Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 7:50:30 PM EDT
I am not considering this right now but after reading all the posts about some not liking a 20" H-Bar I wondered how hard it is to change a barrel?
I am very new to AR15s, but I know what is involved in changing a barrel on a Mauser, or other,  bolt action. I also know how easy it is to change a barrel on a Ruger 10/22.
My Colt has a 20" H-Bar. If I change it I would look at a 16" barrel but be tempted to stay with a heavy barrel, or go with a medium weight barrel. I don't think I would like a lightweight but having never used one I may be wrong.
Anyway, how hard is an AR barrel change?
Can I use my existing B/BC/CH and the rest of the upper, so my only cost would be the barrel?
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Build it yourself is tacked thread.  Good info.

Change the bolt with each barrel.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

And you can use everything else....   As long as the bolt you have is not excessivley worn, it will work fine with your new barrel.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Jim,
If you have a 20" HBAR you have 2 options.
1) Turn the barrel down to A2 profile (it will save 1lbs of weight and will be noticably lighter).

or
2) Change the barrel.

Changing a barrel isn't hard if you have the tools.  All it takes is a vice, barrel or receiver block, barrel wrench, torque wrench, pin punch, some moly disulfide grease (w/o graphite), and a copy of the -23 (free from this site).  Not a difficult job at all if you mechanically inclined.  Should take 15-20 minutes if you go slow and follow the -23 step by step.  With practice/experience it only takes a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link!
Forest, I have a very good friend who retired from the Air Force, as an armorer. He said he still has all his tools.
I also have a mill and a lathe. I'll figure something out.
I was asking because to change a bolt actions barrel requires reaming the final chamber for headspacing. I didn't think that would be an issue, but asking is free.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
as long as we are talking barrel changes, how much does it cost for someone to do it for you (I don't have any of the tools currently)?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
as long as we are talking barrel changes, how much does it cost for someone to do it for you (I don't have any of the tools currently)?

A gunsmith could charge anything... depending on how long it took him, or what his hourly rates are.  Typical is $50 to $100.... especially if you want it boresighted.

You could always post in your local hometown forums, and see if a local who has the tools will help you out.  I do them all the time for the DFW crowd.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was asking because to change a bolt actions barrel requires reaming the final chamber for headspacing. I didn't think that would be an issue, but asking is free.

You are right it's not an issue.  As you are probably aware AR barrels come headspaced from the factory courtesy of the barrel extension.

As for turning down the barrel, you could have it done right (complete with a re-park job) from ADCO.com or AR15barrels.com.  Both do good work at reasonable prices..
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I would probably just keep this barrel as is and buy another. Especially since Falarak lives in DFW like me, has the tools, and...

Jim
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top