Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:06:28 AM EDT
Do i punch the roll pin out? It doesn't seem to want to move. I have a winter trigger guard on and was going to switch to a magpul.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  I believe the trigger guard rollpin install/removal is the most dangerous part of working on a lower.  Fragile shit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, drift it out with a punch and hammer.  SUPPORT THE OTHER SIDE with a peice of wood with a hole drilled in it.

If you DON'T support the other SIDE.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Huh, whaaa????

- rem

Quoted:
Yes.  I believe the trigger guard rollpin install/removal is the most dangerous part of working on a lower.  Fragile shit.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, punch it out, but be sure to support the receiver and use a the right size punch.

ETA:  I'm slow today.

The ears surrounding the trigger guard are the thinnest part of the lower receiver.  If you whack them the wrong way, they'll break off.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh I see what you mean. Roger that. Thanks for the help guys.

Now I just gotta order a new drift punch set and find some wood to support it, and possibly borrow a drill from a neighbor. God I hate not having lots of tools and a workbench in my garage.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ahhh I see what you mean. Roger that. Thanks for the help guys.

Now I just gotta order a new drift punch set and find some wood to support it, and possibly borrow a drill from a neighbor. God I hate not having lots of tools and a workbench in my garage.

- rem

Just go to Sears and get some Craftsman punches.  The book says 5 but you can get by with three.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:05:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Huh, whaaa????

- rem

Quoted:

I mean it is easy to break the ear of the trigger guard when pounding the rollpin in or out if the ear is not supported well.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Pinch it into the lower with a pair of pliers like shown in the lower building section of the "build it yourself" forum.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top