replies that take place 2 weeks after the last reply. The Olybashers have nothing better to do with their free time, than to search out threads with Olympic in the text, and leave troll-like replies. Kool aid apparently does ruin the brain.

Pretty sad!

Sir, I live near the Olympic factory and have friends who have and do work there. I speak from experience.

OAI can make a decent product, and late model weapons seem to be of higher quality. They make some of the BEST accurate AR barrels in the business. However, they cut too many corners in many regards, in an attempt to keep the price down. Their quality control has NOTHING on Colt, LMT, CMT or BFI.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sad!

Sir, I live near the Olympic factory and have friends who have and do work there. I speak from experience.

OAI can make a decent product, and late model weapons seem to be of higher quality. They make some of the BEST accurate AR barrels in the business. However, they cut too many corners in many regards, in an attempt to keep the price down. Their quality control has NOTHING on Colt, LMT, CMT or BFI.

Don't try to wake up the OLY Zombies!  They can't be reasoned with!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sad!

CJ, your point is?

I wasn't arguing that Olympics QC was any better or worse than that of Colt, LMT, CMT, or BFI. I was commenting on the fact that most of the Oly bashers sound like a broken record. Adding nothing of value to the thread, except for the self-entertainment that they so long for. It also appears to be the same ones, over, and over, and over again.

Not everyone has the need for a $1500 glass of Kool-Aid.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Typical response. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical response. Thanks.

No sweat, Chet!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Not everyone has the need for a $1500 glass of Kool-Aid.

Very true, and I have made that statement before. I seem to be on a personal crusade of late to dispel the notion that many shooters have that all the extra money for Colt/LMT/CMT rifles is wasted.

Many shooters will be well suited with an OAI rifle. If it breaks (all makers build rifles that break...eventually) then they can pack it up and go home early. Those that don't get to choose when they shelve the rifle (and I am not one) should opt for something better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Look, Mud.

I appreciate that you are an AR newb.  I would be ass hurt too if I wasted some cash on an OLY and came to find out that I can't REALLY count on it to go the long haul.

When I was new I asked around when I was SO Close to getting an Olympic Arms, and THANKFULLY I talked to someone who new better and they advised me that Oly was crap and I should steer clear of it.

I choose to pass that wisdom on to WHOMEVER will be wise enough to listen.  I'm glad I didn't get burned and others should have the same opportunity to make an informed decision too.

w00t! and good night!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Pretty sad!

oly is a shity company who builds inferior products, you should see what they did when they made FALs
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got a couple Oly M16's; a Colt M16, and some Bushy's that I run with a LL.  Personally, I think the Bushies look the nicest, but they are all a quality gun, IN MY OPINION.  I know I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds thru my Oly, and thousands of 7.62x39 rounds thru it too.  No problems at all.  Also, I've got a bunch of uppers and all of them interchange without a problem, even on the Olys!!  Wow!!!  Maybe the internet was wrong?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Look, Mud.

I appreciate that you are an AR newb.  I would be ass hurt too if I wasted some cash on an OLY and came to find out that I can't REALLY count on it to go the long haul.

When I was new I asked around when I was SO Close to getting an Olympic Arms, and THANKFULLY I talked to someone who new better and they advised me that Oly was crap and I should steer clear of it.

I choose to pass that wisdom on to WHOMEVER will be wise enough to listen.  I'm glad I didn't get burned and others should have the same opportunity to make an informed decision too.

w00t! and good night!

nevermind, just not worth the time...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#44]
My first AR was a 20" SGW CAR-15 (Olympic Arms) I liked it so much I bought another Olympic.
Then I bought a 16" Olympic upper and that is what I carry on duty at work.  The old S.G.W. with the 16" Oly upper.  Never a problem with any of them.  I am 100% sold on Olympic Arms.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I wouldn't mind an Oly Barrel.. was considering using one of their uppers infact..

No need now though, I just dropped the cash into tools, can build an upper for cheaper and I dislike the finish used on Oly recievers.....

Is there a place to get just barrels?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I wouldn't mind an Oly Barrel.. was considering using one of their uppers infact..

No need now though, I just dropped the cash into tools, can build an upper for cheaper and I dislike the finish used on Oly recievers.....

Straight from OAI? They do custom contours as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Straight from OAI? They do custom contours as well.

Must have to call them.... I might do that come Monday.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#48]
That's like asking if you should tag your sister.  I got an oly catalog.  I am completely unimpressed with  Olympic in the following ways:

* web site looks like it was set up by little sisters of the poor and blind, makes me wonder how unprofessional the rest of the business is
* over priced guns versus their limited options

Of course this post is worthless because I never fired one.  But I just couldn't get myself to buy one when there are so many other options out there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Maybe the internet was wrong?

Impossible!
If your friend's brother's barber heard it from a guy at a bar, who heard it from a guy at a gunshow, who read it on the internet...you know the information is reliable.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I purchased a OLY PCR-8 2 years ago. It's shot 1/2" 100yd groups ever since. The fit in mine is tight but I noticed other OLY's on the shelf had some minor play between the lower and upper, I passed it off as rifles that had to much shop handling. Recently I purchased an upper from Dedicated Technology in 25WSSM that shoots close to the same MOA but it doesn't fit my lower quite as tight. It shoots so well that I just filled the space dif. with black plastic tape and called it good(fits tight now).
Since you already have an AR you might want to check out  this site (www.dtechsuperstore.com).
 Wirebrush I'd like to hear what you have to say about your Jard Trigger. Do you still use them? What did you like or dislike about them?
    I dont think you'll have a 4 to 6 mo. wait either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top